Radar characteristics of continental, coastal, and maritime convection observed during AMMA/NAMMA
Version of Record online: 8 JUN 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Geostationary Earth Radiation Budget Intercomparison of Longwave and Shortwave radiation (GERBILS)
Volume 137, Issue 658, pages 1241–1256, July 2011 Part A
How to Cite
Guy, N., Rutledge, S. A. and Cifelli, R. (2011), Radar characteristics of continental, coastal, and maritime convection observed during AMMA/NAMMA. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 137: 1241–1256. doi: 10.1002/qj.839
- Issue online: 25 JUL 2011
- Version of Record online: 8 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 APR 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 5 APR 2011
- Manuscript Received: 24 JAN 2011
- 2009. Radiosonde humidity bias correction over the West African region for the special AMMA reanalysis at ECMWF. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 595–617. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2001. The use of TRMM precipitation radar observations in determining ground radar calibration biases. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 18: 616–628. , ,
- 1976. Some climatological aspects of West African disturbance lines during GATE. Mon. Weather Rev. 104: 1029–1035. , ,
- 2010. Multi-scale analysis of the 25–27 July 2006 convective period over Niamey: comparison between Doppler radar observations and simulations. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136(S1): 190–208. , , , , ,
- 2009. ‘African easterly waves and convection’. PhD dissertation, Department of Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences, University at Albany, New York.
- 2007. African easterly waves during 2004: analysis using objective techniques. Mon. Weather Rev. 135: 1251–1267. , ,
- 1985. Formation of mesoscale lines of precipitation: severe squall lines in Oklahoma during the Spring. J. Atmos. Sci. 42: 1711–1732. ,
- 1984. Generation and propagation of African squall lines. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 110: 695–721.
- 2006. NASA's Modern Era Retrospective-Analysis for Research and Applications (MERRA). US CLIVAR Variations 4(2): 5–8. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1968. The determination of kinematic properties of a wind field using Doppler radar. J. Appl. Meteorol. 7: 105–113. ,
- 1997. The estimation of rainfall in the Sahelian squall line by the area-threshold method. Atmos. Res. 43: 207–216. ,
- 1972. The origin and structure of easterly waves in the lower troposphere of North Africa. J. Atmos. Sci. 29: 77–90.
- 1974. Characteristics of North African easterly waves during the summers of 1968 and 1969. J. Atmos. Sci. 31: 1556–1570.
- 1969a. Some remarks on African disturbances and their progress over the tropical Atlantic. Mon. Weather Rev. 97(10): 716–726.
- 1969b. Synoptic histories of three African disturbances that developed into Atlantic hurricanes. Mon. Weather Rev. 97: 256–276.
- 2009. The 11 August 2006 squall-line system as observed from MIT Doppler radar during the AMMA SOP. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136(S1): 209–226.
- 1987. A tropical squall line observed during the COPT 81 experiment in West Africa. Part 1. Kinematic structure inferred from dual-Doppler radar data. Mon. Weather Rev. 115: 670–694. , , ,
- 2007. Radar characteristics of precipitation features in the EPIC and TEPPS regions of the East Pacific. Mon. Weather Rev. 135: 1576–1595. , , , ,
- 2010. Characteristics of an African easterly wave observed during NAMMA. J. Atmos. Sci. 67: 3–25. , , , , , ,
- 2006. Effects of upper-level shear on the structure and maintenance of strong quasi-linear mesoscale convective systems. J. Atmos. Sci. 63: 1231–1252. , ,
- 1998. On the characteristics of the rainfall events in the Sahel with a view to the analysis of climatic variability. Int. J. Climatol. 18: 955–974. ,
- 2010. Attributes of mesoscale convective systems at the land–ocean transition in Senegal during NASA African Monsoon Multidisciplinary Analyses 2006. J. Geophys. Res. 115: D10213, DOI: 201010.1029/2009JD012518. , , , , , ,
- 1998. The vertical structure of TOGA COARE convection. Part I. Radar echo distributions. J. Atmos. Sci. 55: 2730–2747. ,
- 1999. Easterly wave regimes and associated convection over West Africa and tropical Atlantic: results from the NCEP/NCAR and ECMWF reanalyses. Climate Dyn. 15: 795–822. , , , ,
- 1990. Convection over tropical Africa and the Atlantic Ocean during northern summer. Part II. Modulation by Easterly Waves. Mon. Weather Rev. 118: 1855–1868.
- 1957. A synoptic study of West African disturbance lines. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 84: 468–469.
