Observation of the marine atmospheric boundary layer in the Gulf of Guinea during the 2006 boreal spring
Article first published online: 12 MAY 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 137, Issue 657, pages 992–1003, April 2011 Part B
How to Cite
Leduc-Leballeur, M., Eymard, L. and de Coëtlogon, G. (2011), Observation of the marine atmospheric boundary layer in the Gulf of Guinea during the 2006 boreal spring. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 137: 992–1003. doi: 10.1002/qj.808
- Issue published online: 1 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 12 MAY 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 26 NOV 2010
- Manuscript Received: 20 JUN 2010
- 2008. Cross-equatorial structure and temporal modulation of intraseasonal variability at the surface of the Tropical Atlantic Ocean. J. Geophys. Res. 113: C08020, DOI: 10.1029/2007JC004332. ,
- 2007. African Monsoon Multidisciplinary Analysis (AMMA): special measurements in the Tropical Atlantic. CLIVAR Exchanges 12: 7–9. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1984. The response of the marine boundary layer to mesoscale variations in sea-surface temperature. Dynam. Atmos. Oceans 8: 267–281. ,
- 2010. Couplings between the Atlantic cold tongue, the St Helena anticyclone, and the African monsoon in boreal spring and summer. J. Geophys. Res 116: C04003, DOI: 10.1029/2010JC006570. , , , , ,
- 2010. Intraseasonal variability of the ocean–atmosphere coupling in the Gulf of Guinea during boreal spring and summer. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136: (Special Issue Suppl. 1): 426–441. , ,
- 2005. MSG/SEVIRI cloud mask and type from SAFNWC. Int. J. Remote Sens. 26: 4707–4732. ,
- 1993. The Influence of sea surface temperature gradients on stratiform cloudiness along the equatorial front in the Pacific Ocean. J. Clim. 6: 1172–1180. , ,
- 1996. Study of the air–sea interactions at the mesoscale: the SEMAPHORE experiment. Ann. Geophys. 14: 986–1015. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2010. On the use of Advanced Microwave Sounding Unit-A and-B measurements for studying the monsoon variability over West Africa. J. Geophys. Res. 115: D20115, DOI: 10.1029/2009JD012935. , , , ,
- 2011. AMMA information system: an efficient cross-disciplinary tool and a legacy for forthcoming projects. Atmos. Sci. Lett. 12: 149–154. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. The 30–70 day oscillations in the tropical Atlantic. Geophys. Res. Lett. 31: L15205, DOI: 10.1029/2004GL020023. ,
- 1991. Air–sea fluxes and surface layer turbulence around a sea surface temperature front. J. Geophys. Res. 96(C5): 8593–8609. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1987. Forced-oscillations on the equatorial Atlantic basin during the seasonal response of the equatorial Atlantic program (1983–1984). J. Geophys. Res. 92(C5): 5089–5100.
- 2004. Seasonal evolution and variability associated with the West African monsoon system. J. Clim. 17: 3364–3377. ,
- 2009. Deep currents in the Gulf of Guinea: along slope propagation of intraseasonal waves. Ocean Sci. 5(2): 141–153. , ,
- 2002. Direct observations of atmospheric boundary layer response to SST variations associated with tropical instability waves over the eastern Equatorial Pacific. J. Clim. 15: 3379–3393. , , , , , , ,
- 2010. Comparison of C-Band Scatterometer CMOD5. N equivalent neutral winds with ECMWF. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 27(4): 721–736.
- 1987. Wind-driven meridional eddy heat-flux in the Gulf of Guinea. J. Geophys. Res. 92(C10): 10777–10786. ,
- 2001. Global precipitation at one-degree daily resolution from multisatellite observations. J. Hydrometeor 2: 36–50. , , , , , , ,
- 2008. Large-scale overview of the summer monsoon over West Africa during the AMMA field experiment in 2006. Ann. Geophys. 26: 2569–2595. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , Acmad Forecasters Team.
