Extensive studies of large-amplitude Kelvin–Helmholtz billows in the lower atmosphere with VHF middle and upper atmosphere radar
Article first published online: 12 MAY 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 137, Issue 657, pages 1019–1041, April 2011 Part B
How to Cite
Fukao, S., Luce, H., Mega, T. and Yamamoto, M. K. (2011), Extensive studies of large-amplitude Kelvin–Helmholtz billows in the lower atmosphere with VHF middle and upper atmosphere radar. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 137: 1019–1041. doi: 10.1002/qj.807
- Issue published online: 1 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 12 MAY 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 3 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 11 SEP 2010
- 2000. Experimental probability density functions of small-scale fluctuations in the stably stratified atmosphere. J. Fluid. Mech. 402: 137–162. ,
- 1970. The birth of ‘CAT’ and microscale turbulence. J. Atmos. Sci. 27: 903–913. , , ,
- 2008. On the scale-dependence of the gradient Richardson number in the residual layer. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 127: 57–72. , ,
- 1982. Some characteristics of clear-air turbulence in the middle stratosphere. J. Atmos. Sci. 39: 2553–2564.
- 2001. Turbulence statistics of a Kelvin–Helmholtz billow event observed in the night-time boundary layer during the CASES-99 field program. Dyn. Atmos. Oceans 34: 189–204. , , , , , ,
- 1970. CAT at a subsidence inversion: a case study. J. Appl. Meteorol. 9: 534–537.
- 1973. Meso-scale history of a small patch of clear air turbulence. J. Appl. Meteorol. 12: 814–821.
- 1971. Structure of the atmosphere in the vicinity of large-amplitude Kelvin–Helmholtz billows. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 97: 283–290.
- 1970. Observations of clear air turbulence by high power radar. Nature 227: 260–263. ,
- 1973. Air motion within Kelvin–Helmholtz billows determined from simultaneous Doppler radar and aircraft measurements. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 99: 608–618. , , ,
- 1997. Radar observations of wind-shear splitting within evolving atmospheric Kelvin–Helmholtz billows. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 123: 1433–1439. ,
- 1999. Release of potential shearing instability in warm frontal zones. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 125: 2265–2289. ,
- 2001. Measurements of dissipation rate in frontal zones. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 127: 1939–1959. ,
- 2009. Extended application of a novel phase calibration approach of multiple-frequency range imaging to the Chun-Li and MU VHF radars. J. Atmos. Ocean. Tech. 26: 2488–2500. , , , ,
- 1997. First observations of Kelvin–Helmholtz billows in an upper het-stream using the VHF frequency domain interferometry. Radio Sci. 32: 1149–1160. , ,
- 2003. Implementation and validation of range imaging on a UHF radar wind profiler. J. Atmos. Ocean. Tech. 20: 987–996. , , , ,
- 1995. Optical seeing-mechanism of formation of thin turbulent laminae in the atmosphere. Appl. Opt. 34: 5461–5474. , ,
- 1972. Acoustic sounding of meteorological phenomena in the planetary boundary layer. J. Appl. Meteorol. 11: 1351–1358. , ,
- 1995. A new frequency-modulated continuous wave radar for studying planetary boundary layer morphology. Radio Sci. 30: 75–88. , ,
- 1972. Observations of Helmholtz waves in the lower atmosphere with an acoustic sounder. J. Atmos. Sci. 29: 886–892. , , ,
- 1991. Turbulent mixing in stratified fluids. Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 23: 455–493.