- 2003. Spatiotemporal variability of the relation between African easterly waves and West African squall lines in 1998 and 1999. J. Geophys. Res. 108: 4332, DOI: 200310.1029/2002JD002816. ,
- 2006. Rainfall types in the West African Sudanian Zone during the Summer Monsoon 2002. Mon. Weather Rev. 134: 2143–2164. , ,
- 1980. Properties of African squall lines inferred from time-lapse satellite imagery. Mon. Weather Rev. 108: 153–168.
- 2008. Vertical attributes of precipitation systems in West Africa and adjacent Atlantic Ocean. Theor. Appl. Climatol. 92: 181–193. , , , ,
- 1982. Mesoscale air motions associated with a tropical squall line. Mon. Weather Rev. 110: 118–135. ,
- 2005. Regional and diurnal variability of the vertical structure of precipitation systems in Africa based on spaceborne radar data. J. Climate 18: 893–916. ,
- 2004. African easterly waves and their association with precipitation. J. Geophys. Res. 109: D04101, DOI: 200410.1029/2003JD003967. , , ,
- 1945. Meteorology of Nigeria and adjacent territory. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 71: 231–264. , ,
- 1991. Climate Dynamics of the Tropics. Kluwer: Norwell, MA.
- 1997. Distribution and statistics of African mesoscale convective weather systems based on the ISCCP Meteosat imagery. Mon. Weather Rev. 125: 2821–2837. ,
- 2009. Baroclinicity influences on storm divergence and stratiform rain: subtropical upper-level disturbances. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 1338–1357. ,
- 1977. Radar characteristics of tropical convection observed during GATE: mean properties and trends over the summer season. Mon. Weather Rev. 105: 964–980. ,
- 1989. Interpretation of Doppler weather radar displays of midlatitude mesoscale convective systems. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 70: 608–619. , , ,
- 2005. A study of the energetics of African easterly waves using a regional climate model. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 1311–1327. ,
- 1979. Mean rainfall patterns for the three phases of GATE. J. Appl. Meteorol. 18: 1656–1669.
- 2006. Three-dimensional structure and dynamics of African easterly waves. Part I. Observations. J. Atmos. Sci. 63: 2212–2230. , ,
- 1993. Mesoscale convective complexes in Africa. Mon. Weather Rev. 121: 2254–2263. ,
- 2008. The propagation and diurnal cycles of deep convection in northern tropical Africa. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 93–109. , , ,
- 2009. On the correction of partial beam blockage in polarimetric radar data. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 26: 943–957. , ,
- 1998. How important is the contribution of the mesoscale convective complexes to the Sahelian rainfall? Phys. Chem. Earth 23: 629–633. , ,
- 1997. Rainfall climatology of the HAPEX-Sahel region during the years 1950–1990. J. Hydrol. 188: 43–73. ,
- 2010. The AMMA field campaigns: multiscale and multidisciplinary observations in the West African region. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136(S1): 8–33. , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. A cloud and precipitation feature database from nine years of TRMM observations. J. Appl. Meteorol. Climatol. 47: 2712–2728. , , , ,
- 2000. Sensitivity of tropical West Pacific oceanic squall lines to tropospheric wind moisture profiles. J. Atmos. Sci. 57: 2351–2373. , ,
- 1978. Diurnal variations in convective activity and precipitation during phases II and III of GATE. Mon. Weather Rev. 106: 101–113. ,
- 1993. Diurnal variations and modulation by easterly waves of the size distribution of convective cloud clusters over West Africa and the Atlantic Ocean. Mon. Weather Rev. 121: 37–49. , ,
- 1993a. Cloud clusters and superclusters over the oceanic warm pool. Mon. Weather Rev. 121: 1398–1416. ,
- 1993b. An integrated view of the 1987 Australian monsoon and its mesoscale convective systems. II. Vertical structure. Q. J. R.Metereol. Soc. 119: 733–754. ,
- 1995. Diabatic divergence profiles in Western Pacific mesoscale convective systems. J. Atmos. Sci. 52: 1807–1828. ,
- 2005. Doppler radar observations of mesoscale wind divergence in regions of tropical convection. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 1808–1824. ,
- 2001. Life cycle of Sahelian mesoscale convective cloud systems. Q. J. R. Meteoreol. Soc. 127: 377–406. ,
- 2002. Mesoscale convective system rainfall in the Sahel. J. Appl. Meteorol. Climatol. 41: 1081–1092. , ,
- 2006. Analysis of convection and its association with African easterly waves. J. Climate 19: 5405–5421. , ,
- 1986. The merger of mesoscale datasets into a common cartesian format for efficient and systematic analyses. J. Atmos. Ocean. Technol. 3: 143–161. , , ,
- 2004. Interannual, monthly, and regional variability in the wet season diurnal cycle of precipitation in sub-Saharan Africa. J. Climate 17: 2441–2453.
