Simulation of the Madden– Julian Oscillation and its teleconnections in the ECMWF forecast system
Article first published online: 5 MAY 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 136, Issue 649, pages 842–855, April 2010 Part B
How to Cite
Vitart, F. and Molteni, F. (2010), Simulation of the Madden– Julian Oscillation and its teleconnections in the ECMWF forecast system. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 136: 842–855. doi: 10.1002/qj.623
- Issue published online: 14 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 5 MAY 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 1 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Received: 30 NOV 2009
- 2008. Advances in simulating atmospheric variability with the ECMWF model: From synoptic to decadal time-scales. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 1337–1351. , , , , , , .
- 1995. The singular-vector structure of the atmospheric general circulation. J. Atmos. Sci. 52: 1434–1456. , .
- 1999. Stochastic representation of model uncertainties in the ECMWF Ensemble Prediction System. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 125: 2887–1908. , , .
- 2008. Intraseasonal interaction between the Madden–Julian Oscillation and the North Atlantic Oscillation. Nature 455: 523–527. .
- 1990. Tropical–extratropical interaction associated with the 30–60 day oscillation and its impact on medium and extended range prediction. J. Atmos. Sci. 125: 2177–2199. , , , .
- 2009. Establishing and assessing operational model MJO forecasts: A project of the CLIVAR Madden–Julian Oscillation working group. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. in press. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. A composite study of the onset of the Australian summer monsoon. J. Atmos. Sci. 48: 2909–2923. , .
- 2004. The Madden–Julian Oscillation and its impact on Northern Hemisphere weather predictability. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 1462–1471. , , , .
- 2010. Diagnosing the origin of extended-range forecast error. Mon. Weather Rev. in press. , , .
- 1995. Oceanic equatorial Kelvin waves and the 1991–1993 El Niño. J. Climate 8: 1757–1774. , .
- 1971. Detection of a 40–50 day oscillation in the zonal wind in the tropical Pacific. J. Atmos. Sci. 5: 702–708. , .
- 2000a. Modulation of eastern North Pacific hurricanes by the Madden–Julian Oscillation. J. Climate 13: 1451–1460. , .
- 2000b. Modulation of hurricane activity in the Gulf of Mexico by the Madden–Julian Oscillation. Science 287: 2002–2004. , .
- 1999. Conditional probabilities relative operating characteristics, and relative operating levels. Weather Forecasting 14: 713–725. , .
- 2000. The association between intraseasonal oscillation and tropical storms in the Atlantic basin. Mon. Weather Rev. 128: 4097–4107. .
- 1976. Cloudiness fluctuations during the summer monsoon. J. Meteorol. Soc. Japan 54: 175–181. .
- 2001. A nonlinear dynamical perspective on model error: A proposal for non-local stochastic dynamic parametrisation in weather and climate prediction models. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 127: 279–304. .
- 2001. Tropical singular vectors computed with linearised diabatic physics. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 127: 709–737. , , .
- 2007. ‘ERA-Interim: New ECMWF reanalysis products from 1989 onwards’. ECMWF Newsletter 110: 25–35. , , , .
- 1989. Survey of common verification methods in meteorology. World Weather Watch Tech. Report 8, WMO/TD 358. World Meteorological Organization: Geneva. , , .
- 2007. Circulation regimes: Chaotic variability versus SST-forced predictability. J. Climate 20: 2251–2272. , , .
- 2005. The ERA-40 re-analysis. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 2961–3012. , , , , , . , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. An ensemble generation method for seasonal forecasting with an ocean–atmosphere coupled model. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 441–453. , , , , .
- 2004. Monthly forecasting at ECMWF. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 2761–2779. .
- 2008. The new VAREPS-monthly forecasting system: A first step towards seamless prediction. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 1789–1799. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Impact of the Madden–Julian Oscillation on tropical storms and risk of landfall in the ECMWF forecast system. Geophys. Res. Lett. 36: L15802, DOI: 10.1029/2009GL039089. .
- 2008. Probabilistic verification of monthly temperature forecasts. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 5162–5182. , , , , .
- 2004. An all-season real-time multivariate MJO index: Development of an index for monitoring and prediction. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 1917–1932. , .
- 2005. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences. (2nd ed.) Elsevier. .
- 1997. The Hamburg ocean primitive-equation model. Tech. Report 13, Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum: Hamburg, Germany. , , .
- 2007. The role of the ocean in the Madden–Julian Oscillation: Implications for MJO prediction. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 133: 117–128. , , .
- 1979. Cloudiness fluctuations associated with the Northern Hemisphere summer monsoon. J. Meteorol. Soc. Japan 58: 225–229. .