Interactions between dry-air entrainment, surface evaporation and convective boundary-layer development
Article first published online: 3 JUN 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 135, Issue 642, pages 1277–1291, July 2009 Part A
How to Cite
van Heerwaarden, C. C., Vilà-Guerau de Arellano, J., Moene, A. F. and Holtslag, A. A. M. (2009), Interactions between dry-air entrainment, surface evaporation and convective boundary-layer development. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 135: 1277–1291. doi: 10.1002/qj.431
- Issue published online: 27 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 3 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 20 APR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 APR 2009
- Manuscript Received: 27 JAN 2009
- Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research
- 1994. Relation between equilibrium evaporation and the saturation pressure budget. Boundary-layer Meteorol. 71: 235–245.
- 2004. Understanding hydrometeorology using global models. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 85: 1673–1688.
- 2006. Dynamics of sheared convective boundary layer entrainment. Part I: methodological background and large-eddy simulations. J. Atmos. Sci. 63: 1151–1178. ,
- 1994. Equilibrium evaporation beneath a growing convective boundary layer. Boundary-layer Meteorol. 70: 37–49.
- 1983. A model for the Priestley-Taylor parameter α. J. Appl. Meteorol. 32: 572–578.
- 1982. A simple parameterization of the surface fluxes of sensible and latent heat during daytime compared with the Penman–Monteith concept. J. Appl. Meteorol. 21: 1610–1621. ,
- 2004. Influence of soil moisture on boundary-layer cloud development. J. Hydrometeorol. 5: 86–99. ,
- 1994. Daytime evolution of relative humidity at the boundary-layer top. Mon. Weather Rev. 122: 2709–2721. ,
- 2001. Boundary-layer clouds and vegetation–atmosphere feedbacks. J. Climate 14: 180–197. , , ,
- 1992. The sensitivity of regional transpiration to land-surface characteristics: significance of feedback. J. Climate 5: 683–698. ,
- 2007. Hydrologic and atmospheric controls on initiation of convective precipitation events. Water Resour. Res. 43: W03421. DOI: 10.1029/2006WR004954. , , , , , , ,
- 1986. A mixed-layer model for regional evaporation. Boundary-layer Meteorol. 34: 243–262. ,
- 1965. Evaporation and environment. Sympos. Soc. Exp. Biol. 19: 205–224.
- 2006. Representing sheared convective boundary layer by zeroth- and first-order-jump mixed-layer models: Large-eddy simulation verification. J. Appl. Meteorol. 45: 1224–1243. , ,
- 1972. On the assessment of surface heat flux and evaporation using large-scale parameters. Mon. Weather Rev. 100: 81–92. ,
- 1991. Vegetation-atmosphere interaction in homogeneous and heterogeneous terrain: some implications of mixed-layer dynamics. Plant Ecology 91: 105–120. DOI: 10.1007/BF00036051.
- 2000. Equilibrium evaporation and the convective boundary layer. Boundary-layer Meteorol. 96: 107–141.
- 2001. Combination theory and equilibrium evaporation. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 127: 1149–1181.
- 2007. Convective planetary boundary-layer interactions with the land surface at diurnal time scales: Diagnostics and feedbacks. J. Hydrometeorol. 8: 1082–1097. , ,
- 2009. Soil moisture feedbacks on convection triggers: the role of soil-plant hydrodynamics. J. Hydrometeorol. 10: 96–112. , ,
- 1998. Structure of the entrainment zone capping the convective atmospheric boundary layer. J. Atmos. Sci. 55: 3042–3064. , , , ,
- 1973. A model for the dynamics of the inversion above a convective boundary layer. J. Atmos. Sci. 30: 558–567.
- 1981. Basic entrainment equations for the atmospheric boundary layer. Boundary-layer Meteorol. 20: 515–531.
- 2008. Sensitivity of the PBL and precipitation in 12-day simulations of warm-season convection using different land surface models and soil wetness conditions. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 2321–2343. , , , ,
- 1999. Entrainment parameterization in convective boundary layers. J. Atmos. Sci. 56: 813–828. , ,
- 2007. Role of nocturnal turbulence and advection in the formation of shallow cumulus over land. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 133: 1615–1627.