The contribution of Jonathan Flowerdew and Ken Mylne was written in the course of their employment at the Met Office, UK and is published with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland.
Development and evaluation of an ensemble forecasting system for coastal storm surges
Article first published online: 2 AUG 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society and Crown Copyright.
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 136, Issue 651, pages 1444–1456, July 2010 Part B
How to Cite
Flowerdew, J., Horsburgh, K., Wilson, C. and Mylne, K. (2010), Development and evaluation of an ensemble forecasting system for coastal storm surges. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 136: 1444–1456. doi: 10.1002/qj.648
- Issue published online: 10 SEP 2010
- Article first published online: 2 AUG 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 APR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 25 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Received: 12 JUN 2009
- Environment Agency for England and Wales. Grant Number: SC050069
- 2005. The east coast Big Flood, 31 January–1 February 1953: A summary of the human disaster. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London 363A: 1293–1312. .
- 2009. ‘Probabilistic coastal flood forecasting: Forecast demonstration and evaluation.’ Environment Agency Science Report SCO50069/SR2. , , , , .
- 2008. The MOGREPS short-range ensemble prediction system. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 703–722. , , , , .
- 2005. A comparison of the ECMWF, MSC, and NCEP global ensemble prediction systems. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 1076–1097. , , , , , .
- 2008. Future wind, wave and storm surge climate in the Northern Seas: A revisit. Tellus 60A: 427–438. , .
- 2008. ‘Probability forecasts for water levels at the coast of the Netherlands.’ ECMWF Newsletter 114: 23–29. .
- 2000. Existing operational oceanography. Coastal Eng. 41: 13–40. .
- 2009. Ensemble forecasting of storm surges. Mar. Geodesy 32: 91–99. , , .
- 2005. What happened in 1953? The Big Flood in the Netherlands in retrospect. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London 363A: 1271–1291. .
- 2007. Tide–surge interaction and its role in the distribution of surge residuals in the North Sea. J. Geophys. Res. 112: C08003, DOI: 10.1029/2006JC004033. , .
- 2008. Aspects of operational forecast model skill during an extreme storm surge event. J. Flood Risk Management 1: 213–221. , , , .
- 2004. Assimilation of sea level data over continental shelves: An ensemble method for the exploration of model errors due to uncertainties in bathymetry. Dyn. Atmos. Oceans 38: 93–121. , , , .
- 1966. Tidal spectroscopy and prediction. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London 259A: 533–581. , .
- 2000. Skill and relative economic value of the ECMWF ensemble prediction system. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 126: 649–667. .
- 2004. Potential benefits of using probabilistic forecasts for waves and marine winds based on the ECMWF Ensemble Prediction System. Weather and Forecasting 19: 673–689. , .
- 2003. A comparison of breeding and ensemble transform Kalman Filter ensemble forecast schemes. J. Atmos. Sci. 60: 1140–1158. , .
- 2006. Statistical methods in the atmospheric sciences. Second edition, vol. 91 of International geophysics series. Elsevier: Amsterdam. .