Special Issue Article
Intraseasonal variability of the ocean — atmosphere coupling in the Gulf of Guinea during boreal spring and summer
Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Supplement: Advances in understanding atmospheric processes over West Africa through the AMMA field campaign
Volume 136, Issue S1, pages 426–441, January 2010
How to Cite
Coëtlogon, G. d., Janicot, S. and Lazar, A. (2010), Intraseasonal variability of the ocean — atmosphere coupling in the Gulf of Guinea during boreal spring and summer. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 136: 426–441. doi: 10.1002/qj.554
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 7 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Received: 14 DEC 2008
- 2008. Cross-equatorial structure and temporal modulation of intraseasonal variability at the surface of the tropical Atlantic Ocean. J. Geophys. Res. 113: C08020, DOI:10.1029/2007JC004332. , .
- 2009. On the relationship between SST gradients, boundary layer winds, and convergence over the tropical oceans. J. Climate 22: 4182–4196. , .
- 2006. Variability of the horizontal velocity structure in the upper 1600 m of the water column on the Equator at 10°W. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 36: 1287–1304. , , , , , .
- 2009. Couplings between the Atlantic cold tongue, the St Helena anticyclone, and the African monsoon in boreal spring and summer. J. Climate, submitted. , , , , , .
- 1993. Seasonal cycle of sea surface temperature and mixed layer heat budget in the tropical Pacific Ocean. Geophys. Res. Lett. 20: 2079–2082. .
- 1994. A coupled ocean–atmosphere instability of relevance to the seasonal cycle. J. Atmos. Sci. 51: 3627–3648. , .
- 2001. Observations of coupling between surface wind stress and sea surface temperature in the eastern tropical Pacific. J. Climate 14: 1479–1498. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Satellite measurements reveal persistent small-scale features in ocean winds. Science 303: 978–983. , , , .
- 2009. Near-surface shear flow in the tropical Pacific cold tongue front. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 39: 1200–1215. , .
- 2003. Seasonal mixed layer heat budget of the tropical Atlantic Ocean. J. Geophys. Res. 108: 3146, DOI:10.1029/2002JC001584. , , , .
- 2008. ‘Description of the interannual experiment ORCA025-T09, 1998–2006.’ Mercator Ocean Report, 235, Annexe 2. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Forced oscillations on the equatorial Atlantic basin during the Seasonal Response of the Equatorial Atlantic Program (1983–1984). J. Geophys. Res. 92(C5): 5089–5100. .
- 1980. Some simple solutions for heat-induced tropical circulation. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 106: 447–462. .
- 1987. Sea surface temperature, surface wind divergence, and convection over tropical oceans. Science 238: 657–659. , .
- 2001. Coupled land/atmosphere interactions in the West African monsoon. Geophys. Res. Lett. 28: 1503–1506. , .
- 2004. Seasonal evolution and variability associated with the West African monsoon system. J. Climate 17: 3364–3377. , .
- 2008. Remotely forced biweekly deep oscillations on the continental slope of the Gulf of Guinea. J. Geophys. Res. 113: C06002, DOI:10.1029/2007JC004471. , , .
- 2008. Dynamics of intraseasonal sea level and thermocline variability in the equatorial Atlantic during 2002–03. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 38: 945–967. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Direct observations of atmospheric boundary layer response to SST variations associated with tropical instability waves over the eastern equatorial Pacific. J. Climate 15: 3379–3393. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. The influence of sea-surface temperature on surface wind in the eastern equatorial Pacific: Weekly to monthly variability. J. Climate 2: 1500–1506. , , .
- 1987. Wind-driven meridional eddy heat flux in the Gulf of Guinea. J. Geophys. Res. 92(C10): 10777–10786. , .
- 1984. Sea-breeze-like winds across the north wall of the Gulf Stream: An analytical model. J. Geophys. Res. 89(C2): 2025–2028. .
- 2001. Global precipitation at one-degree daily resolution from multisatellite observations. J. Hydrometeorol. 2: 36–50. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Tropical atmosphere–ocean interactions in a conceptual framework. J. Climate 22: 550–567. , , .
- 2007. Observed horizontal temperature advection by tropical instability waves. Geophys. Res. Lett. 34: L09604, DOI:10.1029/2007GL029416. , , , .
- 2007. Understanding equatorial Atlantic interannual variability. J. Climate 20: 131–142. , .
- 1993. The seasonal cycle of low stratiform clouds. J. Climate 6: 1587–1606. , .
