On the limiting effect of the Earth's rotation on the depth of a stably stratified boundary layer
Article first published online: 2 SEP 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 136, Issue 651, pages 1473–1480, July 2010 Part B
How to Cite
Mironov, D. and Fedorovich, E. (2010), On the limiting effect of the Earth's rotation on the depth of a stably stratified boundary layer. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 136: 1473–1480. doi: 10.1002/qj.631
- Issue published online: 10 SEP 2010
- Article first published online: 2 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 APR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 21 DEC 2009
- Manuscript Received: 25 FEB 2009
- EU Commissions
- National Science Foundation (USA). Grant Number: ATM-0622745
- 1995. The structure of stably stratified atmospheric boundary layers. A large-eddy simulation study. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 121: 961–985.
- 1993. Single-point closures in a neutrally stratified boundary layer. J. Atmos. Sci. 50: 3366–3379. ,
- 1982. Similarity, Self-Similarity, and Intermediate Asymptotics, 2nd edn. Gidrometeoizdat: Leningrad; 256 pp. (In Russian).
- 1996. Scaling, Self-similarity, and Intermediate Asymptotics. Cambridge Univ. Press: Cambridge, UK; 386 pp.
- 2004. Resolution sensitivity and scaling of large-eddy simulations of the stable boundary layer. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 112: 257–281. ,
- 1994. Large-eddy simulation of stable atmospheric boundary layers with a revised stochastic subgrid model. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 120: 1485–1512. , ,
- 1914. On physically similar systems; illustrations of the use of dimensional equations. Phys. Rev. 4: 345–376.
- 1905. On the influence of the Earth's rotation on ocean currents. Ark. Mat. Astron. Fys. 2: 1–53.
- 1989. Intermediate asymptotics and renormalization group theory. J. Sci. Comput. 4: 355–372. , ,
- 2004. The neutral, barotropic planetary boundary layer, capped by a low-level inversion. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 110: 319–355.
- 1960. On the computation of the thickness of the wind-mixing layer in the ocean. Izv. AN SSSR. Ser. Geofiz. 3: 425–431.
- 1988. In search of simple scaling for the heights of the stratified atmospheric boundary layer. Tellus 40A: 419–433. ,
- 2004. Flux-gradient relationship, self-correlation and intermittency in the stable boundary layer. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 130: 2087–2103. ,
- 2000. A large eddy simulation study of a quasi-steady, stably stratified atmospheric boundary layer. J. Atmos. Sci. 57: 1052–1068. ,
- 2009. Similarity hypotheses for the atmospheric surface layer expressed by non-dimensional characteristic invariants—a review. Open Atmos. Sci. J. 3: 48–79. ,
- 1988a. The stably stratified boundary layer over the Great Plains. I. Mean and turbulence structure. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 42: 95–121. , , ,
- 1988b. The stably stratified boundary layer over the Great Plains. II. Horizontal variations and spectra. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 42: 123–135. , ,
- 1990. Large-eddy simulation of the stably-stratified atmospheric boundary layer. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 42: 117–162. ,
- 1987. Large-eddy simulations of the neutral-static-stability planetary boundary layer. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 113: 413–443. ,
- 2006. Ekman layer rectification. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 36: 1646–1659. ,
- 2009. Buoyancy effects in a stratified Ekman layer. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 39: 2581–2599. , ,
- 2001. Pressure–potential-temperature covariance in convection with rotation. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 127: 89–110.
- 1984. The turbulent structure of the stable, nocturnal boundary layer. J. Atmos. Sci. 41: 2202–2216.
- 1946. Turbulence in thermally nonhomogeneous atmosphere. Trudy Inst. Teor. Geofiz. Akad. Nauk SSSR 1: 95–115.
- 1992. Geostrophic drag coefficient over sea ice. Tellus 44A: 54–66. ,
- 1973. The deepening of the wind-mixed layer. Geophys. Fluid Dyn. 3: 381–404. , ,
- 1935. The layer of frictional influence in wind and ocean currents. Pap. Phys. Oceanogr. Meteorol. 3: 1–101. ,
- 2000. Large-eddy simulation of the stably stratified planetary boundary layer. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 95: 1–30. , ,
- 2002. Supplement to ‘Third-order transport due to internal waves and non-local turbulence in stably stratified surface layer’. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 128: 1029–1031. ,
- 1978. On the structure and dynamics of the oceanic bottom boundary layer. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 8: 557–570. ,
- 1981. Progress in the modelling of planetary boundary layers. Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 13: 253–272.
- 2003. Large-eddy simulations of the wind-induced turbulent Ekman layer. J. Fluid Mech. 495: 343–368. , ,
- 1972. On the determination of the height of the Ekman boundary layer. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 3: 141–145.
- 1989. Velocity profiles, the resistance law and the dissipation rate of mean flow kinetic energy in a neutrally and stably stratified planetary boundary layer. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 46: 367–387.
- 2002. Third-order transport due to internal waves and non-local turbulence in stably stratified surface layer. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 128: 913–925.
- 2002. On integral measures of the neutral barotropic planetary boundary layer. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 104: 371–379. ,
- 2003. The effect of baroclinicity on the equilibrium depth of neutral and stable planetary boundary layers. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 129: 3339–3356. ,
- 1996. On the equilibrium depth of a stably stratified boundary layer. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 81: 325–351. ,
- 2002. Diagnostic and prognostic equations for the depth of the stably stratified Ekman boundary layer. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 128: 25–46. , , , , ,
- 2007. Further comments on the equilibrium height of neutral and stable planetary boundary layers. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 133: 265–271. , ,