A mollified ensemble Kalman filter
Article first published online: 31 AUG 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 136, Issue 651, pages 1636–1643, July 2010 Part B
How to Cite
Bergemann, K. and Reich, S. (2010), A mollified ensemble Kalman filter. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 136: 1636–1643. doi: 10.1002/qj.672
- Issue published online: 10 SEP 2010
- Article first published online: 31 AUG 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JUN 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 21 MAY 2010
- Manuscript Received: 16 FEB 2010
- 1999. A Monte Carlo implementation of the nonlinear filtering problem to produce ensemble assimilations and forecasts. Mon. Weather Rev. 127: 2741–2758. ,
- 2009. Data assimilation in a system with two scales—combining two initialization techniques. Tellus 61A: 539–549. , ,
- 2010. A localization technique for ensemble Kalman filters. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136: 701–707. ,
- 1996. Data assimilation using incremental analysis updates. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 124: 1256–1271. , , ,
- 1998. On the analysis scheme in the ensemble Kalman filter. Mon. Weather Rev. 126: 1719–1724. , ,
- 2006. Semi-geostrophic particle motion and exponentially accurate normal forms. SIAM Multiscale Modelling 5: 476–496. ,
- 2006. Data assimilation. The ensemble Kalman filter. Springer-Verlag: New York.
- 1944. The identity of weak and strong extensions of differential operators. Trans. Am. Math. Soc. 55: 132–151.
- 1998. The mollified impulse method for oscillatory differential equations. SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 20: 930–963. , ,
- 1999. Construction of correlation functions in two and three dimensions. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 125: 723–757. ,
- 2001. Distance-dependent filtering of background covariance estimates in an ensemble Kalman filter. Mon. Weather Rev. 129: 2776–2790. , ,
- 1976. The initialization of numerical models by a dynamic relaxation technique. Mon. Weather Rev. 104: 1551–1556. ,
- 2001. A sequential ensemble Kalman filter for atmospheric data assimilation. Mon. Weather Rev. 129: 123–136. ,
- 2005. Ensemble Kalman filtering. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 3269–3289. ,
- 1999. Longer time steps for molecular dynamics. J. Chem. Phys. 110: 9853–9864. , ,
- 2009. Covariance localisation and balance in an ensemble Kalman Filter. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 1157–1176.
- 2009. ‘A hybrid ensemble Kalman filter approach to data assimilation in a two-dimensional shallow-water model’. In 23rd Conference on Weather Analysis and Forecasting/19th Conference on Numerical Weather Prediction, AMS Conference Proceedings. American Meteorological Society: Omaha, NE, p 9A.4. ,
- 2005. Simulating Hamiltonian Dynamics. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. ,
- 1996. ‘Predictibility: A problem partly solved’. In Proc. Seminar on Predictibility, Vol. 1. ECMWF: Reading, UK, pp 1–18.
- 1998. Optimal sites for suplementary weather observations: Simulations with a small model. J. Atmos. Sci. 55: 399–414. ,
- 1991. Dynamic initialization by repeated insertion of data. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 117: 965–991.
- 2006. Four-dimensional data assimilation and balanced dynamics. J. Atmos. Sci. 63: 1840–1858. , ,
- 2007. Impact of localization in the EnKF and EnOI: Experiments with a small model. Ocean Dyn. 57: 32–45. , ,
- 2004. On the relationship between incremental analysis updating and incremental digital filtering. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 2495–2502. , , , ,
- 1999. Lectures on Geophysical Fluid Dynamics. Oxford University Press: Oxford.
- 2006. Optimal state estimation. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: New York.
- 2003. Ensemble square root filters. Mon. Weather Rev. 131: 1485–1490. , , , ,
- 2004. Exponentially accurate balance dynamics. Adv. Diff. Eq. 9: 177–196.
- 2000. Averaging, slaving and balance dynamics in a simple atmospheric model. Physica D 141: 37–53. ,