- 2009. Dynamics of the West African Monsoon. Part IV. Analysis of 25–90-day variability of convection and the role of the Indian Monsoon. J. Clim. 22: 1541–1565. , , , , ,
- 2009. Seasonal variability of the Equatorial Undercurrent at 10°W as inferred from recent in situ observations. J. Geophys. Res. 114: C06014, DOI: 10.1029/2008JC004976. , , , ,
- 1998. Structure of the marine atmospheric boundary layer over an oceanic thermal front: SEMAPHORE experiment. J. Geophys. Res. 103(C11): 25159–25180. , , , , , ,
- 2000. Atmospheric manifestation of tropical instability wave observed by QuikSCAT and Tropical Rain Measuring Mission. Geophys. Res. Lett. 27: 2545–2548. , , , ,
- 2009. Why were sea surface temperatures so different in the eastern Equatorial Atlantic in June 2005 and 2006? J. Phys. Oceanogr. 39: 1416–1431. , , , , ,
- 2004. Intraseasonal variability over tropical Africa during northern summer. J. Clim. 17: 2427–2440.
- 1980. Annual signal and interannual anomalies of sea surface temperature in the Eastern Equatorial Atlantic ocean. Deep-Sea Res. 26: 77–102. , ,
- 2004. Evidence of two independent modes of convection at intraseasonal timescale in the West African summer monsoon. Geophys. Res. Lett. 31: L16116, DOI: 10.1029/2004GL020665. ,
- 2008. The west African monsoon dynamics. Part III. The quasi-biweekly zonal dipole. J. Clim. 21: 1911–1928. , ,
- 2004. Interaction of the Atlantic equatorial cold tongue and the African monsoon. J. Clim. 17: 3589–3602. ,
- 2005. Validation of ECMWF global forecast model parameters using GLAS atmospheric channel measurements. Geophys. Res. Lett. 32: L33S09, DOI: 10.1029/2005GL023535. , ,
- 1983. Propagation of the seasonal upwelling in the eastern equatorial Atlantic. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 13: 18–37.
- 1983. Summary of the JASIN 1978 Field experiment. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A 308: 221–230. , ,
- 2005. Evolution of marine atmospheric boundary layer structure across the Cold Tongue–ITCZ complex. J. Clim. 18: 737–753. , , , , , ,
- 2006. African monsoon multidisciplinary analysis—An international research project and field campaign. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 87: 1739–1746. , , , , ,
- 1989. The marine boundary layer in the vicinity of an ocean front. J. Atmos. Sci. 46: 2044–2062.
- 2008. Air sea interaction over ocean fronts and eddies. Dyn. Atm. Oceans 45: 274–319. , , , , , , , ,
- 1985. The frontal air–sea interaction experiment (FASINEX). 1. Background and scientific objectives. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 66: 1511–1520. ,
- 2003. The West African monsoon dynamics. Part II. The ‘preonset’ and ‘onset’ of the summer monsoon. J. Clim. 16: 3407–3427. ,
- 2003. The West African monsoon dynamics. Part I. Documentation of intraseasonal variability. J. Clim. 16: 3389–3406. , ,
- 1981. Air–sea interaction effects in the lower troposphere across the north wall of the Gulf Stream. Mon. Weather Rev. 109: 1042–1052. , , ,
- 2011. Annual cycle of the West African monsoon: regional circulations and associated water vapor transport. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 137: 129–147. , , ,
- 2001. Mechanisms by which Gulf of Guinea and eastern North Atlantic sea surface temperature anomalies can influence African rainfall. J. Clim. 14: 795–821. ,
- 2002. Development and application of a mesoscale climate model for the tropics: influence of sea surface temperature anomalies on the West African monsoon. J. Geophys. Res. 107: 4023, DOI: 10.1029/2001JD000686. ,
- 2010. A one-dimensional modeling study of the diurnal cycle in the equatorial Atlantic at the PIRATA buoys during the EGEE-3 campaign. Ocean Dynamics 61: 1–20. , , , , ,
- 1989. The influence of sea-surface temperature on surface wind in the eastern equatorial Pacific: seasonal and interannual variability. J. Clim. 2: 1492–1499. , ,
- 1989. Mean and turbulent structure of a baroclinic marine boundary layer during the 28 January 1986 cold-air outbreak (GALE-86). Bound. Layer Meteor. 48: 227–254. ,
- 1997. A well-calibrated ocean algorithm for special sensor microwave/imager. J. Geophys. Res. 102(C4): 8703–8718.
- 2000. Satellite measurements of sea surface temperature through clouds. Science 288: 847–850. , , ,
- 2004. Satellite observations of cool ocean–atmosphere interaction. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 85: 195–208.