The contribution of H. W. Barker to this article was prepared as part of his official duties as a Canadian government employee
A 3D cloud-construction algorithm for the EarthCARE satellite mission
Article first published online: 12 MAY 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society and Crown in the right of Canada
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 137, Issue 657, pages 1042–1058, April 2011 Part B
How to Cite
Barker, H. W., Jerg, M. P., Wehr, T., Kato, S., Donovan, D. P. and Hogan, R. J. (2011), A 3D cloud-construction algorithm for the EarthCARE satellite mission. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 137: 1042–1058. doi: 10.1002/qj.824
- Issue published online: 1 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 12 MAY 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 22 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Received: 13 OCT 2010
- 1995. Inferring optical depth of broken, shallow clouds from Landsat imagery. J. Climate 8: 2620–2630. ,
- 2003. Assessing 1D atmospheric solar radiative transfer models: Interpretation and handling of unresolved clouds, J. Climate 16: 2676–2699. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2005. ‘Documentation and validation of the GoddardEarth Observing System (GEOS) data assimilation system version-4’, NASA Technical Report Series on Global Modeling and Data Assimilation NASA/TM-2005-104606, Vol 181, 26pp. , et al.
- 1992. Interpretation of seasonal cloud–climate interactions using Earth radiation budget experiment data. J. Geophys. Res. Atmos. 97(D7): 7613–7617. , , , , ,
- 2004. Photon propagation in heterogeneous optical media with spatial correlations: Enhanced mean-free-paths and wider-than-exponential free-path distributions. J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer 84: 3–34. ,
- 1997. The Landsat scale break in stratocumulus as a three-dimensional radiative transfer effect: Implications for cloud remote sensing. J. Atmos. Sci. 54: 241–260. , , ,
- 2010. Combined CloudSat–CALIPSO-MODIS retrievals of the properties of ice clouds. J. Geophys. Res. 115: D00H29. DOI:10.1029/2009JD012346. ,
- 1999. Two and four stream optical properties for water clouds at solar wavelengths. J. Geophys. Res. 104: 2067–2079. , ,
- 2008. ‘ECSIM Model and AlgorithmsDocument’, Technical Report ECSIM-KNMI-TEC-MAD01-R. KNMI: De Bilt, Netherlands. , , ,
- ESA. 2001. ‘The Five Candidate Earth Explorer Missions:EarthCARE—Earth Clouds, Aerosols and Radiation Explorer’, ESA SP-1257(1), September 2001, 130 pp. Prepared by J. P. V. Poiares Baptista.
- 1996. An accurate parameterization of the solar radiative properties of cirrus clouds for climate models. J. Climate 9: 2058–2082.
- 1998. An accurate parameterization of the infrared radiative properties of cirrus clouds for climate models. J. Climate 11: 2223–2237. , ,
- 2008. Statistical approaches to plane-parallel error identification and retrievals of optical and microphysical properties in 3D clouds Part 1: Bayesian inference. J. Geophys. Res. 114: D06207. DOI:10.1029/2008JD011005. , , , ,
- 2005. Computation of domain-averaged irradiance using satellite-derived cloud properties. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 22: 146–164. , ,
- 2010. Relationships among cloud occurrence frequency, overlap, and effective thickness derived from CALIPSO and CloudSat merged cloud vertical profiles. J. Geophys. Res. 115: D00H28. DOI:10.1029/2009JD012277. , , , , , ,
- 2007. CloudSat project: Level 2 fluxes and heating rates product process description and interface control document. Available at http://cloudsat.cira.colostate.edu/ICD/2B-FLXHR/2B-FLXHR_PDICD_5.1.pdf.
- 2002. Accounting for unresolved clouds in a 1D infrared radiative transfer code. Part I: Solution for radiative transfer, including cloud scattering and overlap. J. Atmos. Sci. 59: 3302–3320.
- 2000. Parameterization of the optical properties for water clouds in the infrared. J. Climate 13: 1797–1805. ,
- 2005. Angular distribution models for top-of-atmosphere radiative flux estimation from the Clouds and the Earth's Radiant Energy System instrument on the Terra satellite. Part I: Methodology. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 22: 338–351. , , ,
- 2006. Angular distribution models for top-of-atmosphere radiative flux estimation from the Clouds and the Earth's Radiant Energy System Instrument on the Terra satellite. Part II: Validation. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 24: 564–584. , , ,
- 2005a. 3D Radiative Transfer in Cloudy Atmospheres. Springer: Heidelberg; 686 pp. ,
- 2005b. ‘Scale-by-scale analysis and fractal cloud models'. In 3D Radiative Transfer in Cloudy Atmospheres, , (eds). Springer: Heidelberg; 686 pp. ,
- 2008. Cloud detection in non-polar regions for CERES using TRMM VIRS and Terra and Aqua MODIS data. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing. 46: 3857–3884. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2010a. CERES Edition-2 cloud property retrievals using TRMM VIRS and Terra and Aqua MODIS data, Part I: Algorithms. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing. In Press. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2010b. CERES Edition-2 cloud property retrievals using TRMM VIRS and Terra and Aqua MODIS data, Part II: Examples of average results and comparisons with other data. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing. In Press. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1975. Statistical Fluid Mechanics, Volume 2. MIT Press: Boston, MA. ,
- 1985. A climatology of atmospheric wavenumber spectra of wind and temperature observed by commercial aircraft. J. Atmos. Sci. 43: 950–960. ,
- 2010. The Continual Intercomparison of Radiation Codes (CIRC): Assessing anew the quality of GCM radiation algorithms. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 91: 305–310. ,
- 1987. The role of Earth radiation budget studies in climate and general circulation research. J. Geophys. Res. Atmos. 92: 4075–4095.
- 1999. Advances in understanding clouds from ISCCP. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 11: 2261–2287. ,
- 2009. Development and assessment of broadband surface albedo from Clouds and the Earth's Radiant Energy System Clouds and radiation swath data product. J. Geophys. Res. 114: D08125. DOI:10.1029/2008JD010669. , , , , ,
- 2008. Classifying clouds around the globe with the CloudSat radar: 1-year of results. Geophys. Res. Lett. 35: DOI:10.1029/2007GL032591. ,
- 2008. The CCCma third generation AGCM and its extension into the middle atmosphere. Atmos. Chem. Phys. 8: 7055–7074. , , ,
- 1991. Statistical radiative transfer in one-dimensional media and its application to the terrestrial atmosphere. Trans. Theory Stat. Phys. 20: 139–175. , ,
- 2002. The CloudSat mission and the EPS constellation: A new dimension of space-based observations of clouds and precipitation. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 83: 1771–1790. , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1996. Mission to Planet Earth: Role of clouds and radiation in climate. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 77: 853–868. , , , , ,
- 2007. Initial performance assessment of CALIOP. Geophys. Res. Lett. 34: DOI:10.1029/2007GL030135. , ,
- World Climate Research Programme (WCRP). 1994. Report of International Workshop In: Cloud–radiation interactions and their parameterization in climate models. 18–20 Oct 1993, WCRP-86, WMO/TD-No. 648. 147 pp. WCRP, Camp Springs, MD.