Horizontal resolution impact on short- and long-range forecast error
Article first published online: 21 APR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 136, Issue 649, pages 1020–1035, April 2010 Part B
How to Cite
Buizza, R. (2010), Horizontal resolution impact on short- and long-range forecast error. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 136: 1020–1035. doi: 10.1002/qj.613
- Issue published online: 14 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 21 APR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 11 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Received: 1 SEP 2009
- 2008. ‘Advances in simulating atmospheric variability with the ECMWF model: From synoptic to decadal time-scales.’ ECMWF RD Technical Memorandum 556, 22 pp. Available from ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, RG2 9AX, UK. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Independent estimations of the asymptotic variability in an ensemble forecast system. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 4105–4112. , , .
- 2004. ‘Resolution dependence of orographic torques.’ ECMWF RD Technical Memorandum 433, 18 pp. Available from ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, RG2 9AX, UK. .
- 1995. The singular-vector structure of the atmospheric global circulation. J. Atmos. Sci. 52: 1434–1456. , .
- 1999. Stochastic representation of model uncertainties in the ECMWF ensemble prediction system. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 125: 2887–2908. , , .
- 2003. Benefits of increased resolution in the ECMWF ensemble system and comparison with poor-man's ensembles. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 129: 1269–1288. , , .
- 1966. The feasibility of a global observation and analysis experiment. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 47: 200–220. , , , , .
- 1987. Error growth and predictability in operational ECMWF analyses. Tellus 39A: 474–491. , .
- 2005. ‘Influence of stochastic physics on the frequency of occurrence of North Pacific weather regimes in the ECMWF model.’ ECMWF RD Technical Memorandum 473, 7 pp. Available from ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, RG2 9AX, UK. , , .
- 1992. The Euler equations of motion with hydrostatic pressure as an independent variable. Mon. Weather Rev. 120: 197–207. .
- 1982. ‘Statistical methods for the verification of long and short range forecasts.’ Pp 313–333 in Proc. ECMWF Seminar on problems and prospects in long and medium range weather forecasts, 14–18 September 1981. Available from ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, RG2 9AX, UK. .
- 1969. Atmospheric predictability as revealed by naturally occurring analogues. J. Atmos. Sci. 26: 636–646. .
- 1982. Atmospheric predictability experiments with a large numerical model. Tellus 34: 505–513. .
- 2007. ‘The Ensemble Prediction System—Recent and ongoing developments. A paper presented at the 36th Session of the ECMWF Scientific Advisory Committee.’ ECMWF Research Department Technical Memorandum 540, 55 pp. Available from ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, RG2 9AX, UK, or from http://www.ecmwf.int/publications/library/. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. ‘Stochastic parametrization and model uncertainty.’ ECMWF RD Technical Memorandum 598, 42 pp. Available from ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, RG2 9AX, UK. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Random error growth in NMC's global forecasts. Mon. Weather Rev. 122: 1281–1305. , , .
- 1995. Error growth in a large numerical forecast system. Mon. Weather Rev. 123: 212–221. .
- 2005. A kinetic energy backscatter algorithm for use in ensemble prediction systems. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 3079–3102. .
- 2002. Some aspects of the improvement in skill of numerical weather prediction. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 128: 647–677. , .
- 1995. Error growth and estimates of predictability from the ECMWF forecasting system. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 121: 1739–1771. , , .
- 1969. Problems and promises of deterministic extended range forecasting. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 50: 286–311. .
- 1993. Ensemble forecasting at NMC: The generation of perturbations. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 74: 2317–2330. , .
- 2002. ‘Does increased resolution enhance predictability?’ Paper J1.8 in Proceedings of the AMS Symposium on observations, data assimilation and probabilistic prediction, Orlando, Florida,13–17 January 2002. Available from American Meteorological Society, Boston, USA. , , , , .
- 1993. Operational ensemble prediction at the National Meteorological Center: Practical aspects. Weather and Forecasting 8: 379–398. , .
- 1995. Statistical methods in the atmospheric sciences. International Geophysics Series 59. Academic Press: San Diego. .