The contributions of M. Zerroukat, N. Wood and A. Staniforth were written in the course of their employment at the Met Office, UK, and are published with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland.
Coupling a mass-conserving semi-Lagrangian scheme (SLICE) to a semi-implicit discretization of the shallow-water equations: Minimizing the dependence on a reference atmosphere
Article first published online: 19 JAN 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society and Crown Copyright. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 136, Issue 646, pages 146–154, January 2010 Part A
How to Cite
Thuburn, J., Zerroukat, M., Wood, N. and Staniforth, A. (2010), Coupling a mass-conserving semi-Lagrangian scheme (SLICE) to a semi-implicit discretization of the shallow-water equations: Minimizing the dependence on a reference atmosphere. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 136: 146–154. doi: 10.1002/qj.517
- Issue published online: 22 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 19 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 21 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAR 2009
- 2003. Stability of semi-implicit and iterative centered-implicit time discretizations for various equation systems used in NWP. Mon. Weather Rev. 131: 2479–2491. .
- 2001. On a fundamental problem in implementing flux-form advection schemes for tracer transport in 3-dimensional general circulation and chemistry transport models. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 127: 1035–1052. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. A simple and efficient locally mass-conserving semi-Lagrangian transport scheme. Tellus A 60: 305–320. .
- 2006. A mass-conservative semi-implicit semi-Lagrangian limited-area shallow-water model on the sphere. Mon. Weather Rev. 134: 1205–1221. , , .
- 2008. A mass-conservative version of the semi-implicit semi-Lagrangian HIRLAM. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 1583–1595. , , , .
- 2005. Unsteady analytical solutions of the spherical shallow-water equations. J. Comput. Phys. 210: 535–553. , , .
- 2008. Finite-volume methods in meteorology. In Handbook of Numerical Analysis: Special Volume on Computational Methods for the Atmosphere and the Oceans. CiarletPG, TemamR, TribbiaJ. (eds.) Elsevier: New York. 3–120. , , .
- 1997. The implementation of the semi-implicit cell-integrated semi-Lagrangian models. Atmos.-Ocean (special issue) 35: 103–126. , .
- 1991. An interpolation procedure for high-order three-dimensional semi-Lagrangian models. Mon. Weather Rev. 119: 2492–2498. , .
- 1990. Computational aspects of moisture transport in global models of the atmosphere. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 116: 1071–1090. , .
- 2007. Semi-implicit methods, nonlinear balance, and regularized equations. Atmos. Sci. Lett. 8: 1–6. , , .
- 1997. Stability of a two-time-level semi-implicit integration scheme for gravity wave motion. Mon. Weather Rev. 125: 600–615. , .
- 2007. Some exact solutions of geophysical fluid dynamics equations for testing models in spherical and plane geometry. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 133: 1605–1614. , .
- 2008. A fully implicit, mass-conserving, semi-Lagrangian scheme for the f-plane shallow-water equations. Int. J. Num. Meth. Fluids 56: 1047–1059. .
- 1992. A standard test set for numerical approximations to the shallow-water equations in spherical geometry. J. Comput. Phys. 102: 211–224. , , , , .
- 2002. SLICE: A Semi-Lagrangian Inherently Conserving and Efficient scheme for transport problems. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 128: 2801–2820. , , .
- 2005. A monotonic and positive-definite filter for a Semi-Lagrangian Inherently Conserving and Efficient (SLICE) scheme. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 2923–2936. , , .
- 2006. A three-dimensional conservative semi-Lagrangian scheme (SLICE-3D) for transport problems. In Research Activities in Atmospheric and Oceanic Modelling. CAS/JSC Working Group on Numerical Experimentation Report No. 36, WMO/TD No. 1347, J. Côté (ed.) World Meteorological Organisation: Geneva. , , .
- 2007. Application of the Parabolic Spline Method (PSM) to a multi-dimensional conservative transport scheme (SLICE). J. Comput. Phys. 225: 935–948. , , .
- 2009a. An improved version of SLICE for conservative monotonic remapping on a C-grid. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 541–546. , , .
- 2009b. An inherently mass-conserving semi-implicit semi-Lagrangian discretisation of the shallow-water equations on the sphere. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 1104–1116. , , , , .