The contribution of A. J. Baran was written in the course of his employment at the Met Office, UK and is published with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland.
Version of Record online: 12 JAN 2011
Copyright © Royal Meteorological Society and Crown Copyright, 2011
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 137, Issue 654, pages 199–218, January 2011 Part A
How to Cite
Baran, A. J., Connolly, P. J., Heymsfield, A. J. and Bansemer, A. (2011), Using in situ estimates of ice water content, volume extinction coefficient, and the total solar optical depth obtained during the tropical ACTIVE campaign to test an ensemble model of cirrus ice crystals. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 137: 199–218. doi: 10.1002/qj.731
The contributions of A. J. Heymsfield and A. Bensemer were prepared as part of their official duties as US Federal Government employees.
- Issue online: 25 JAN 2011
- Version of Record online: 12 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 OCT 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 10 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Received: 7 AUG 2009
Vol. 138, Issue 664, 840, Version of Record online: 5 APR 2012
- 2009. A review of the light scattering properties of cirrus. J. Quant. Spectrosc. Rad. Transf. 110: 1239–1260.
- 2004. On the radiative properties of cirrus cloud at solar and thermal wavelengths: A test of model consistency using high-resolution airborne radiance measurements. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 130: 763–778. ,
- 2007. A self-consistent scattering model for cirrus. I: The solar region. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 133: 1899–1912. ,
- 2001. A scattering phase function for ice cloud: Tests of applicability using aircraft and satellite multi-angle multiwavelength radiance measurements of cirrus. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 127: 2395–2416. , , ,
- 2003. A consistent set of single-scattering properties for cirrus cloud: Tests using radiance measurements from a dual-viewing multi-wavelength satellite-based instrument. J. Quant. Spectrosc. Rad. Transf. 79–80: 549–567. , , ,
- 2009. Testing an ensemble model of cirrus ice crystals using mid-latitude in situ estimates of ice water content, volume extinction coefficient, and the total solar optical depth. J. Quant. Spectrosc. Rad. Transf. 110: 1579–1598. , ,
- 2005. Bulk scattering properties for the remote sensing of ice clouds. Part I. Microphysical data and models. J. Appl. Meteorol. 44: 1885–1895. , , ,
- 2007. Bulk scattering properties for the remote sensing of ice clouds. Part III: High-resolution spectral models from 100 to 3250 cm−1. J. Appl. Meteorol. 46: 423–434. , , , , ,
- 1995. Improved measurements of the ice water content in cirrus using an evaporative technique. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 12: 410–414. ,
- 2006. Radiative effects of cirrus with different optical properties over the tropics in MODIS and CERES observations. Geophys. Res. Lett. 33: L21811. ,
- 2005. Aircraft observations of the influence of electric fields on the aggregation of ice crystals. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 1695–1712. , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Calibration of the cloud particle imager probes using calibration beads and ice crystal analogs: The depth of field. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 24: 1860–1879. , , , , ,
- 1997. Large-scale ice clouds in the GFDL SKYHI general circulation model. J. Geophys Res. 102: 21745–21768. , , , , , ,
- 2007. A new parametrization for the radiative properties of ice crystals: Comparison with existing schemes and impact in a GCM. Atmos. Res. 83: 19–35. , , ,
- 2003. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 20: 249–261. , , , , , ,
- 2005. Parametrization of ice-particle size distribution functions for midlatitude stratiform cloud. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 1997–2017. , , , , ,
- 2006. Shattering and particle interarrival times measured by optical array probes in ice clouds. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 23: 1357–1371. , ,
- 2007. Snow size distribution parameterization for mid-latitude and tropical ice cloud. J. Atmos. Sci. 64: 4346–4365. , ,
- 1999. Aircraft measurements of the solar and infrared radiative properties of cirrus and their dependence on ice crystal shape. J. Geophys. Res. 104: 31685–31695. , ,
- 2007. A new parameterization of an asymmetry factor of cirrus clouds for climate models. J. Atmos. Sci. 64: 4140–4150.
- 2007. On measurements of small ice particles in clouds. Geophys. Res. Lett. 34: L23812.
- 2002. A general approach for deriving the properties of cirrus and stratiform ice cloud particles. J. Atmos. Sci. 59: 3–29. , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Effective ice particle densities derived from aircraft data. J. Atmos. Sci. 61: 982–1003. , , , ,
- 2007. High cloud properties from three years of MODIS Terra and Aqua collection-4 data over the tropics. J. Appl. Meteorol. Climatol. 46: 1840–1856. , , , , , , and
- IPCC. 2007. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. 2007. , , , , , , , . (eds.) Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK.