- 2003. Layering accompanying turbulence generation due to shear instability and gravity-wave breaking. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 108: 8452, DOI: 10.1029/2002JD002406. , , ,
- 2009. Gravity-wave–fine structure interactions: a reservoir of small-scale and large-scale energy. Geophys. Res. Lett. 36: L19805, DOI: 10.1029/2009GL039501. , ,
- 1990. MU radar: new capabilities and system calibrations. Radio Sci. 25: 477–485. , , , ,
- 1991. Observations of a reversal in long-term average vertical velocities near the jet stream wind maximum. Mon. Weather Rev. 119: 1479–1489. , , , , ,
- 1994. Seasonal variability of vertical eddy diffusivity in the middle atmosphere. 1. Three-year observations by the middle and upper atmosphere radar. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 99: 18973–18987. , , , , , , , ,
- 1990. Radar observations of the free atmosphere: structure and dynamics. In Radar in Meteorology, (ed.) 534–565. American Meteorological Society: Boston, MA.
- 1980. Use of Doppler radar for the measurement of atmospheric turbulence parameters from the intensity of clear air echo. Radio Sci. 15: 407–416. , ,
- 2005. Turbulence parameter estimations from high-resolution balloon temperature measurements of the MUTSI-2000 campaign. Ann. Geophys. 23: 2401–2413. , , , ,
- 2010. Vertically-pointing airborne Doppler radar observations of Kelvin–Helmholtz billows. Mon. Weather Rev. 138: 982–986. ,
- 1990. Radar research on the atmospheric boundary layer. In Radar in Meteorology, (ed.) 477–527. American Meteorological Society: Boston, MA.
- 1975. Waves in the Atmosphere. Elsevier: New York. ,
- 1970. Internal waves in the atmosphere from high-resolution radar measurements. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 75: 3523–3536. , ,
- 1971. An analytical study of tropospheric structure as seen by high-resolution radar. J. Atmos. Sci. 28: 794–807. , ,
- 1969. Radar investigations of atmospheric structure and CAT in the 3 to 20-km region. In Clear Air Turbulence and its Detection, , (eds). 402–416. Plenum Press: New York. , ,
- 1973. Observation of Kelvin–Helmholtz billows and their mesoscale environment by radar, instrumented aircraft, and a dense radiosonde network. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 99: 279–293. , ,
- 2008. Description and demonstration of the new middle and upper atmosphere radar imaging system: 1-D, 2-D, and 3-D imaging of troposphere and stratosphere. Radio Sci. 43: RS2013, DOI: 10.1029/2006RS003603. , , ,
- 1969. Radar observations of a gravitational waves in the visually clear air near the tropopause associated with CAT. J. Appl. Meteorol. 8: 627–633.
- 1968. Radar observations of breaking gravitational waves in the visually clear atmosphere. J. Appl. Meteorol. 7: 114–121. ,
- 1985. Measurement of turbulent energy dissipation rates in the middle atmosphere by radar techniques: a review. Radio Sci. 20: 1403–1422.
- 2002. Properties of embedded convection in warm-frontal mixed-phase cloud from aircraft and polarimetric radar. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 128: 451–476. , , , ,
- 1986. A dynamically based transport parameterization for one-dimensional photochemical models of the stratosphere. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 91: 2681–2868.
- 1973. Stability of stratified shear flow. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 4: 511–523. ,
- 1981. An observational study of primary and secondary billows in the free atmosphere. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 107: 351–365. ,
- 2005. Persistence of a Kelvin–Helmholtz instability complex in the upper troposphere. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 110: D14106, DOI: 10.1029/2004JD005345. , , , , ,
- 1980. Further encounters with clear air turbulence in research aircraft. J. Atmos. Sci. 37: 986–993. ,
- 1991. The influence of stratification on secondary instability in shear free layers. J. Fluid Mech. 227: 71–106. ,
- 1980. Radar observations and model computation of a jet stream-generated Kelvin–Helmholtz instability. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 85: 2841–2846. ,
- 1981. Further study of a jet stream-generated Kelvin–Helmholtz instability. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 86: 6631–6637. ,
- 1971. Simultaneous radar and instrumented aircraft observations in a clear air turbulent layer. J. Appl. Meteorol. 10: 796–802.
