Special Issue Article
The 11 August 2006 squall-line system as observed from MIT Doppler radar during the AMMA SOP
Article first published online: 3 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Supplement: Advances in understanding atmospheric processes over West Africa through the AMMA field campaign
Volume 136, Issue S1, pages 209–226, January 2010
How to Cite
Chong, M. (2010), The 11 August 2006 squall-line system as observed from MIT Doppler radar during the AMMA SOP. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 136: 209–226. doi: 10.1002/qj.466
- Issue published online: 11 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 3 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 13 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 9 DEC 2008
- 1995. Atlantic tropical systems of 1993. Mon. Weather Rev. 123: 887–896. , .
- 1976. Structure and motion of tropical squall-lines over Venezuela. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 102: 395–404. , , .
- 1991. Kinematic and precipitation structure of the 10–11 June 1985 squall line. Mon. Weather Rev. 119: 3034–3065. , .
- 1989. Doppler-radar analysis of a tropical cyclone over land: Hurricane Alicia (1983) in Oklahoma. Mon. Weather Rev. 117: 2594–2611. , .
- 1994. Synthetic dual-Doppler analysis of mesoscale convective systems. Mon. Weather Rev. 122: 2105–2124. , , , .
- 2008. Dust emissions over the Sahel associated with the West African monsoon intertropical discontinuity region: A representative case-study. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 621–634. , , , , , , .
- 1998. A multiple-Doppler synthesis and continuity adjustment technique (MUSCAT) to recover wind components from Doppler radar measurements. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 15: 343–359. , .
- 1994. The transition zone and secondary maximum of radar reflectivity behind a mid-latitude squall line: Results retrieved from Doppler radar data. J. Atmos. Sci. 51: 2733–2755. , .
- 1995a. Diagnosis of hydrometeor profiles from area-mean vertical-velocity data. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 121: 23–53. , .
- 1995b. Melting and freezing in a mesoscale convective system. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 121: 55–77. , .
- 1994. A numerical study of the stratiform region of a fast-moving squall line. Part I: General description and water and heat budgets. J. Atmos. Sci. 51: 2046–2074. , , .
- 1995. A numerical study of the stratiform region of a fast-moving squall line. Part I I: Relationship between mass, pressure, and momentum fields. J. Atmos. Sci. 52: 331–352. , , .
- 2008. North Atlantic hurricanes contributed by African easterly waves north and south of the African easterly jet. J. Climate 21: 6767–6776. , , .
- 2001. On the application of MUSCAT to a ground-based dual-Doppler radar system. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 78: 133–139. , .
- 2000. A formulation of the continuity equation of MUSCAT for either flat or complex terrain. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 17: 1556–1564. , .
- 1989. A tropical squall line observed during the COPT 81 experiment in West Africa. Part II: Water budget. Mon. Weather Rev. 117: 728–744. , .
- 1983. Three-dimensional wind field analysis from dual-Doppler radar data. Part II: Minimizing the error due to temporal evolution. J. Appl. Meteorol. 22: 1216–1226. , , .
- 1987. A tropical squall line observed during the COPT 81 experiment in West Africa. Part I: Kinematic structure inferred from dual-Doppler radar data. Mon. Weather Rev. 115: 670–694. , , , .
- 2000. Real-time wind synthesis from Doppler radar observations during the Mesoscale Alpine Programme. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 81: 2953–2962. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Increase of the aerosol hygroscopicity by aqueous mixing in a mesoscale convective system: A case study from the AMMA campaign. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss. 8: 10057–10103. , , , , , .
- 1980. Properties of African squall lines inferred from time-lapse satellite imagery. Mon. Weather Rev. 108: 153–168. .
- 1988. Numerical simulation of a mid-latitude squall line in two dimensions. J. Atmos. Sci. 45: 3846–3879. , .
- 2007. Deep convective system evolution over Africa and the tropical Atlantic. J. Climate 20: 5041–5060. , .
- 1982. Errors in fixed and moving frames of reference: Applications for conventional and Doppler radar analysis. J. Atmos. Sci. 39: 2279–2300. .
- 1982. Mesoscale air motions associated with a tropical squall line. Mon. Weather Rev. 110: 118–135. , .
- 2000. Observation of precipitation systems over complex orography with meteorological Doppler radars: A feasibility study. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 72: 185–202. , , .
- 1945. Meteorology of Nigeria and adjacent territory. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 71: 231–262. , , .
- 1988. Comparison of two methods for the retrieval of thermodynamic and microphysical variables from Doppler radar measurements: Application to the case of a tropical squall line. J. Atmos. Sci. 45: 1285–1303. , , .
- 2007. West African storm tracks and their relationship to Atlantic tropical cyclones. J. Climate 20: 2468–2483. , , , .
- 1977. Structure and dynamics of a tropical squall-line system. Mon. Weather Rev. 105: 1540–1567. .
- 2004. Mesoscale convective systems. Rev. Geophys. 42: RG4003, DOI:10.1029/2004RG000150. .
- 1981. Convection in GATE. Rev. Geophys. 19: 541–576. , .
- 1984. Air motion and precipitation structure of an early summer squall line over eastern tropical Atlantic. J. Atmos. Sci. 41: 553–574. , .
