Classifying severe rainfall events over Italy by hydrometeorological and dynamical criteria
Article first published online: 12 JAN 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 137, Issue 654, pages 148–154, January 2011 Part A
How to Cite
Molini, L., Parodi, A., Rebora, N. and Craig, G. C. (2011), Classifying severe rainfall events over Italy by hydrometeorological and dynamical criteria. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 137: 148–154. doi: 10.1002/qj.741
- Issue published online: 25 JAN 2011
- Article first published online: 12 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 NOV 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 20 AUG 2010
- Manuscript Received: 23 MAR 2010
- 2009. Inclusion of potential vorticity uncertainties into a hydrometeorological forecasting chain: application to a medium size basin of Mediterranean Spain. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss. 6: 535–587. , , ,
- 1974. Interaction of a cumulus cloud ensemble with the large-scale environment Part I. J. Atmos. Sci. 31: 674–701. ,
- 2008. Impact of initial condition uncertainties on the predictability of heavy rainfall in the Mediterranean: a case study. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 1775–1788. , , , ,
- 2006. Extreme rainfall events: learning from rain gauge time series. J. Hydrol. 327: 304–314. , ,
- 2008. A New parsimonious methodology of mapping the spatial variability of annual maximum rainfall in mountainous environments. J. Hydrometeorol. 9: 492–506. , ,
- 1964. On the growth on the hurricane depression. J. Atmos. Sci. 21: 68–75. ,
- 2007. High-resolution simulations of an intense convective precipitation event. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 95: 139–154. , ,
- 2006. Mesoscale simulations of organized convection: importance of convective equilibrium. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 132: 737–756. , , , ,
- 1994. Atmospheric Convection. Oxford University Press, 580 pp.
- 2000. Quasi-equilibrium thinking. General Circulation Model Development. , Ed. Academic Press, 225–255.
- 2007. Predictability of a large-scale flow conducive to extreme precipitation over the western Alps. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 95: 123–138.
- 2007a. Atmospheric predictability at synoptic versus cloud-resolving scales. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 88: 1783–1793. ,
- 2007b. Predictability and error growth dynamics in cloud-resolving models. J. Atmos. Sci. 64: 4467–4478. ,
- 2006. Predictability mysteries in cloud-resolving models. Mon. Weather Rev. 134: 2095–2107. , ,
- 2008. Cloud-resolving ensemble simulations of the August 2005 Alpine flood. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc.Y 134: 889–904. , , ,
- 2009. A novel technique for nonlinear sensitivity analysis: application to moist predictability. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 1520–1537. ,
- 2008. Two-way one-dimensional high-resolution air–sea coupled modelling applied to Mediterranean heavy rain events. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 187–204. , ,
- 2004. On the relationship between cyclone and extreme windstorm events over Europe under climate change. Global Planet. Change 44: 181–193. ,
- 1994. Vertical velocity in oceanic convection off tropical Australia. J. Atmos. Sci. 51: 3183–3193. , ,
- 2008. An observational and numerical study of a flash-flood event over south-eastern Italy. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci 8: 1417–1430. ,
- 2009. Dealing with uncertainty: an analysis of the severe weather events over Italy in 2006. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci 9: 1–13. , ,
- 1971. A theory on parametrization of cumulus convection. J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn 49: 744–756.
- 1996. Linkage of scaling and thermodynamic parameters of rainfall: results from midlatitude mesoscale convective systems. J. Geophys. Res. 101: 7431–7448. ,
- 1997. Potential use of the ECMWF Ensemble Prediction System in cases of extreme weather events. Meteorol. Appl. 4: 69–84. , , ,
- 2005. Predictability of prototype flash flood events in the Western Mediterranean under uncertainties of the precursor upper-level disturbance: The HYDROPTIMET case studies. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci 5: 505–525. , , , ,
- 2008. Intra-seasonal atmospheric variability and extreme precipitation events in the European–Mediterranean region. Geophys. Res. Lett. 35: L15708. DOI:10.1029/2008GL034515. , ,
- 2007. ERA-Interim: New ECMWF reanalysis products from 1989 onwards. ECMWF Newsl. 110: 25–35. , , ,
- 2003. Some views on ‘Hot Towers’ after 50 years of tropical field programs and two years of TRMM data. Meteorol. Monographs 29: 49–49.