The contribution of R. Todling to this article was prepared as part of his official duties as a US Federal Government employee.
Adjoint sensitivity of the model forecast to data assimilation system error covariance parameters
Article first published online: 11 OCT 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 136, Issue 653, pages 2000–2012, October 2010 Part B
How to Cite
Daescu, D. N. and Todling, R. (2010), Adjoint sensitivity of the model forecast to data assimilation system error covariance parameters. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 136: 2000–2012. doi: 10.1002/qj.693
- Issue published online: 8 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 11 OCT 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 AUG 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 28 JUL 2010
- Manuscript Received: 22 APR 2010
- 2009. Diagnostics for evaluating the impact of satellite observations. In Data Assimilation for Atmospheric, Oceanic and Hydrologic Applications. , . (eds.) JCSDA: Camp Springs, Maryland, USA. 177–196. ,
- 2000. Observation and background adjoint sensitivity in the adaptive observation-targeting problem. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 126: 1431–1454. ,
- 2008a. A review of forecast-error covariance statistics in atmospheric variational data assimilation. I: Characteristics and measurements of forecast-error covariances. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 1951–1970.
- 2008b. A review of forecast-error covariance statistics in atmospheric variational data assimilation. II: Modelling the forecast-error covariance statistics. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 1971–1996.
- 2002. A study on the optimization of the deployment of targeted observations using adjoint-based methods. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 128: 1689–1712. ,
- 2005. Evaluation of new estimates of background- and observation-error covariances for variational assimilation. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 3373–3383. , ,
- 2003. Sensitivity and Uncertainty Analysis, Vol. 1: Theory. Chapman & Hall/CRC Press: London and New York.
- 2009. Monitoring the observation impact on the short-range forecast. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 239–250.
- 2004. Properties and first applications of an error statistics tuning method in variational assimilation. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 130: 2253–2275. , , ,
- 2006. Diagnosis and tuning of observational error in a quasi-operational data assimilation setting. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 132: 543–565. , , ,
- 1997. An introduction to estimation theory. J. Meteorol. Soc. Japan 75: 257–288.
- 1994. A strategy of operational implementation of 4D-Var using an incremental approach. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 120: 1367–1388. , ,
- 2008. On the sensitivity equations of four-dimensional variational (4D-Var) data assimilation. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 3050–3065.
- 2009. On the deterministic observation impact guidance: A geometrical perspective. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 3567–3574.
- 2009. Adjoint estimation of the variation in model functional output due to the assimilation of data. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 1705–1716. ,
- 1991. Atmospheric Data Analysis. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK.
- 2001. NAVDAS: Formulation and diagnostics. Mon. Weather Rev. 129: 869–883. ,
- 1995. On-line estimation of error covariance parameters for atmospheric data assimilation. Mon. Weather Rev. 123: 1128–1145.
- 1999. Maximum-likelihood estimation of forecast and observation error covariance parameters. Part I: Methodology. Mon. Weather Rev. 127: 1822–1834. ,
- 2001. Diagnosis and adaptive tuning of observation-error parameters in a variational assimilation. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 127: 1433–1452. ,
- 2005. Diagnosis of observation, background, and analysis-error statistics in observation space. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 3385–3396. , , ,
- 2009. Aposteriori diagnostics in an ensemble of perturbed analyses. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 3420–3436. , , ,
- 2001. Sensitivity to observations applied to FASTEX cases. Nonlinear Proc. Geophys. 8: 467–481. ,
- 2002. Adjoint sensitivity of the forecast to TOVS observations. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 128: 2759–2777. , , ,
- 2006. Adaptive data assimilation including the effect of spatial variations in observation error. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 132: 1225–1257.
- 1999. Construction of correlation functions in two and three dimensions. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 125: 723–757. ,
- 2007. Examination of various-order adjoint-based approximations of observation impact. Meteorol. Zeitschrift 16: 685–692. , ,
- 2009. Examination of observation impacts derived from observing system experiments (OSEs) and adjoint models. Tellus 61A: 179–193. ,
- 2005. Generating tangent linear and adjoint versions of NASA/GMAO's Fortran-90 global weather forecast model. In Automatic Differentiation: Applications, Theory, and Implementations. Vol. 50 of Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering. , , , , . (eds.) 275–284. Springer: New York. , , , , ,
- 2002. Using improved background-error covariances from an ensemble Kalman filter for adaptive observations. Mon. Weather Rev. 130: 1552–1572. ,
- 2006. Treatment of observation error due to unresolved scales in atmospheric data assimilation. Mon. Weather Rev. 134: 2900–2915. ,
- 1970. Stochastic Processes and Filtering Theory. Academic Press.
- 2007. Effects of data selection and error specification on the assimilation of AIRS data. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 133: 181–196. , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2002. Atmospheric Modeling, Data Assimilation and Predictability. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK.
- 2005. Observation impact during the North Atlantic TReC-2003. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 2297–2309.
- 2004. Estimation of observation impact using the NRL atmospheric variational data assimilation adjoint system. Tellus 56A: 189–201. ,
- 1997. Sensitivity analysis in variational data assimilation. J. Meteorol. Soc. Japan 75: 245–255. , , ,
- 2006. Improving global analysis and forecasting with AIRS. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 87: 891–894. , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2009. Simultaneous estimation of covariance inflation and observation errors within an ensemble Kalman filter. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 523–533. , ,
- 2004. A vertically Lagrangian finite-volume dynamical core for general circulation models. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 2293–2307.
- 2008. Estimation of observation impact without adjoint model in an ensemble Kalman filter. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 1327–1335. ,
- 2003. Modelling of error covariances by 4D-Var data assimilation. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 129: 3167–3182.
- 1998. Optimal sites for supplementary weather observations: Simulation with a small model. J. Atmos. Sci. 55: 399–414. ,
- 1999. Matrix Differential Calculus with Applications in Statistics and Econometrics. (Revised edition). John Wiley & Sons Ltd: New York and Chichester, UK. ,
- 1996. The application of the Kalman smoother theory to the estimation of the 4DVAR error statistics. Tellus 48A: 221–237. ,
- 2008. The GEOS-5 Data Assimilation System—Documentation ofversions 5.0.1, 5.1.0, and 5.2.0. NASA/TM-2008-104606, Vol. 27, Tech. Rep. Series on Global Modeling and Assimilation. NASA Goddard Space Flight Center: Greenbelt, Maryland, USA. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Development of NAVDAS-AR: Non-linear formulation and outer loop tests. Tellus 58A: 45–58. ,
- 1999. ‘A posteriori verification of analysis and assimilation algorithms’. In Proceedings of workshop on Diagnosis of Data Assimilation Systems, 2–4 November 1998, 17–28. ECMWF: Reading, UK.
- 2003. ‘Objective validation and evaluation of data assimilation’ In Proceedings of seminar on Recent Developments in Data Assimilation for Atmosphere and Ocean, 8–12 September 2003, 287–299. ECMWF: Reading, UK.
- 2008. Ensemble-based sensitivity analysis. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 663–677. ,
- 2007a. Incremental 4D-Var convergence study. Tellus 59A: 706–718.
- 2007b. First-order and higher-order approximations of observation impact. Meteorol. Zeitschrift 16: 693–694.
- 2008. Computation of observation sensitivity and observation impact in incremental variational data assimilation. Tellus 60A: 964–978.
- 2002. Three-dimensional variational analysis with spacially inhomogeneous covariances. Mon. Weather Rev. 130: 2905–2916. , ,
- 2008. Observation sensitivity calculations using the adjoint of the Gridpoint Statistical Interpolation (GSI) analysis system. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 335–351. ,