The contribution of George N. Kiladis to this article was prepared as part of his official duties as a United States Federal Government employee.
Special Issue Article
A climatological study of transient–mean-flow interactions over West Africa
Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Supplement: Advances in understanding atmospheric processes over West Africa through the AMMA field campaign
Volume 136, Issue S1, pages 397–410, January 2010
How to Cite
Leroux, S., Hall, N. M. J. and Kiladis, G. N. (2010), A climatological study of transient–mean-flow interactions over West Africa. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 136: 397–410. doi: 10.1002/qj.474
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 11 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 13 JAN 2009
- French Ministry of ‘Enseignement superieur et Recherche’
- 2009. Case-study of a developing AEW during NAMMA: an energetic point of view. J. Atmos. Sci. 66: 2991–3020. , .
- 2005. Case study of an intense African easterly wave. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 752–766. , .
- 2007. African easterly waves during 2004, analysis using objective techniques. Mon. Weather Rev. 135: 1251–1267. , , .
- 1972. The origin and structure of easterly waves in the lower troposphere of North Africa. J. Atmos. Sci. 29: 77–90. .
- 1969. Synoptic histories of three African disturbances that developed into Atlantic hurricanes. Mon. Weather Rev. 97: 256–276. .
- 1966. The scree test for the number of factors. Multivariate Behavioral Res. 1: 245–276. .
- 1962. On the stability of internal baroclinic jets in a rotating atmosphere. J. Atmos. Sci. 19: 159–172. , .
- 2009. The impact of moist processes on the African Easterly Jet–African Easterly Wave system. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 894–913. , , .
- 2000. Climatology of sign reversals of the meridional potential vorticity gradient over Africa and Australia. Mon. Weather Rev. 128: 3890–3900. , .
- 1999. Easterly wave regimes and associated convection over West Africa and tropical Atlantic: results from the NCEP/NCAR and ECMWF reanalyses. Clim. Dyn. 15: 795–822. , , , , .
- 1979. Lanczos filtering in one and two dimensions. J. Appl. Meteorol. 18: 1016–1022. .
- 1990. Convection over tropical Africa and the Atlantic Ocean during northern summer. Part II: Modulation by easterly waves. Mon. Weather Rev. 118: 1855–1869. .
- 2003. Spatiotemporal variability of the relation between African easterly waves and West African squall lines in 1998 and 1999. J. Geophys. Res. 108: 4332–4348. , .
- 2004. Mean state and wave disturbances during Phases I, II, and III of GATE based on ERA-40. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 1661–1683. , , , .
- 2002. Easterly waves over Africa. Part II: Observed and modelled contrasts between wet and dry years. Mon. Weather Rev. 130: 212–225. , , .
- 2004. African easterly waves and their association with precipitation. J. Geophys. Res. 109: 4101–4112. , , , .
- 2006. Three dimensional structure and dynamics of African easterly waves. Part II: Dynamical modes. J. Atmos. Sci. 63: 2231–2245. , , .
- 2003. A comparison of recent reanalysis datasets using objective feature tracking: storm tracks and tropical easterly waves. Mon. Weather Rev. 131: 2012–2037. , , , .
- 1983. The shape, propagation and mean-flow interaction of large-scale weather systems. J. Atmos. Sci. 40: 1595–1612. , , .
- 2007. A study of the energetics of African easterly waves using a regional climate model. J. Atmos. Sci. 64: 421–440. , .
- 2008. On the instability of the African Easterly Jet and the generation of African waves: reversals of the potential vorticity gradient. J. Atmos. Sci. 65: 2130–2151. , .
- ACMAD Forecasters Team. 2008. Large-scale overview of the summer monsoon over West Africa during the AMMA field experiment in 2006. Annales Geophysicae 26: 2569–2595. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2009. The West African Monsoon dynamics. Part IV: Analysis of the 25–90 day variability of convection and the role of the Indian monsoon. J. Climate 22: 1541–1565. , , , , , .
- 2002. NCEP-DOE AMIP-II reanalysis (R-2). Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 83: 1631–1643. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Three dimensional structure and dynamics of African easterly waves. Part I: Observations. J. Atmos. Sci. 63: 2212–2230. , , .
- 2009. On the relationship between African easterly waves and the African easterly jet. J. Atmos. Sci. 66: 2303–2316. , .
- 1996. Description of a complete (interpolated) outgoing longwave radiation dataset. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 77: 1275–1277. , .
- 2004. Intraseasonal variability over tropical Africa during northern summer. J. Climate 17: 2427–2440. .
- 1999. The tropical extratropical interaction between high-frequency transients and the Madden Julian Oscillation. Mon. Weather Rev. 127: 661–677. , .
- 2006. Analysis of convection and its association with African easterly waves. J. Climate 19: 5405–5421. , , .
- 2009. Convectively coupled Kelvin waves over tropical Africa during the boreal summer: structure and variability. J. Climate 21: 6649–6667. , , , .
- 2007. Analysis of the dominant mode of convectively coupled Kelvin waves in the West African Monsoon. J. Climate 20: 1487–1503. , , .
- 2008. The West African Monsoon dynamics. Part III: The quasi-biweekly zonal dipole. J. Climate 21: 1911–1928. , , .
- 2008. An analysis of West African dynamics using a linearized GCM. J. Atmos. Sci. 65: 1182–1203. , , .
- 1995. African easterly waves and convection. Part I: Linear simulations. J. Atmos. Sci. 52: 1657–1679. , , , .
- 1977. The structure and properties of African wave disturbances as observed during Phase III of GATE. Mon. Weather Rev. 105: 317–333. , , .
- 2008. Diagnostic measures for assessing numerical forecasts of African easterly waves. Metetorol. Zeitschrift 17: 209–220. , .
- 2003. The West African Monsoon dynamics. Part II: The ‘preonset’ and ‘onset’ of the summer monsoon. J. Climate 16: 3407–3427. , .
- 1995. An idealized study of African easterly waves. III: More realistic basic states. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 121: 1589–1614. .
- 2001. African easterly wave variability and its relationship to Atlantic tropical cyclone activity. J. Climate 14: 1166–1179. , .
- 1994. An idealized study of African easterly waves. I: A linear view. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 120: 953–982. , .
- 1994. An idealized study of African easterly waves. II: A nonlinear view. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 120: 983–1015. , .
- 2008. Three dimensional structure and dynamics of African easterly waves. Part III: Genesis. J. Atmos. Sci. 65: 3596–3607. , , .
- 2005. Theory, in Intraseasonal Variability in the Atmosphere–Ocean Climate System. Springer-Praxis: New York. pp. 307–351. .