Special Issue Article
Links between African easterly waves, midlatitude circulation and intraseasonal pulsations of the West African heat low
Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Supplement: Advances in understanding atmospheric processes over West Africa through the AMMA field campaign
Volume 136, Issue S1, pages 141–158, January 2010
How to Cite
Lavaysse, C., Flamant, C., Janicot, S. and Knippertz, P. (2010), Links between African easterly waves, midlatitude circulation and intraseasonal pulsations of the West African heat low. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 136: 141–158. doi: 10.1002/qj.555
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 28 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Received: 15 DEC 2008
- 2007. African easterly waves during 2004—Analysis using objective techniques. Mon. Weather Rev. 135: 1251–1267. , , .
- 1997. Update of radiance calibrations for ISCCP. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 14: 1091–1109. , , .
- 1972. The origin and structure of easterly waves in the lower troposphere in North Africa. J. Atmos. Sci. 29: 77–80. .
- 2009. Intraseasonal variability of the Saharan heat low and its link with midlatitudes. J. Clim. submitted. , , .
- 2009. Synoptic variability of the monsoon flux over West Africa prior to the onset. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136: s1 160–174. , , , , , .
- 2009. Nortward burst of the West African monsoon and interactions with large-scale conditions leading to rainfall over the Hoggar Massif, Algeria Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136: s1 175–190. , , , , .
- 1998. Evidence of two regimes of easterly waves over West Africa and the tropical Atlantic. Geophys. Res. Lett. 25: 2805–2808. , , , .
- 1999. Easterly waves regimes and associated convection over West Africa and the Tropical Atlantic: Results from the NCEP–NCAR and ECMWF reanalyses. Clim. Dyn. 15: 795–822. , , , , .
- 2001. Composite patterns of easterly waves disturbances over West Africa and the tropical Atlantic: A climatology from the 1979–95 NCEP–NCAR reanalysis. Clim. Dyn. 18: 241–253. , , , .
- 1990. Convection over Tropical Africa and the Atlantic ocean during northern summer. Part II: Modulation by Easterly Waves. Mon. Weather Rev. 118: 1855–1868. .
- 2003. An extreme precipitation event in southern Morocco in spring 2002 and some hydrological implications. Weather 58: 377–392. , .
- 2003. Spatio-temporal variability of the relation between African easterly waves and West African squall lines in 1998 and 1999. J. Geophys. Res. 108. , .
- 2008. Identification and global climatology of upper-level troughs at low latitudes. Meteorol. Zeitschrift 17: 565–574. , .
- 1990. Behavior of deep convective clouds in the tropical Pacific from ISCCP radiances. J. Climate 3: 1129–1152. , , .
- 1990. Prefrontal troughs over southern Australia. Part I: A climatology. Weather and Forecasting 5: 22–31. , , .
- 2008. Large-scale overview of the summer monsoon over West and Central Africa during the AMMA field experiment in 2006. Ann. Geophys. 26: 2569–2595. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1977. Data smoothing using low-pass digital filters. Rev. Sci. Instrum. 48: 1447. , .
- 2005. ERA-40 Atlas. ERA-40 Project Report Series No. 19. ECMWF: Reading, UK. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Horizontal structure and seasonality of large-scale circulations associated with submonthly tropical convection. Mon. Weather Rev. 125: 1997–2013. , .
- 2005. Tropical–extratropical interactions associated with the Atlantic tropical plume and subtropical jet streak. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 2759–2776. .
- 2005. Tropical plumes and extreme precipitation in subtropical and tropical West Africa, Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 2337–2365. , .
- 2003. Three late summer/early autumn cases of tropical-extratropical interactions causing precipitation in Northwest Africa. Mon. Weather Rev. 131: 116–135. , , , .
- 2006. African easterly waves and convective activity in wet and dry sequences of the west African monsoon. Clim. Dyn. 27: 319–332. , , , .
- 2009. Seasonal evolution of the West African heat low: A climatological perspective. Clim. Dyn. 33: DOI: 10.1007/s00382-009-0553-4. , , , , , .
- 2009. The AMMA field campaigns: Multiscale and multidisciplinary observations in the West Africa region. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136: s1 8–33. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. On the relationship between African Easterly Waves and the African Easterly Jet. J. Atmos. Sci. 66: 2303–2316. , .
- 2004. Intraseasonal variability over tropical Africa during northern summer. J. Climate 17: 2427–2440. .
- 2002. Mesoscale convective system rainfall in the Sahel. J. Appl. Meteorol. 41: 1081–1092. , , .
- 1981. Rainfall and atmospheric circulation during drought periods and wetter years in West Africa. Mon. Weather Rev. 109: 2191–2208. .
- 2005. Analysis of the African easterly jet, using aircraft observations from the JET 2000 experiment. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 1461–1482. , , , .
- 2007. A study on cut-off low vertical structure and precipitation on the Mediterranean region. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 96: 121–140. , , , , .
- 2006. On the northward shift of the West African monsoon. Clim. Dyn. 26: 429–440. , , .
- 2006. African Monsoon Multidisciplinary Analysis: An international research project and field campaign. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 87: 1739–1746. , , , , , .
- 1995. Central Australian cold fronts. Mon. Weather Rev. 123: 16–38. , , , .
- 2008. The dynamics of heat lows over flat terrain. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 2157–2172. , .
- 1995. The dynamics of heat lows in simple background flows. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 3147–3165. , , .
- 2003. The West African Monsoon dynamics. Part I: Documentation of intraseasonal variabilty. J. Climate 16: 3389–3406. , , .
- 1999. Maintenance of the African easterly jet. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 125: 763–786. , .
- 1997. A case study of Saharan cyclogenesis. Mon. Weather Rev. 125: 1147–1165. , .
- 1998. A pratical guide to wavelet analysis. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 79: 61–78. , .
- 2000. The global monsoon as seen through the divergent atmospheric circulation. J. Climate 13: 3969–3993. , , .
- 1997. Comparison of the African and the 6–9 day wave-like disturbance pattern over West Africa and the tropical Atlantic during summer 1985. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 62: 91–99. , , .
- 2009. A mechanism for African monsoon breaks: Mediterranean cold air surges. J. Geophys. Res. 114: DOI: 10.1029/2008JD010654. , .
- 2006. The seasonal cycle in the lower troposphere over West Africa from sounding observations. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 132: 2561–2584. , , .