- 2008. Formation of large (similar or equal to 100 μm) ice crystals near the tropical tropopause. J. Atmos. Chem. Phys. 8: 1621–1633. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. Assessment of cloud optical parameters in the solar region: Retrievals from airborne measurements of scattering phase functions. J. Geophys. Res. 108: 4572. , , , ,
- 2000. The impact of a new scheme for the optical properties of ice crystals on the climate of two GCMs. J. Geophys. Res. 105: 10063–10079. , ,
- 2001. An overview of microphysical properties of Arctic clouds observed in May and July during FIRE.ACE. J. Geophys. Res. 106: 14989–15014. , , ,
- 2003. ‘In situ measurements of microphysical properties of mid-latitude and anvil cirrus and validation of satellite retrievals’. Paper no. TS 32.4 in Proceedings of the 30th International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment, Honolulu, Hawaii. , ,
- 2008. Aircraft measurements of microphysical properties of subvisual cirrus in the tropical tropopause layer. Atmos. Chem. Phys. 8: 1609–1620. , , , , , ,
- 1986. Influence of cirrus clouds on weather and climate processes: A global perspective. Mon. Weather. Rev. 114: 1167–1199.
- 2000. Light scattering and radiative transfer by ice crystal clouds: Applications to climate research. In Light scattering by nonspherical particles: Theory, measurements, and geophysical applications. , , . (eds.) Academic Press: San Diego, California. 417–449. , ,
- 2002. Cirrus. Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK. , , ,
- 1999. Retrievals of vertical profiles of ice cloud microphysics from radar and IR measurements using tuned regressions between reflectivity and cloud parameters. J. Geophys. Res. 104: 16741–16753.
- 2009. Aerosol and thermodynamic effects on tropical cloud systems during TWPICE and ACTIVE. Atmos. Chem. Phys. 9: 15–24. , , , , , ,
- 1996. Microphysical characteristics of three anvils sampled during the central equatorial Pacific experiment. J. Atmos. Sci. 53: 2401–2423. ,
- 2002. A new parameterization of single scattering solar radiative properties for tropical anvils using observed ice crystal size and shape distributions. J. Atmos. Sci. 59: 2458–2478. , , ,
- 2007. Importance of small ice crystals to cirrus properties: Observations from the Tropical Warm Pool International Cloud Experiment (TWP-ICE). Geophys. Res. Lett. 34: L13803. , , , , ,
- 2003. The MODIS cloud products: Algorithms and examples from Terra. IEEE. Trans. Gesosci. Remote Sens. 41: 459–473. , , , , , ,
- 2000. Remote sensing of optical and microphysical properties of cirrus clouds using MODIS channels: Methodology and sensitivity to assumptions. J. Geophys. Res. 105: 11721–11738. , , , ,
- 2001. A mid-latitude cirrus cloud climatology from the facility for atmospheric remote sensing. Part III: Radiative properties. J. Atmos. Sci. 58: 2113–2127. ,
- 2008. Global distribution of cirrus clouds from CloudSat/Cloud-Aerosol lidar and infrared pathfinder satellite observations (CALIPSO) measurements. J. Geophys. Res. 113: D00A12. , ,
- 1990. The relevance of the microphysical and radiative properties of cirrus clouds to climate and climatic feedback. J. Atmos. Sci. 47: 1742–1753. , , ,
- 2000. ‘Microphysical features in tropical clouds’. In Proceedings of the 13th international conference on clouds and precipitation, 14–18 August 2000, Reno, Nevada, USA. 1245–1248. , , ,
- 2007. The occurrence of ‘irregular’ ice particles in stratiform clouds. J. Atmos. Sci. 64: 2740–2750. , ,
- 2006. Cloud properties and their seasonal and diurnal variability from TOVS Path-B. J. Climate 19: 5531–5553. , , , ,
- 2009. Single scattering properties of aggregates of plates. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 291–304. ,
- 1957. Light Scattering by Small Particles. J. Wiley & Sons: New York.
- 2008. Studies in a natural laboratory: High-altitude aircraft measurements around deep tropical convection. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 89: 647–662. , , , , , , ,
- 2009. Cloud ice: A climate model challenge with signs and expectations of progress. J. Geophys. Res. 114: D00A21. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Anatomy of cirrus clouds: Results from the Emerald airborne campaigns. Geophys. Res. Lett. 31: L24102, DOI:10.1029/2004GL021201. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1999. A microphysically based precipitation scheme for the UK Meteorological Office Unified Model. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc. 125: 1607–1636. ,
- 1999. Eight years of high cloud statistics using HIRS. J. Climate. 12: 170–184. ,
- 2003. Single-scattering properties of droxtals. J. Quant. Spectrosc. Rad. Transf. 79–80: 1159–1180. , , , , , ,
- 1999. Effect of crystal size spectrum and crystal shape on stratiform cirrus radiative forcing. Atmos. Res. 52: 59–75. , ,