The contribution of these authors was written in the course of their employment at the Met Office, UK, and is published with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland.
A robust numerical method for the potential vorticity based control variable transform in variational data assimilation
Article first published online: 24 MAY 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society and British Crown Copyright, the Met Office
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 137, Issue 657, pages 1083–1094, April 2011 Part B
How to Cite
Buckeridge, S., Cullen, M.J.P., Scheichl, R. and Wlasak, M. (2011), A robust numerical method for the potential vorticity based control variable transform in variational data assimilation. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 137: 1083–1094. doi: 10.1002/qj.826
- Issue published online: 1 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 24 MAY 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 16 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Received: 24 DEC 2010
- 1996. Vertical differencing of the primitive equations based on the Charney-Phillips grid in hybrid σ-p vertical coordinates. Monthly Weather Review 124: 511–528. ,
- 1977. Computational design of the basic dynamical processes of the UCLA general circulation model. Methods in Comp. Phys. 17: 173–265. ,
- 2008. A review of forecast error covariance statistics in atmospheric variational data assimilation II: Modelling the forecast error covariance statistics. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc 134 1971–1996.
- 2007. A regime-dependant balanced control variable based on potential vorticity. Proceedings of the ECMWF workshop on flow-dependent aspects of data assimilation, 11–13 June 2007. ECMWF, Reading, UK. ,
- 2009. New PV-based Control Variables for Met Office VAR. DARC Technical Report Version 7. Data Assimilation Research Centre, University of Reading. ,
- 2007. Modelling of forecast errors in geophysical fluid flows. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fluids. 56: 1147–1153. , , , ,
- 1991. Multigrid methods for two-and three-dimensional Poisson-type equations on the sphere. Journal of Computational Physics. 92: 313–348.
- 1962. Alternating direction implicit methods. Advances in Computers. 3: 189–273. , ,
- 2001. Analysis of tensor product multigrid. Numerical Algorithms. 26: 219–234. ,
- 2000. A Multigrid Tutorial. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. ,
- 2010. Numerical solution of weather and climate systems: Elliptic solvers. PhD Thesis. University of Bath. Available at http://people.bath.ac.uk/masrs/publications.html.
- 2010. Parallel geometric multigrid for global weather predictions. Numer. Linear Algebra Appl. 17: 325–342. ,
- 1978. The Finite Element Method for Elliptic Problems. North-Holland.
- 2003. Four-dimensional variational data assimilation: A new formulation of the background-error covariance matrix, based on a potential-vorticity representation. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 129: 2777–2796.
- 2005. A new dynamical core for the Met Office's global and regional modelling of the atmosphere. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 1759–1782. , , , , , ,
- 1983. Variational Iterative Methods for Nonsymmetric Systems of Linear Equations. SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis. 20: 345–357. , ,
- 2003. Background error covariance modelling. ECMWF Seminar on Recent Developments in Data Assimilation for Atmosphere and Ocean, 8-12 Sept 2003, Reading, UK, pp. 45–64.
- 1985. Multi-Grid Methods and Applications. Springer.
- 1985. On the use and significance of isentropic potential vorticity maps. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 111: 877–946. , ,
- 2001. The statistical structure of forecast errors and its representation in the Met. Office global 3-D variational data assimilation scheme. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 127: 209–232.
- 2011. Correlations of control varialbes in variational data assimilation. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 137: 620–630. , , , ,
- 1986. Analysis methods for numerical weather prediction. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 112: 1177–1194.
- 2007. The Met Office global four-dimensional variational data assimilation scheme. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 133 347–362. , , , , , , ,
- 2003. Iterative Methods for Sparse Linear Systems. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
- 2001. Multigrid. Academic Press. , ,
- 1992. Bi-CGSTAB: A fast and smoothly converging variant of Bi-CG for the solution of nonsymmetric systems. SIAM J. Sci. Statist. Comput. 13: 631–644.
- 2005. Consistent approximate models of the global atmosphere: shallow, deep, hydrostatic, quasi-hydrostatic and non-hydrostatic. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 2081–2108. , , ,
- 2006. Use of potential vorticity for incremental data assimilation. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 132 2867–2886. , ,