This article was published online on 28 September, 2009. An error was subsequently identified. This notice is included in the online and print versions to indicate that both have been corrected 18 January 2010.
Special Issue Article
Evolution of the stable water isotopic composition of the rain sampled along Sahelian squall lines†
Article first published online: 28 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Supplement: Advances in understanding atmospheric processes over West Africa through the AMMA field campaign
Volume 136, Issue S1, pages 227–242, January 2010
How to Cite
Risi, C., Bony, S., Vimeux, F., Chong, M. and Descroix, L. (2010), Evolution of the stable water isotopic composition of the rain sampled along Sahelian squall lines. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 136: 227–242. doi: 10.1002/qj.485
- Issue published online: 11 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 28 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 26 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 2 DEC 2008
- IPSL project
- AMMA API
- MISTERRE programme
- 2009. Observation and modelling of stable water isotopes as diagnostics of rainfall dynamics over southeastern Australia. J. Geophys. Res. In press. , .
- 2008. Influence of convective processes on the isotopic composition (deltaO18 and deltaD) of precipitation and water vapour in the Tropics. Part 1: Radiative–convective equilibrium and TOGA–COARE simulations. J. Geophys. Res. 113: D19 305–. DOI:10.1029/2008JD009 942. , , .
- 1994. A numerical study of the stratiform region of a fast moving squall line. Part 1: General description and water and heat budgets. J. Atm. Sci 51: 2046–2074. , , .
- 2004. Oxygen-18 variations of rainwater during precipitation: Application of the Rayleigh model to selected rainfalls in Southern France. J. Hydrol. 289: 165–177. , , , .
- 1988. The West African squall line observed on 23 June 1981 during COPT 81: Mesoscale structure and transports. J. Atmos. Sci. 45: 2744–2763. , , , .
- 2009. The 11 August 2006 squall-line system as observed from MIT Doppler radar during the AMMA SOP. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136: s1 210–227. .
- 1990. A tropical squall line observed during the COPT81 experiment in West Africa: Part III: heat and moisture budgets. Mon. Weather Rev. 118: 1696–1706. , .
- 1999. Climatic controls on interannual variability of precipitation delta18O: Simulated influence of temperature, precipitation amount, and vapour source region. J. Geophys. Res. 104: 14 223–14 236. DOI 10.1029/1999JD900182. , , , , .
- 1965. Deuterium and oxygen-18 variations in the ocean and marine atmosphere. Stable Isotope in Oceanographic Studies and Paleotemperatures. , .
- 1964. Stable isotopes in precipitation. Tellus 16: 436–468. .
- 2000. The origin of Antarctic precipitation: A modelling approach. Tellus 52B: 19–36. , , , , .
- 2003. A model of HDO in the tropical tropopause layer. Atmos. Chem. Phys. 3: 2173–2181. , .
- 1991. A scheme for representing cumulus convection in large-scale models. J. Atmos. Sci. 48: 2313–2329. .
- 2008. Isotope ratios of precipitation and water vapour observed in Typhoon Shanshan. J. Geophys. Res. 113: D12 113–. DOI:10.1029/2007JD009 313. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Probing hurricanes with stable isotopes of rain and water vapour. Mon. Weather Rev. 131: 112–1127. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The altitude effect on the isotopic composition of tropical rains. Chem. Geol. 181: 147–167. , , , , .
- 2008. Surface thermodynamics and radiative budget in the Sahelian Gourma: Seasonal and diurnal cycles. J. Hydrol. DOI:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2008.09.007. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Comparison of two methods for the retrieval of thermodynamic and microphysical variables from Doppler radar measurements: application to the case of a tropical squall line. J. Atmos. Sci. 45: 1285–1303. , , .
- 1998. Water isotope module of the ECHAM atmospheric general circulation model: A study on timescales from days to several years. J. Geophys. Res. 103: 16 871–16 896. DOI: 10.1029/98JD00423. , , .
- 1977. Structure and dynamics of a tropical squall line system. Mon. Weather Rev. 105: 1540–1567. .
- coauthors. 2008. Large-scale overview of the summer monsoon over West and Central Africa during the AMMA field experiment in 2006. Ann. Geophys. 26: 2569–2595. , , , ,
- 1991. Simulations of the HDO and H2O-18 atmospheric cycles using the NASA GISS general circulation model: Sensitivity experiments for present-day conditions. J. Geophys. Res. 96: 7495–7507. , , , , , .
- 1969. On the distribution and continuity of water substance in atmospheric circulation. Meteorol. Monographs 32: 84. .
