The contribution of these authors was written in the course of their employment at the Met Office, UK, and is published with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland.
Anatomy of an observed African easterly wave in July 2006
Article first published online: 18 APR 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society and British Crown Copyright, the Met Office
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 137, Issue 657, pages 923–933, April 2011 Part B
How to Cite
Bain, C. L., Parker, D. J., Dixon, N., Fink, A. H., Taylor, C. M., Brooks, B. and Milton, S. F. (2011), Anatomy of an observed African easterly wave in July 2006. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 137: 923–933. doi: 10.1002/qj.812
- Issue published online: 1 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 18 APR 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 21 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUN 2010
- NERC. Grant Number: NE/B505538/1
- 2010a. Impact of assimilating AMMA soundings on ECMWF analyses and forecasts. Weather Forecasting 25: 1142–1160. , , , ,
- 2010b. The ECMWF re-analysis for the AMMA observational campaign. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136: 1457–1472. , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Evaluation of the Met Office global forecast model using geostationary Earth Radiation Budget (GERB) data. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 133: 1993–2010. , , ,
- 1992. Atlantic tropical systems of 1991. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 1993–2010. ,
- 2010. Observations of the nocturnal boundary layer associated with the West African monsoon. Mon. Weather Rev. 138: 3142–3156. , , , ,
- 2010. Muli-scale analysis of the 25–27 July 2006 convective period over Niamey: Comparison between Dopper radar observations and simulations. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136: 190–208. , , , , ,
- 2005. Case study of an intense African easterly wave. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 752–766. ,
- 2000. The role of synoptic-scale flow during tropical cyclogenesis over the North Atlantic Ocean. Mon. Weather Rev. 128: 353–376. ,
- 1972. The origin and structure of easterly waves in the lower troposphere of North Africa. J. Atmos. Sci. 29: 77–90.
- 1974. Characteristics of North African easterly waves during the summers of 1968 and 1969. J. Atmos. Sci. 31: 1556–1570.
- 1999. Generation of the African easterly jet and its role in determining West African precipitation. Part 1 J. Climate 12: 1165–1184.
- 2009. The impact of moist processes on the African easterly jet–African easterly wave system. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 894–913. , ,
- 2009. Northward burst of the West African monsoon leading to rainfall over the Hoggar Massif, Algeria. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 34–42. , , , ,
- 2009. The impact of the AMMA radiosonde data on the French global assimilation and forecast system. Weather Forecasting 24: 1268–1286. , , , , , , , ,
- 1997. Barotropic aspects of ITCZ breakdown. J. Atmos. Sci. 54: 261–285. ,
- 2003. Spatio-temporal variability of the relation between African easterly waves and West African squall lines in 1998 and 1999. J. Geophys. Res. 108: 4332, DOI: 10.1029/2002JD002816. ,
- 1969. The ‘inverted-v’ cloud pattern—An easterly wave? Mon. Weather Rev. 97: 130–140.
- 2008. Evaluation of AMSR-E soil moisture product based on ground soil moisture measurements over temperate and semi-arid regions. Geophys. Res. Lett. 35: L10405. DOI: 10.1029/2008GL033330. , , , , , .
- 2006. Three-dimensional structure and dynamics of African easterly waves. Part II: Dynamical modes. J. Atmos. Sci. 63: 2231–2245. , ,
- 2010. Analysis of African easterly wave structures and their role in influencing tropical cyclogenesis. Mon. Weather Rev. 138: 1399–1419. , ,
- 2008. Large-scale overview of the summer monsoon over West and Central Africa during the AMMA field experiment in 2006. Annales Geophys. 26: 2569–2595. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Three-dimensional structure and dynamics of African easterly waves. Part I: Observations. J. Atmos. Sci. 63: 2231–2245. , ,
- 1976. GATE: Report on the field phase. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 41: 11–27. ,
- 1992. The strong association between Western Sahelian monsoon rainfall and intense Atlantic hurricanes. J. Climate 5: 435–453. ,
- 2002. Norwegian-type and cold front aloft-type cyclones east of the Rocky Mountains. Weather Forecasting 17: 66–82. , , ,
- 2006. The physical properties of the atmosphere in the new Hadley Centre Global Environmental model, HadGEM1. Part I: Model description and global climatology. J. Climate 19: 1274–1301. , , , , ,
- 2000. Retrieval of soil moisture from AMSR data. In Microwave Radiometry and Remote Sensing of Earth's Surface and Atmosphere. Pampaloni, Paloscia (eds.) 233–525. , , ,
- 1999. Passage of a tracer through frontal zones: A model for the formation of forward-sloping cold fronts. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 124: 1785–1800.
- 2005a. Analysis of the African easterly jet, using aircraft observations from the JET2000 experiment. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 1461–1482. , , ,
- 2008. The AMMA radiosonde program and its implications for the future of atmospheric monitoring over Africa. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 89: 1015–1027. , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1999. The low-level structure of African Easterly Waves in 1995. Mon. Weather Rev. 127: 2266–2280. ,
- 2002. Multi-scale desciption of a Sahelain synoptic weather system representative of the West African monsoon. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 128: 1229–1257. , , , , , ,
- 2006. African Monsoon Multidisciplinary Analysis—An international research project and field campaign. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 87: 1739–1746. , , , , ,
- 1977. The structure and properties of African wave disturbances as observed during phase III of GATE. Mon. Weather Rev. 105: 317–333. , ,
- 2003. The West African monsoon dynamics. Part II: The ‘preset’ and ‘onset’ of the summer monsoon. J. Climate 16: 3407–3427. ,
- 2005. Observations of synoptic-scale land surface variability and its coupling with the atmosphere. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 913–937. , , ,
- 2001. African easterly wave variability and its relationship to Atlantic tropical cyclone activity. J. Climate 14: 1166–1179. ,
- 1994. An idealized study of African easterly waves. I: A linear view. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 120: 953–982. ,
- 2003. The Jet 2000 project: Aircraft observations of the African easterly jet and African easterly waves. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 84: 337–351. , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2007. ‘Overview of African weather systems during the summer 2006’. CLIVAR Exchanges 122 18–20. , , , , , ,
- 2008. Three-dimensional structure and dynamics of African easterly waves. Part III: Genesis. J. Atmos. Sci. 65: 3596–3607. , ,
- 2004. The African easterly jet in the ECMWF integrated forecast system: 4D-Var analysis. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 2861–2885. , , ,
- 2010. Observations of seven African easterly waves in the East Atlantic during 2006. J. Atmos. Sci. 67: 26–43. ,