This article is based on the Symons Memorial Lecture ‘The dynamics of deserts’, delivered by the author to the Royal Meteorological Society on 20 March 1974. In that lecture he proposed a bio-geophysical feedback mechanism to account, at least partially, for the drought in the Sahel. Since then, numerical integrations have been performed which appear to confirm his hypothesis. They have been reported elsewhere and are described in an appendix to this article.
Dynamics of deserts and drought in the Sahel†
Article first published online: 15 DEC 2006
Copyright © 1975 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 101, Issue 428, pages 193–202, April 1975
How to Cite
Charney, J. G. (1975), Dynamics of deserts and drought in the Sahel. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 101: 193–202. doi: 10.1002/qj.49710142802
- Issue published online: 15 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 15 DEC 2006
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: GA-28724X
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!