Some considerations of the concept of climate feedback
Article first published online: 21 MAY 2007
Copyright © 2007 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 133, Issue 624, pages 545–560, April 2007
How to Cite
Bates, J. R. (2007), Some considerations of the concept of climate feedback. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 133: 545–560. doi: 10.1002/qj.62
- Issue published online: 21 MAY 2007
- Article first published online: 21 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 DEC 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 12 OCT 2006
- Manuscript Received: 18 JAN 2006
- 2003. Inferring instantaneous, multivariate and nonlinear sensitivities for the analysis of feedback processes in a dynamical system: Lorenz model case-study. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 129: 239–275. ,
- 2003. Sensitivity to CO2 doubling of an atmospheric GCM coupled to an oceanic mixed layer: a linear analysis. Clim. Dyn. 20: 775–787.
- 2000. A Dynamical Stabilizer in the Climate System: An Observational Study of the Underlying Parameterizations. DCESS Report No. 1. Department of Geophysics, University of Copenhagen, Denmark. ,
- 2005. Polar amplification of surface warming on an aquaplanet in ‘ghost forcing’ experiments without sea ice feedbacks. Clim. Dyn. 24: 655–666. , ,
- AMS. 2000. Glossary of Meteorology (2nd edition). American Meteorological Society.
- 1999. A dynamical stabilizer in the climate system: a mechanism suggested by a simple model. Tellus 51A: 349–372.
- 2004. On climate stability, climate sensitivity and the dynamics of the enhanced greenhouse effect. In Paleoclimate and the Earth Climate System, Proceedings of the Milutin Milankovitch Anniversary Symposium, Belgrade, September 2004, 27–46. Serbian Academy of Sciences. Also available at www.dclimate.gfy.ku.dk.
- 1977. Inventing the negative feedback amplifier. IEEE Spectrum December 1977: 55–60.
- 2006. How well do we understand and evaluate climate change feedback processes? J. Climate 19: 3445–3482. , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2001. Surface wind, subcloud humidity and the stability of the tropical climate. Tellus 53A: 513–525.
- 1977. A comparative study of the effects of albedo change on drought in semi-arid regions. J. Atmos. Sci. 34: 1366–1385. , , ,
- 2005. Modern Control Systems (10th edition). Pearson Educational International. ,
- 2006. An elicitation of the dynamic nature of water vapor feedback in climate change using a 1D model. J. Atmos. Sci. 63: 1878–1894. , ,
- 1994. Global Physical Climatology. Academic Press.
- 2000. Global Warming: The Hard Science. Prentice Hall.
- IPCC. 2001. Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press.
- 1999. A destabilizing thermohaline circulation–atmosphere–sea ice feedback. J. Climate 12: 642–651. ,
- 2002. A study of climate stability and sensitivity using a simple atmosphere–ocean model. PhD thesis, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 2003. Supporting evidence for a positive water vapor/infrared radiative feedback on large scale SST perturbations from a recent parameterization of surface longwave irradiance. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 84: 285–292.
- 2001. Does the Earth have an adaptive infrared iris? Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 82: 417–432. , ,
- 1967. Thermal equilibrium of the atmosphere with a given distribution of relative humidity. J. Atmos. Sci. 24: 241–259. ,
- 1996. Analysis of thermohaline feedbacks. In Decadal Climate Variability: Dynamics and Predictability, AndersonDLT, WillebrandJ (eds). NATO ASI Series, 144, 333–375. Springer.
- 1868. On governors. Proc. R. Soc. London 16: 270–283;Reprinted in Selected Papers on Mathematical Trends in Control Theory, BellmanR, KalabaR (eds). Dover: New York, 1964, 3–17.
- 1994. Destabilization of the thermohaline circulation by atmospheric eddy transports. J. Climate 7: 1870–1882. , ,
- 1981. Energy balance climate models. Rev. Geophys. Space Phys. 19: 91–121. , ,
- NRC. 2003. Understanding Climate Change Feedbacks. National Research Council: Washington, DC.
- 1992. Physics of Climate. American Institute of Physics. ,
- 1995. The role of temperature feedback in stabilizing the thermohaline circulation. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 25: 787–805. ,
- 1991. Thermodynamic regulation of ocean warming by cirrus clouds deduced from observations of the 1987 El Niño. Nature 351: 27–32. ,
- 1987. Electronics: Circuits and Devices (3rd edition). John Wiley & Sons.
- 2005. Cloud feedbacks in the climate system: a critical review. J. Climate 18: 237–273.
- 1961. Thermohaline convection with two stable regimes of flow. Tellus 8: 224–230.
- 1988. Cloud feedback processes in a general circulation model. J. Atmos. Sci. 45: 1397–1415. ,