- 1989. Interpretation of Doppler weather radar displays in mid-latitude mesoscale convective systems. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 70: 608–619. , , , .
- 1990. Mesoscale organization of springtime rainstorms in Oklahoma. Mon. Weather Rev. 118: 613–654. , , .
- 2007. The TRMM Multisatellite Precipitation Analysis (TMPA): Quasi-global, multiyear, combined-sensor precipitation estimates at fine scales. J. Hydrometeorol. 8: 38–55. , , , , , , , , .
- 1969. On the distribution and continuity of water substance in atmospheric circulation. Meteorol. Monogr. 32: 84 pp. .
- 1992. The synthetic dual-Doppler analysis technique. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 9: 728–745. , .
- 1989. A numerical investigation of the organization and interaction of the convective and stratiform regions of tropical squall lines. J. Atmos. Sci. 46: 521–544. , .
- 2008. ‘Forecaster's guide for West African Synthetic Analysis/Forecast.’ Report of AMMA Project No. 004089, 11 pp. Available online at https://www.amma-eu.org/sections/work_packages/process-studies/wp2_1/deliverables/. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The extremely active 1995 Atlantic hurricane season: Environmental conditions and verification of seasonal forecasts. Mon. Weather Rev. 126: 1174–1193. , , , .
- 1979. The structure and evolution of convection in a tropical cloud cluster. J. Atmos. Sci. 36: 437–457. , .
- 1983. Bulk parameterization of the snow field in a cloud model. J. Appl. Meteorol. 22: 1065–1092. , , .
- 1974. Fall speeds and masses of solid precipitation particles. J. Geophys. Res. 79: 2185–2197. , .
- 2008. Observation of the diurnal cycle in the low troposphere of West Africa. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 3477–3500. , , , .
- 1993. The 12/13 January 1988 narrow cold-frontal rainband observed during MFDP/FRONTS 87. Part II: Microphysics. J. Atmos. Sci. 50: 975–998. , , .
- 2002a. Relationship between easterly waves and mesoscale convective systems over the Sahel. Geophys. Res. Lett. 29: 1216, DOI:10.1029/2001GL014371. , , .
- 2002b. Mesoscale convective system rainfall in the Sahel. J. Appl. Meteorol. 41: 1081–1092. , , .
- 1992. Organized convective systems: Archetypal dynamical models, mass and momentum flux theory, and parametrization. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 118: 819–850. .
- 1977. The relationship of satellite inferred convective activity to easterly waves over West Africa and the adjacent ocean during Phase III of GATE. Mon. Weather Rev. 105: 413–420. , .
- 2006. African Monsoon Multidisciplinary Analysis. An international research project and field campaign. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 87: 1739–1746. , , , , , .
- 1977. The structure and properties of African wave disturbances as observed during Phase III of GATE. Mon. Weather Rev. 105: 317–333. , , .
- 2009. Evolution of the water stable isotopic composition of the rain sampled along Sahelian squall lines. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136: s1 228–243. , , , , .
- 1990. Single-Doppler observations of a West African squall line on 27–28 May 1981 during COPT 81: Kinematics, thermodynamics and water budget. Mon. Weather Rev. 118: 1826–1854. , .
- 1993. On the generation of African squall lines. J. Climate 6: 1181–1193. , .
- 1983. The mesoscale and microscale structure and organization of clouds and precipitation in mid-latitude cyclones. VIII: A model for the ‘seeder–feeder’ process in warm-frontal rainbands. J. Atmos. Sci. 40: 1185–1206. , .
- 1984. The mesoscale and microscale structure and organization of clouds and precipitation in mid-latitude cyclones. XII: A diagnostic modeling study of precipitation development in narrow cold-frontal rainbands. J. Atmos. Sci. 41: 2949–2972. , .
- 2006. Stratiform precipitation production over sub-Saharan Africa and the tropical east Atlantic as observed by TRMM. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 132: 2235–2255. , .
- 1994. Three-dimensional evolution of simulated long-lived squall lines. J. Atmos. Sci. 51: 2563–2584. , , .
- 1987. Rear inflow in squall lines with trailing stratiform precipitation. Mon. Weather Rev. 115: 2869–2889. , .
- 2007. Characterization of the diurnal cycle of the West African monsoon around the monsoon onset. J. Climate 20: 4014–4032. , , .
- 2001. African easterly wave variability and its relationship to Atlantic tropical cyclone activity. J. Climate 14: 1166–1179. , .
- 1993. An analysis of the conditional instability of the tropical atmosphere. Mon. Weather Rev. 121: 21–36. , .
- 1996. Momentum budget of a squall line with trailing stratiform precipitation: Calculations with a high-resolution numerical model. J. Atmos. Sci. 53: 3629–3652. , .
- 1954. Iterative methods for solving partial difference equations of elliptic type. Trans. Am. Math. Soc. 76: 92–111. .
- 2006. An automated 2D multipass Doppler radar velocity dealiasing scheme. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 23: 1239–1248. , .
- 1969. The role of organized unsaturated convective downdrafts in the structure and rapid decay of an equatorial disturbance. J. Appl. Meteorol. 8: 799–814. .
- 1977. Mesoscale and convective-scale downdrafts as distinct components of squall-line structure. Mon. Weather Rev. 105: 1568–1589. .