Spectrum of infrasound radiation from supercell storms
Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 137, Issue 654, pages 229–235, January 2011 Part A
How to Cite
Akhalkatsi, M. and Gogoberidze, G. (2011), Spectrum of infrasound radiation from supercell storms. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 137: 229–235. doi: 10.1002/qj.734
- Issue online: 25 JAN 2011
- Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 OCT 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 23 AUG 2010
- Manuscript Received: 27 APR 2010
- 1966. The ‘musical’ sound emitted by a tornado. Mon. Weather Rev. 94: 213–220.
- 2009. Infrasound generation by tornadic supercell storms. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 935–940. ,
- 1976. Infrasound from convective storms: An experimental test of electrical source mechanisms. J. Geophys. Res 81: 18, DOI: 10.1029/JC081i018p03133. , ,
- 2005. Low-frequency atmospheric acoustic energy associated with vortices produced by thunderstorms. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 241–263.
- 2000. Atmospheric infrasound. Phys. Today 53: 32–37. ,
- 2004a. ‘The Infrasound Network (ISNet): Background, design details and display capability as an 88D adjunct tornado detection tool’. In Proceedings of 22nd Conference on Severe Local Storms, Hyannis, Mass, 4–8 October. Amer. Meteorol. Soc: Boston, USA. , , , ,
- 2004b. ‘Overview of the ISNet data set and conclusions and recommendations from a March 2004 workshop to review ISNet data’. In Proceedings of 22nd Conference on Severe Local Storms, Hyannis, Mass, 4–8 October. Amer. Meteorol. Soc: Boston, USA. , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1971. Observations of infrasound and subsonic disturbances related to severe weather. Geophys. J. R. Astron. Soc. 26: 215–242. ,
- 1993. ‘Helicity trends in tornado outbreaks’. In Preprints of 17th Conference on Severe Local Storms, St. Louis, Mo. Amer. Meteorol. Soc: Boston, USA. 56–60.
- 1973. Infrasound from convective storms: Examining the evidence. Rev. Geophys. Space Phys. 11: 571–594.
- 1976. ‘Infrasound from convective storms. Part II: A critique of source candidates’. Tech. Report ERL 380-WPL 49. NOAA: Washington DC.
- 1988. Infrasound from thunderstorms. In Instruments and Techniques for Thunderstorm Observation and Analysis. . (ed.) University of Oklahoma Press: Norman, Okla, USA. 75–81.
- 1975. Infrasound from convective storms. Part IV. Is it useful for storm warning? J. Appl. Meteorol. 17: 1303–1316. ,
- 2007. Spectrum of gravitational radiation from primordial turbulence. Phys. Rev. D 76: 083002. , ,
- 1976. Aeroacoustics. McGraw Hill: New York.
- 2002. A generalized acoustic analogy. J. Fluid Mech. 488: 315–333.
- 1975. Turbulence. McGraw Hill: New York.
- 2001. Lectures on the theory of vortex-sound. In Sound–flow interactions. , , , . (eds.) Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 31–47.
- 1964. Decay of isotropic turbulence in the Direct Interaction Approximation. Phys. Fluids 7: 1030–1048.
- 1979. Severe thunderstorm evolution and mesocyclone structure as related to tornadogenesis. Mon. Weather Rev. 107: 1184–1197. ,
- 1952. On sound generated aerodynamically. I. General theory. Proc. R. Soc. London Ser. A 211: 564–587.
- 2009. Tornadogenesis: Our current understanding, forecasting considerations, and questions to guide future research. Atmos. Res. 93: 3–10. ,
- 1998. Variability of storm-relative helicity during VORTEX. Mon. Weather Rev. 126: 2959–2971. , , ,
- 2002. Direct surface thermodynamic observations within the rear-flank downdrafts of nontornadic and tornadic supercells. Mon. Weather Rev. 130: 1692–1721. , ,
- 2003. Tornadogenesis resulting from the transport of circulation by a downdraft. J. Atmos. Sci. 60: 795–823. , ,
- 1991. Buoyancy and shear characteristics of hurricane-tornado environments. Mon. Weather Rev. 119: 1954–1978.
- 1996. Simulations of shallow supercell storms in landfalling hurricane environments. Mon. Weather Rev. 124: 408–429. ,
- 1975. Statistical Fluid Mechanics. MIT Press: Cambridge, Mass, USA. ,
- 2003. Refined supercell and tornado forecast parameters. Weather Forecast. 18: 530–535.
- 1998. A baseline climatology of sounding-derived supercell and tornado forecast parameters. Weather Forecast. 13: 1148–1164. ,
- 1982. The influence of the shear-induced pressure gradient on thunderstorm motion. Mon. Weather Rev. 110: 136–151. ,
- 2008. Infrasound emitted by tornado-like vortices: Basic theory and a numerical comparison to the acoustic radiation of a single-cell thunderstorm. J. Atmos. Sci. 65: 685–713. , , , ,
- 1967. Generation of acoustic and gravity waves by turbulence in an isothermal stratified atmosphere. Solar Phys. 2: 385–432.
- 2004. ‘A comparison of inset data with radar data for tornadic and potentially tornadic storms in northeast Colorado’. In Proceedings of 22nd Conference on Severe Local Storms, Hyannis, Mass, 4–8 October. Amer. Meteorol. Soc: Boston, USA. , , ,
- 2000. An overview of environmental conditions and forecast implications of the 3 May 1999 tornado outbreak. Weather Forecast. 15: 682–699. ,
- 2003. Close proximity soundings within supercell environments obtained from the Rapid Update Cycle. Weather Forecast. 18: 1243–1261. , , , ,
- 1982. The dependence of numerically simulated convective storms on vertical wind shear and buoyancy. Mon. Weather Rev. 110: 504–520. ,