- 2003. Tropical Atlantic and rainfall variability in Côte Ivoire. Geophys. Res. Lett. 30: 8005, DOI:10.1029/2002GL015290. , , .
- 2003. Intercomparison of various surface latent heat flux fields. J. Climate 16: 670–678. , , , .
- 1978a. Large-scale tropical Atlantic surface circulation patterns associated with Subsaharan weather anomalies. Tellus 30: 240–251. .
- 1978b. Case studies of tropical Atlantic surface circulation patterns during recent sub-Saharan weather anomalies: 1967 and 1968. Mon. Weather Rev. 106: 482–491. .
- 1981. Open ocean momentum flux measurements in moderate to strong winds. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 11: 324–336. , .
- 1994. Oceanic vertical mixing: A review and a model with a nonlocal boundary layer parameterization. Rev. Geophys. 32: 363–403. , , .
- 1997. On the seasonal cycle of the equatorial Atlantic Ocean. J. Climate 10: 813–817. , .
- 1987. On the role of sea surface temperature gradients in forcing low-level winds and convergence in the Tropics. J. Atmos. Sci. 44: 2418–2436. , .
- 2000. Atmospheric manifestation of tropical instability wave observed by QuikSCAT and Tropical Rain Measuring Mission. Geophys. Res. Lett. 27: 2545–2548. , , , , .
- 2009. Why were sea surface temperatures so different in the eastern equatorial Atlantic in June 2005 and 2006? J. Phys. Oceanogr. 39: 1416–1431. , , , , , .
- 1992. The annual cycle in equatorial convection and sea surface temperature. J. Climate 5: 1140–1156. , .
- 2008. The West African monsoon dynamics. Part III: The quasi-biweekly zonal dipole. J. Climate 21: 1911–1928. , , .
- 1989. On the interpretation of the Gill model. J. Atmos. Sci. 46: 2466–2468. .
- 1998. Low cloud type over the ocean from surface observations. Part II: Geographical and seasonal variations. J. Climate 11: 383–403. .
- 2004. Interaction of the Atlantic equatorial cold tongue and the African monsoon. J. Climate 17: 3589–3602. , .
- 2003. Observations of SST-induced perturbations of the wind stress field over the Southern Ocean on seasonal timescales. J. Climate 16: 2340–2354. , , .
- 1994. Atlantic sea surface temperatures and rainfall variability in Ghana. J. Climate 7: 551–558. , .
- 2006. A model study of the seasonal mixed layer heat budget in the equatorial Atlantic. J. Geophys. Res. 111: C06014, DOI:10.1029/2005JC003157. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. On the coupling of wind stress and sea surface temperature. J. Climate 19: 1557–1566. , , , , , .
- 2005. Satellite observations of mesoscale ocean features and copropagating atmospheric surface fields in the tropical belt. J. Geophys. Res. 110: C02021, DOI:10.1029/2004JC002598. , , .
- 2008. Air–sea interaction over ocean fronts and eddies. Dyn. Atmos. Oceans 45: 274–319. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The West African monsoon dynamics. Part II: The ‘preonset’ and ‘onset’ of the summer monsoon. J. Climate 16: 3407–3427. , .
- 1981. Air–sea interaction effects in the lower troposphere across the north wall of the Gulf Stream. Mon. Weather Rev. 109: 1042–1052. , , , .
- 1999. Statistical analysis in climate research. Cambridge University Press. , .
- 1989. Dynamical analyses of marine atmospheric boundary layer structure near the Gulf Stream oceanic front. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 115: 29–44. , .
- 1993. Comparison of the highly reflective cloud and outgoing longwave radiation datasets for use in estimating tropical deep convection. J. Climate 6: 331–353. , .
- 1989. The influence of sea-surface temperature on surface wind in the eastern equatorial Pacific: Seasonal and interannual variability. J. Climate 2: 1492–1499. , , .
- 2004. Satellite observations of cool ocean–atmosphere interaction. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 85: 195–208. .
- 1994. A coupled ocean–atmosphere model of relevance to the ITCZ in the eastern Pacific. Tellus 46A: 340–350. , .
- 1987. Boundary layer dynamics of tropical and monsoonal flows. Pp 461–500 in Monsoon meteorology. Oxford University Press. .
- 2008. ‘Multidecade global flux datasets from the Objectively Analyzed air–sea Fluxes (OAFlux) project: Latent and sensible heat fluxes, evaporation, and related surface meteorological variables.’ Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, OAFlux Project Technical Report, OA-2008-01, 64 pp. Woods Hole, Massachusetts, USA. , , .