- 1988. Comparison between a three-dimensional simulation and Doppler radar data of a tropical squall line: Transports of mass, momentum, heat and moisture. J. Atmos. Sci. 45: 3483–3500. , , .
- 2008. ‘Amount effect’ of water isotopes and quantitative analysis of post-condensation processes. Hydrol. Processes 22: 1–8. , .
- 2007. Analysis of the global distribution of water isotopes using the NCAR atmospheric general circulation model. J. Geophys. Res. 112: D16 306. DOI:10.1029/2006JD007 657. , , , .
- 1996. A numerical model for the simulation of stable isotope profiles in drying soils. J. Geophys. Res. 101: 12 685–12 696. , .
- 1979. Global climatic interpretation of the Deuterium–Oxygen 18 relationship for precipitation. J. Geophys. Res. 84: 5029–5332. , .
- 1996. ATMOS stratospheric deuterated water and implications for troposphere–stratosphere transport. Geophys. Res. Lett. 23: 2385–2388. DOI: 10.1029/96GL01489. , , , .
- 2002a. Annular variations in moisture transport mechanisms and the abundance of deltaO18 in Antarctic snow. J. Geophys. Res. 107: 4742. DOI:4710.1029/2002JD002 262. , .
- 2002b. Associations between delta18O of water and climate parameters in a simulation of atmospheric circulation for 1979–95. J. Climate 15: 3150–3169. , .
- 2008. Correction of humidity bias for Vaisala RS80-A sondes during the AMMA 2006 observing period. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 25: 2152–2158. , , , , , , .
- 1948. Natural evaporation from open water, bare soil and grass. Proc. R. Soc. London Ser. A 193: 120–145. .
- 1998. Evidence for control of Atlantic subtropical humidity by large scale advection. Geophys. Res. Lett. 25: 4537–4540. , .
- 1987. A three dimensional simulation of a tropical squall line: Convective organisation and thermodynamic vertical transport. J. Atmos. Sci. 47: 1334–1356. , .
- 2006. African Monsoon Multidisciplinary Analysis: An international research project and field campaign. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 87: 1739–1746. , , , , , .
- 1990. Patterns of the isotopic composition of precipitation in time and space: Data from the Israeli storm water collection program. Tellus 42: 263–271. , , , .
- 2008a. Influence of convective processes on the isotopic composition (O18 and D) of precipitation and water vapour in the Tropics: Part 2: Physical interpretation of the amount effect. J. Geophys. Res. 113. , , .
- 2008b. What controls the isotopic composition of the African monsoon precipitation? Insights from event-based precipitation collected during the 2006 AMMA campaign. Geophys. Res. Lett. 35: DOI:10.1029/2008GL035 920. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Observed evolution of tropical deep convective events and their environment. Mon. Weather Rev. 127: 1777–1795. , .
- 1975. Stable isotope fractionation due to evaporation and isotopic exchange of falling waterdrops: Applications to atmospheric processes and evaporation of lakes. J. Geophys. Res. 80: 1133–1146. .
- 1998. Variabilité isotopique à I'échelle infra-événement de quelques épisodes pluvieux dans la région de Niamey, Niger. C.R.A.S. 326: 493–498. , .
- 2009. Stable water isotopes in HadCM3: Isotopic signature of El Nino–Southern Oscillation and the tropical amount effect. J. Geophys. Res. 114: D04 111–. DOI:04 110.01 029/02 008JD010 825. , , .
- 1997. Soil evaporation from Tiger-bush in south-west Niger. J. Hydrol. 188–189: 426–442. , .
- 2003. Water isotope ratios D/H, 18O/16O, 17O/16O in and out of clouds map dehydration pathways. Science 302: 1742–1746. DOI: 10.1126/science.1089496. , .
- 2001. Isotopic composition and origin of polar precipitation in present and glacial climate simulations. Tellus 53B: 53–71. DOI: 10.1034/j.1600-0889.2001.01154.x. , , .
- 1992. A radar and electrical study of Tropical ‘hot towers’. J. Atmos. Sci. 49: 1386–1395. , , , , , .
- 2007. Importance of rain evaporation and continental convection in the tropical water cycle. Nature 445: 528–532. , , .
- 2007. ‘Cycle de l'eau des systèmes convectifs ouest-africains: preparation à l'exploitation des mesures radar xport dans amma par simulations’. PhD thesis. Université Paul Sabatier—Toulouse III: Toulouse. .
- 1977. Mesoscale and convective scale downdrafts as distinct components of squall-line structure. Mon. Weather Rev. 105: 1568–1589. .