- 2006. Intense convective systems in West Africa and their relationship to the African easterly jet. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 132: 163–176. ,
- 1999. The contribution to tropical rainfall with respect to convective system type, size, and intensity estimated from the 85-GHz ice-scattering signature. J. Appl. Meteor. 38: 596–606. , ,
- 2009. The interannual stability of cumulative frequency distributions for convective system size and intensity. J. Climate 22: 5218–5231. , ,
- 2000. A census of precipitation features in the Tropics using TRMM: radar, ice scattering, and lightning observations. J. Climate 13: 4087–4106. , ,
- 2006. Storm morphology and rainfall characteristics of TRMM precipitation features. Mon. Weather Rev. 134: 2702–2721. , ,
- 2010. An analysis of the environments of intense convective systems in West Africa in 2003. Mon. Weather Rev. 138: 3721–3739. ,
- 2009. Radar observations of convective system variability in relationship to African easterly waves during the 2006 AMMA Special Observing Period. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 4136–4150. , , ,
- 2008. Correction of humidity bias for Vaisala RS80-A sondes during the AMMA 2006 observing period. J. Atmos. Ocean. Technol. 25: 2152–2158. , , , , , ,
- 2004. Raindrop size distribution and radar parameters at Cape Verde. J. Appl. Meteor. Climatol. 43: 90–105. , , ,
- 1979. ‘GATE radar rainfall processing system’. NOAA Technical Memo, Springfield, VA. , , , ,
- 1977. The relationship of satellite inferred convective activity to easterly waves over West Africa and the adjacent ocean during phase III of GATE. Mon. Weather Rev. 105: 413–420. ,
- 1988. The structure of West African squall lines and their environmental moisture budget. Meteor. Atmos. Phys. 39: 74–84. ,
- 2002. Multi-scale description of a Sahelian synoptic weather system representative of the West African monsoon. Q. J. R. Meteor. Soc. 128: 1229–1257. , , , , , ,
- 2006. African Monsoon Multidisciplinary Analysis: an international research project and field campaign. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 87: 1739–1746. , , , , ,
- 1977. The structure and properties of African wave disturbances as observed during Phase III of GATE. Mon. Weather Rev. 105: 317–333. , ,
- 2009. Radar-observed squall line propagation and the diurnal cycle of convection in Niamey, Niger, during the 2006 African Monsoon and Multidisciplinary Analyses Intensive Observing Period. J. Geophys. Res. 114: D03107, DOI: 200910.1029/2008JD010871. , , ,
- 2008. The GEOS-5 Data Assimilation System: Documentationof Versions 5.0.1 and 5.1.0. NASA GSFC Technical Report Series on Global Modeling and Data Assimilation. NASA: Hanover, MD. Available: http://gmao.gsfc.nasa.gov/pubs/docs/GEOS5_104606-Vol27.pdf. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1988. The West African squall line observed on 23 June 1981 during COPT 81: kinematics and thermodynamics of the convective region. J. Atmos. Sci. 45: 406–426.
- 1990. Single-Doppler observations of a West African squall line on 27–28 May 1981 during COPT 81: kinematics, thermodynamics and water budget. Mon. Weather Rev. 118: 1826–1854. ,
- 2005. Cyclogenesis off the African coast: the case of Cindy in August 1999. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 2803–2813. ,
- 1995. The shape of averaged drop size distributions. J. Atmos. Sci. 52: 1070–1083. ,
- 2003. Stratiform rain in the Tropics as seen by the TRMM precipitation radar. J. Climate 16: 1739–1756. ,
- 2006. Stratiform precipitation production over sub-Saharan Africa and the tropical East Atlantic as observed by TRMM. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 132: 2235–2255. ,
- 1999. Diurnal variations of rainfall over Niger in the West African Sahel: a comparison between wet and drought years. Int. J. Climatol. 19: 81–94. , ,
- 1995. Climatological characterization of three-dimensional storm structure from operational radar and rain gauge data. J. Appl. Meteorol. 34: 1978–2007. , ,
- 2003. Relationships between rainfall and West African wave disturbances in station observations. Int. J. Climatol. 23: 305–313. ,
- 2008. Three-dimensional structure and dynamics of African easterly waves. Part III. Genesis. J. Atmos. Sci. 65: 3596–3607. , ,
- 1982. The dependence of numerically simulated convective storms on vertical wind shear and buoyancy. Mon. Weather Rev. 110: 504–520. ,
- 1988. Structure and evolution of numerically simulated squall lines. J. Atmos. Sci. 45: 1990–2013. , ,
- 2009. The Saharan air layer and the fate of African easterly waves: NASA's AMMA field study of tropical cyclogenesis. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 90: 1137–1156. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,