The advection–condensation model and water-vapour probability density functions
Version of Record online: 12 JUL 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 137, Issue 659, pages 1561–1572, July 2011 Part B
How to Cite
Sukhatme, J. and Young, W. R. (2011), The advection–condensation model and water-vapour probability density functions. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 137: 1561–1572. doi: 10.1002/qj.869
- Issue online: 7 SEP 2011
- Version of Record online: 12 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 MAY 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 7 APR 2011
- Manuscript Received: 29 NOV 2010
- 2009. Study of the free tropospheric humidity interannual variability using Meteosat data and an advection–condensation transport model. J. Climate 22: 6773–6787. , ,
- 1997. Variability of midtropospheric moisture and its effect on cloud-top height distribution during TOGA COARE. J. Atmos. Sci. 54: 2760–2774. ,
- 1998. Collective behavior of networks with linear (VLSI) integrate-and-fire neurons. Neural Computation 11: 633–652. ,
- 2005. Diagnosis of subtropical humidity dynamics using tracers of last saturation. J. Atmos. Sci. 62: 3353–3367. , ,
- 1997. The vertical-scale cascade in atmospheric tracers due to large-scale differential advection. J. Atmos. Sci. 54: 1121–1136. ,
- 2000. Water vapour feedback and global warming. Ann. Rev. Energy Environ. 25: 441–475. ,
- 1997. Ten years of measurements of tropical upper-tropospheric water vapor by MOZAIC. Part I: Climatology, variability, transport, and relation to deep convection. J. Climate 20: 418–435. , ,
- 2006. Variability of clouds and water vapor in low latitudes: View from Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS). J. Geophys. Res. 111: D16101. DOI:10.1029/2005JD006791. ,
- 2000. The effect of forcing on the spatial structure and spectra of chaotically advected passive scalars. Phys. Fluids 12: 2506–2513. , ,
- 2006. Stochastic models for the kinematics of moisture transport and condensation in homogeneous turbulent flows. J. Atmos. Sci. 63: 2992–3005. ,
- 2011. The relative humidity in an isentropic advection–condensation model: limited poleward influence and properties of subtropical minima. J. Atmos. Sci. (submitted). , ,
- 1994. Tracer microstructure in the large-eddy dominated regime. Chaos, Solitons and Fractals 4: 1091–1110.
- 1998. Lateral mixing as a source of subtropical water vapour. Geophys. Res. Lett. 25: 151–154.
- 2002. The hydrologic cycle in deep-time climate problems. Nature 419: 191–198.
- 2010. Principles of Planetary Climate. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK.
- 1998. Evidence for control of Atlantic subtropical humidity by large scale advection. Geophys. Res. Lett. 25: 4537–4540. ,
- 2005. In The General Circulation of the Atmosphere, , (eds). Princeton University Press: Princeton, NJ. , ,
- 2006. Water in the Earth's atmosphere. J. Phys. IV 139: 37–61. ,
- 2009. PDFs of tropical tropospheric humidity: measurement and theory. J. Climate 22: 3357–3373. , ,
- 1997. A trajectory analysis of tropical upper-tropospheric moisture and convection. J. Climate 10: 2533–2547. ,
- 2006. A climatology of tropospheric zonal-mean water vapor fields and fluxes in isentropic coordinates. J. Climate 19: 5918–5933. , , ,
- 2010. Water vapor and the dynamics of climate changes. Rev. Geophys. 48: RG3001, DOI:10.1029/2009RG000302. , ,
- 1996. Maintainence of free-tropospheric tropical vater vapour distribution. Part II : Simulation by large scale advection. J. Climate 9: 2919–2934.
- 2006. A distribution law for free-tropospheric relative humidity. J. Climate 19: 6267–6277. , ,
- 2009. Tropospheric water vapour, convection and climate. Rev. Geophys. 48: RG2001, DOI:10.1029/2009RG000301. , , ,
- 1993. Upper-tropospheric relative-humidity from the GOES 6.7 µm channel—method and climatology for July 1987. J. Geophys. Res. 98: 16669–16688. ,
- 1997. How dry is the tropical free troposphere? Implications for global warming theory. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 78: 1097–1106. ,
- 2005. Lagrangian velocity correlations and absolute dispersion in the midlatitude troposphere. J. Atmos. Sci. 62: 3831–3836.
- 1977. Atmospheric Science. An Introductory Survey. Academic Press: San Diego, CA. ,
- 1994. Production of dry air by isentropic mixing. J. Atmos. Sci. 51: 3437–3454. ,
- 2003. Bimodality in tropical water vapour. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 129: 2847–2866. , ,