The influence of rotational frontogenesis and its associated shearwise vertical motions on the development of an upper-level front
Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 136, Issue 646, pages 239–252, January 2010 Part A
How to Cite
Lang, A. A. and Martin, J. E. (2010), The influence of rotational frontogenesis and its associated shearwise vertical motions on the development of an upper-level front. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 136: 239–252. doi: 10.1002/qj.551
- Issue online: 22 FEB 2010
- Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 27 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Received: 27 AUG 2009
- National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: NSF-0452318, NSF-0806340
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship
- 1996. Extracting synoptic-scale diagnostic information from mesoscale models: The Eta model, gravity waves, and quasigeostrophic diagnostics. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 77: 519–528. , , .
- 1962. On the vertical circulation in frontal zones. Geofys. Publ. 24(4): 147–160. .
- 1978. A new look at the ω-equation. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 104: 31–38. , , .
- 1985. A two-dimensional primitive equation model of frontogenesis forced by confluence and horizontal shear. J. Atmos. Sci. 42: 1259–1282. , .
- 1986. A review of the structure and dynamics of upper-level frontal zones. Mon. Weather Rev. 114: 452–499. , .
- 1988. A generalization of Petterssen's frontogenesis function and its relation to the forcing of vertical motion. Mon. Weather Rev. 116: 762–780. , , .
- 1992. Quasigeostrophic vertical motions diagnosed from along- and cross-isentrope components of the Q vector. Mon. Weather Rev. 120: 731–741. , , .
- 1999. Quasigeostrophic forcing of ascent in the occluded sector of cyclones and the trowal airstream. Mon. Weather Rev. 127: 70–88. .
- 2006. The role of shearwise and transverse quasigeostrophic vertical motions in the midlatitude cyclone life cycle. Mon. Weather Rev. 134: 1174–1193. .
- 2007. Lower-tropospheric height tendencies associated with the shearwise and transverse components of quasigeostrophic vertical motion. Mon. Weather Rev. 135: 2803–2809. .
- 1936. Contribution to the theory of frontogenesis. Geofys. Publ. 11(6): 1–27. .
- 1988. Balanced and unbalanced upper-level frontogenesis. J. Atmos. Sci. 45: 3366–3386. , .
- 1994. An analysis of frontogenesis in numerical simulations of baroclinic waves. J. Atmos. Sci. 51: 3373–3398. , , .
- 1956. The vertical circulation at meteorological fronts and its relation to frontogenesis. Proc. R. Soc. London A234: 346–362. .
- 1999. Conceptual models of upper-level frontogenesis in south-westerly and north-westerly flow. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 125: 2535–2562. , .
- 2002. Upper-level frontogenesis associated with the birth of mobile troughs in northwesterly flow. Mon. Weather Rev. 130: 2593–2610. , .
- 1981. Frontogenesis and geostrophically forced secondary circulations in the vicinity of jet stream-frontal zone systems. J. Atmos. Sci. 38: 954–973. .
- 1947. A contribution to the problem of development. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 73: 370–383. .
- 1978. On the interpretation of the diagnostic quasi-geostrophic omega equation. Mon. Weather Rev. 106: 131–137. .