- 1996. Vertical eddy diffusivity in the lower and middle atmosphere: a climatology based on the MU radar observations during 1986–1992. J. Atmos. Sol. Terr. Phys. 58: 727–734. , , , ,
- 1974. On the correct use of the wet adiabatic lapse rate in stability criteria of a saturated atmosphere. J. Appl. Meteorol. 13: 318–324. ,
- 2007. High-resolution observations of mesospheric layers with the Jicamarca VHF radar. Adv. Space Res. 40: 734–743. , , , , ,
- 2001. A frequency radar interferometric imaging applied with high resolution methods. J. Atmos. Sol. Terr. Phys. 63: 221–234. , , , ,
- 2006. High-resolution vertical imaging of the troposphere and lower stratosphere using the new MU radar system. Ann. Geophys. 24: 791–804. , , ,
- 2007. Range-imaging observations of cumulus convection and Kelvin–Helmholtz instabilities with the MU radar. Radio Sci. 42: RS1005, DOI: 10.1029/2005RS003439. , , , ,
- 2008. High-resolution observations with MU radar of a KH instability triggered by an inertia-gravity wave in the upper part of a jet-stream. J. Atmos. Sci. 65: 1711–1718. , , , ,
- 2010a. Observations of Kelvin–Helmholtz instability at a cloud base with the MU and weather radars. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 115: D19116, DOI: 10.1029/2009JD013519. , , , , , , , ,
- 2010b. MU radar and lidar observations of clear-air turbulence underneath cirrus. Mon. Weather Rev. 138: 438–452. , , , ,
- 1993. Breaking Kelvin–Helmholtz waves and cloud-top entrainment as revealed by K-band Doppler radar. Preprints, Ninth Conf. on Atmospheric and Oceanic Waves and Stability; San Antonio, TX. Amer. Meteor. Soc. pp. 141–144. ,
- 1981. Stratospheric eddy diffusion coefficients from tracer data. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 86: 9859–9868. ,
- 2010. Turbulence generation by Kelvin–Helmholtz instability in the tropical tropopause layer observed with a 47-MHz range imaging radar. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 115: D18115, DOI:10.1029/2010JD013864. , , , , , , ,
- 1964. Note on heterogeneous shear flow. J. Fluid. Mech. 20: 331–336. ,
- 1996. Possible effects of Kelvin–Helmholtz instability on VHF radar observations of the mean vertical wind. J. Appl. Meteorol. 35: 2210–2217.
- 1997. Turbulence eddy dissipation rates from radar observations at 5–20 km at White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 102: 19495–19505. ,
- 2003. Shear-flow instability in the stable nocturnal boundary layer as observed by Doppler lidar during CASES-99. J. Atmos. Sci. 60: 16–33. ,
- 1969. Atmospheric structure and radar backscattering in clear air. Radio Sci. 4: 1179–1193.
- 1999. Range imaging using frequency diversity. Radio Sci. 34: 1485–1496. , ,
- 1996. Evolution and breakdown of Kelvin–Helmholtz billows in stratified compressible flows. Part II. Instability structure, evolution, and energetics. J. Atmos. Sci. 53: 3192–3212. , ,
- 2006. Time-dependent mixing in stratified Kelvin–Helmholtz billows: experimental observations. Geophys. Res. Lett. 33: L15608, DOI: 10.1029/2006GL026949. , , ,
- 2002. Airborne observations turbulence, mixing and gravity waves in the tropopause region. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 107: 4084. DOI:10.1029/2001JD000775. , , ,
- 2003. Mixing efficiency in stratified shear flows. Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 35: 135–167. ,
- 1998. Detection of turbulence around jet-streams using a VHF radar, Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 124: 447–462. , ,
- 2004. Cloud radar observations of Kelvin-Helmholtz instability in a Florida anvil. Mon Weather Rev. 132: 2520–2523. ,
- 2001. Seasonal variation of vertical eddy diffusivity in the troposphere, lower stratosphere and mesosphere over a tropical station. Ann. Geophys. 19: 975–984. , , ,
- 1997. Lidar observations of a breaking mountain wave associated with extreme turbulence. Geophys. Res. Lett. 24: 663–666. , ,
- 1973. Fine-scale structure and mixing within an inversion, Bound.-Layer Meteorol. 4: 275–287. , ,
- 1972. A case study of persistent, clear air turbulence in an upper-level frontal zone. J. Appl. Meteorol. 11: 541–549. ,
- 2004. Convective mixing in a tropopause fold. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 130: 1195–1212. ,
- 1969. High-resolution tropospheric radar sounding. Radio Sci. 4: 1251–1268.
