The assessment of the equatorial counterpart of the quasi-geostrophic model
Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Geostationary Earth Radiation Budget Intercomparison of Longwave and Shortwave radiation (GERBILS)
Volume 137, Issue 658, pages 1327–1339, July 2011 Part A
How to Cite
Mohebalhojeh, A. R. and Theiss, J. (2011), The assessment of the equatorial counterpart of the quasi-geostrophic model. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 137: 1327–1339. doi: 10.1002/qj.835
- Issue online: 25 JUL 2011
- Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 APR 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 29 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Received: 24 DEC 2010
- 1972. Frequency filter for time integrations. Mon. Wea. Rev. 100: 487–490.
- 1977. Adjustment of initial conditions required to suppress gravity ascillations in nonlinear initialization. Beitr. Phys. Atmos. 50: 350–366.
- 1977. On complete filtering of gravity modes through nonlinear initialization. Mon. Wea. Rev. 105: 1536–1539. ,
- 1995. A global shallow-water numerical model based on the semi-Lagrangian advection of the potential vorticity. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 121: 1981–2005. , , , ,
- 1997. On Doppler-spreading models of internal waves. Geophys. Res. Lett. 24: 2813–2816. , , ,
- 1980. Initialization of the primitive equations by the bounded derivative method. J. Atmos. Sci. 37: 1424–1436. , ,
- 1992a. A harmonic-sine series expansion and its application to partitioning and reconstruction problems in a limited area. Mon. Wea. Rev. 120: 91–112. ,
- 1992b. A consistency condition for wind-field reconstruction in a limited area and a harmonic-cosine series expansion. Mon. Wea. Rev. 120: 2653–2670. ,
- 1989. Contour dynamics and contour surgery: Numerical algorithms for extended, high-resolution modelling of the vortex dynamics in two-dimensional, invisid, incompressible flows. Comp. Phys. Rep. 10: 77–146.
- 1997. A contour-advective semi-Lagrangian algorithm for the simulation of fine-scale conservative fields. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 123: 1097–1130. ,
- 1999. The contour-advective semi-Lagrangian algorithm for the shallow water equations. Mon. Wea. Rev. 127: 1551–1565. , ,
- 2000. Balance and the slow quasimanifold: Some explicit results. J. Atmos. Sci. 57: 1236–1254. , ,
- 2004. An initial-value problem for testing numerical models of the global shallow water equations. TELLUS 56A(5): 429–440. , ,
- 1969. Primitive equations. In: Lectures in numerical short-range weather prediction, WMO No. 297. Moscow, pp. 306–375.
- 1980. Nonlinear normal mode initialization and quasi-geostrophic theory. J. Atmos. Sci. 37: 958–968.
- 1989. The slow equations. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 115: 201–219.
- 1977. On the dynamics of gravity oscillations in a shallow water model, with application to normal mode initialization. Beitr. Phys. Atmos. 50: 253–271.
- 1966. Quasi-geostrophic motions in the equatorial area. J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn. 44: 25–42.
- 2000. Potential vorticity inversion on a hemisphere. J. Atmos. Sci. 57: 1214–1235. ,
- 2000. On the representation of gravity waves in numerical models of the shallow water equations. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 126: 669–688. ,
- 2001. Hierarchies of balance conditions for the f-plane shallow water equations. J. Atmos. Sci. 58(16): 2411–2426. ,
- 2004. Contour-advective semi-lagrangian algorithms for many-layer primitive equation models. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 130: 347–364. ,
- 2009. The diabatic Contour-Advective Semi-Lagrangian algorithms for the spherical shallow water equations. Mon. Wea. Rev. 137: 2979–2994. ,
- 2007a. Local mass conservation and velocity splitting in PV-based balanced models. Part I: The hyperbalance equations. J. Atmos. Sci. 64: 1782–1793. ,
- 2007b. Local mass conservation and velocity splitting in PV-based balanced models. Part II: Numerical results. J. Atmos. Sci. 64: 1794–1810. ,
- 1966. The integration of a low order spectral form of the primitive meteorological equations. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan 44: 237–245.
- 1998. Lectures on geophysical fluid dynamics. Oxford University Press: New York.
- 1987. An efficient two-time-level semi-Lagrangian semi-implicit integrating scheme. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 113: 1025–1040. ,
- 2009. The equatorial counterpart of the quasi-geostrophic model. J. Fluid Mech. 637: 327–356. ,