Maintenance mechanisms for the early-morning maximum summer rainfall over southeast China
Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 137, Issue 657, pages 959–968, April 2011 Part B
How to Cite
Huang, W.-R. and Chan, J. C. L. (2011), Maintenance mechanisms for the early-morning maximum summer rainfall over southeast China. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 137: 959–968. doi: 10.1002/qj.815
- Issue online: 1 JUN 2011
- Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 3 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 2 JUN 2010
- 1998. Diurnal variability of cloudiness over East Asia and the Western Pacific Ocean as revealed by GMS during the warm season. J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn 76: 675–684. , ,
- 1993. Morning showers over Hong Kong during summer. Bull. Hong Kong Meteorol. Soc. 3: 14–25. ,
- 2009. Diurnal variation of precipitation over southeastern China: spatial distribution and its seasonality. J. Geophys. Res. 114: D13103, DOI: 10.1029/2008JD011103. , ,
- 2010. Why nocturnal long-duration rainfall presents an eastward delayed diurnal phase along the Yangtze River. J. Climate 23: 905–917. , , , ,
- 2005. Variation of the Asian monsoon water vapor budget: interaction with the global-scale modes. In Asian Monsoon, (ed.) 417–458. Springer: Berlin.
- 1999. Diurnal and seasonal variations of the rainfall measured by the automatic rainfall and meteorological telemetry system in Taiwan. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 80: 2299–2312. , , ,
- 2001. Global precipitation and thunderstorm frequencies. Part II: Diurnal variations. J. Climate 14: 1112–1128.
- 1999. Diurnal and semidiurnal variations in global surface wind and divergence fields. J. Geophys. Res. 104: 31109–31125. ,
- 1998. Diurnal and semidiurnal variations of the surface wind field over the tropical Pacific Ocean. J. Climate 11: 1730–1748. ,
- 2004. Seasonal march of the East-Asian summer monsoon. In East Asian Monsoon. World Scientific Series on Meteorology of East Asia, Vol. 2, (ed.) 3–53. World Scientific Publishing: Singapore.
- 1977. Diurnal variation of deep cumulus convection, Mon. Weather Rev. 105: 1171–1188. ,
- 1997a. The TRMM ‘Day-1’ radar/radiometer combined rain-profiling algorithm. J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn 75: 799–809. , , , , , , ,
- 1997b. A new parametrization of the rain drop size distribution. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens. 35: 532–539. , , , , , ,
- 1980. The geographical distribution of the solar semidiurnal surface pressure oscillation. J. Geophys. Res. 85: 1945–1949.
- 1992. An Introduction to Dynamic Meteorology. Academic Press: New York.
- 2005. Improved representation of diurnal variability of rainfall retrieved from the Tropical Rainfall Measurement Mission Microwave Imager adjusted Precipitation estimation from Remotely Sensed Information Using Artificial Neural Networks (PERSIANN) system. J. Geophys. Res. 110: D06102, DOI: 10.1029/2004JD005301. , , ,
- 2010. A planetary-scale land-sea breeze circulation in East Asia and the western North Pacific. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136: 1543–1553. , ,
- 2008. Diurnal precipitation regimes in the global tropics. J. Climate 21: 2680–2696. ,
- 1998. Anomalous atmospheric hydrologic processes associated with ENSO: mechanisms of hydrologic cycle–radiation interaction. J. Climate 11: 800–815. , ,
- 2008. Seasonal variation of the diurnal cycle of rainfall in southern contiguous China. J. Climate 21: 6036–6043. , ,
- 1952. Hong Kong Meteorological Records and Climatological Notes, Technical Notes Memoir No. 5. Royal Observatory, Hong Kong.
- 1952. Diurnal variation of summer rainfall over east China, Korea and Japan. J. Atmos. Sci. 9: 83–86.
- 2008. The GEOS-5 Data Assimilation System: Documentation of Versions 5.0.1, 5.1.0, and 5.2.0. Technical Report Series on Global Modeling and Data Assimilation, 27. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1996. On the Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM). Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 60: 19–36. , , ,
- 1996. Interaction of secondary circulations with the summer monsoon and diurnal rainfall over Hong Kong. Bound. Layer Meteorol. 81: 123–146. , ,
- 1969. Diurnal wind variations, surface to 30 kilometers. Mon. Weather Rev. 97: 446–455. ,
- 2004. A climatology of warmseason cloud patterns over east Asia based on GMS infrared brightness temperature observations. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 1606–1629. , ,
- 1983. Seasonal distributions of diabatic heating during the First GARP Global Experiment. Tellus 35A: 241–255. , ,
- 2006. Mechanisms for diurnal variability of global tropical rainfall observed from TRMM. J. Climate 19: 5190–5226. ,
- 2009. Diurnal variations of precipitation during the warm season over China. Int. J. Climatol. 29: 1154–1170. , ,
- 2007a. Diurnal variations of summer precipitation over contiguous China. Geophys. Res. Lett. 34: L01704, DOI: 10.1029/2006GL028129. , , , ,
- 2007b. Relation between rainfall duration and diurnal variation in the warm season precipitation over central eastern China. Geophys. Res. Lett. 34: L13703, DOI: 10.1029/2007GL030315. , , ,
- 2009. Diurnal variation of surface wind over central eastern China. Clim. Dyn. 33: 1089–1097. , ,
- 2005. Intraseasonal oscillations and the South China Sea summer monsoon onset. Int. J. Climatol. 25: 1585–1609. ,
- 2005. Characteristics of diurnal variations of precipitation in China for the recent years. CLIVAR Exchanges, No. 3, 24–26. International CLIVAR Project Office, Southampton, UK. , ,
- 2008. Summer precipitation frequency, intensity, and diurnal cycle over China: a comparison of satellite data with rain gauge observations. J. Climate 21: 3997–4010. , , , ,