- 1979. High-resolution VHF radar sounding of the troposphere and stratosphere. IEEE Trans. Geos. Elec. 17: 182–189. ,
- 2003. Midlatitude cirrus clouds derived from hurricane Nora: a case study with implications for ice crystal nucleation and shape. J. Atmos. Sci. 60: 873–891. , , , , ,
- 1995. The mixing of mass and momentum by Kelvin–Helmholtz billows. J. Atmos. Sci. 52: 2509–2530.
- 1980. Turbulent mixing within tropopause folds as a mechanism for the exchange of chemical constituents between the stratosphere and the troposphere. J. Atmos. Sci. 37: 994–1004.
- 1999. Detection of Kelvin–Helmholtz instability with the Indian mesosphere–stratosphere–troposphere radar: a case study. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. 104: 3937–3945. , , ,
- 2001. Entrainment and mixing in stratified shear flows. J. Fluid Mech. 428: 349–386. ,
- 1993. A Doppler radar observation on wave-like echoes generated in a strong vertical shear. J. Meteorol. Soc. Japan 71: 357–365. , ,
- 1992. Kelvin–Helmholtz billow clouds on a frontal surface. J. Meteorol. Soc. Japan 70: 733–738.
- 1973. Experiments on instability and turbulence in stratified shear flow. J. Fluid Mech. 61: 731–751.
- 2010. A deep-ocean Kelvin–Helmholtz billow train. Geophys. Res. Lett. 37: L03605, DOI: 10.1029/2009GL041890. ,
- 1979. Buoyancy waves in the troposphere: Doppler radar observations and a theoretical model. Geophys. Res. Lett. 6: 429–432. , ,
- 1992. The frontal structure of an explosive oceanic cyclone: airborne radar observations of ERICA IOP 4. Mon. Weather Rev. 120: 1135–1155. , ,
- 1981. Energy dissipation rates of turbulence in the stable free atmosphere. J. Atmos. Sci. 38: 880–883.
- 2005. ‘CAP Phase II simulations for the Air Force HEL-JTO project: atmospheric turbulence simulations on NAVO's 3000-Processor IBM P4+ and ARL's 2000-Processor Intel Xeon EM647 Cluster’. In 15th DoD HPC User Group Conference, 1–22, Nashville, TN. , , , ,
- 2004. Turbulent diffusivity in the free atmosphere inferred from MST radar measurements: a review. Ann. Geophys. 22: 3869–3887.
- 2007. ‘The MPI-Sousy-VHF radar at Jicamarca: high altitude resolution capabilities’. In Proceedings of the 11th International Workshop on Technical and Scientific Aspects of MST Radar, 334–337, Gadanki, India. , , ,
- 1968. Wave-induced shear instability in the summer thermocline. J. Fluid Mech. 32: 791–800.
- 1972. Billow turbulence and ocean micro-structure. Deep Sea Res. 19: 87–121. ,
- 1997. Long-period unstable gravity waves and associated VHF radar echoes. Ann. Geophys. 15: 813–822. ,
- 1988. Estimation error parameters of mesosphere–stratosphere–troposphere radars obtained by least squares fitting method and its lower bound. Radio Sci. 23: 1013–1021. , , , , ,