The key role of diabatic processes in modifying the upper-tropospheric wave guide: a North Atlantic case-study
Article first published online: 17 AUG 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: The use of cloud and precipitation observations in data assimilation (CPDA)
Volume 137, Issue 661, pages 2174–2193, October 2011 Part B
How to Cite
Grams, C. M., Wernli, H., Böttcher, M., Čampa, J., Corsmeier, U., Jones, S. C., Keller, J. H., Lenz, C.-J. and Wiegand, L. (2011), The key role of diabatic processes in modifying the upper-tropospheric wave guide: a North Atlantic case-study. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 137: 2174–2193. doi: 10.1002/qj.891
- Issue published online: 7 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 17 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 27 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 22 NOV 2010
- German Research Foundation (DFG)
- 2004. The extratropical transition of hurricane Irene (1999): A potential-vorticity perspective. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 130: 1047–1074. , , ,
- 2005. The extratropical transition of tropical cyclone Lili (1996) and its crucial contribution to a moderate extratropical development. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 1562–1573. , , ,
- 2008. Predictability associated with the downstream impacts of the extratropical transition of tropical cyclones: Case studies. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 3226–3247. , ,
- 1988. ‘Potential vorticity in extratropical cyclones’. PhD thesis. University of Reading, UK.
- 1984. A preliminary analysis of the role of potential vorticity in Alpine lee cyclogenesis. Beit. Phys. Atmos. 57: 357–368. ,
- 1995. Post-landfall tropical cyclone reintensification in a weakly baroclinic environment: A case study of hurricane David (September 1979). Mon. Weather Rev. 123: 3268–3291. ,
- 2010. The THORPEX Interactive Grand Global Ensemble. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 91: 1059–1072. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1990. Organisation of clouds and precipitation in extratropical cyclones. In Extratropical Cyclones—The Erik Palmén memorial volume, , . (eds.) 129–154. Amer. Meteorol. Soc: Boston, USA.
- 2004. The sting at the end of the tail: Damaging winds associated with extratropical cyclones. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 130: 375–399.
- 1998. Analysis of an ex-tropical cyclone after its reintensification as a warm-core extratropical cyclone. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 124: 2329–2356. , ,
- 2003. A case-study of an orographic cyclone south of the Alps during the MAP SOP. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 129: 1795–1818. , ,
- 2011. A potential vorticity perspective on the vertical structure of mid-latitude cyclones. J. Atmos. Sci. submitted. ,
- 2011. Cyclone interactions and evolutions during the ‘Perfect Storms’ of late October and early November 1991. Mon. Weather Rev. 139: 1683–1707. ,
- 1964. On the influence of released latent heat on cyclone development. J. Appl. Meteorol. 3: 27–37.
- 1992. Piecewise potential vorticity inversion. J. Atmos. Sci. 49: 1397–1411.
- 1991. Potential vorticity diagnostics of cyclogenesis. Mon. Weather Rev. 119: 1929–1953. ,
- 1993. The integrated effect of condensation in numerical simulations of extratropical cyclogenesis. Mon. Weather Rev. 121: 2309–2330. , ,
- 2003. Diagnosis of ‘forecast–analysis’ differences of a weather prediction system. Geophys. Res. Lett. 30: 2060, DOI: 10.1029/2003GL017986. , ,
- 2004. A 15-year climatology of warm conveyor belts. J. Climate 17: 218–237. , , , , ,
- 2003. Objective indicators of the life cycle evolution of extratropical transition for Atlantic tropical cyclones. Mon. Weather Rev. 131: 909–925. ,
- 2010. ‘The interaction between the outflow of typhoon Jangmi and the midlatitude jet during T-PARC’. Extended abstract for Proceedings of the 29th Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology, Tucson, Arizona, USA. Available at http://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/168783.pdf. ,
- 2011. Modelling the extratropical transition of tropical cyclones and its downstream impact. In High-Performance Computing in Science and Engineering '10. , , . (eds.) Springer: Berlin. ,
- 2000. Extratropical transition of tropical cyclones over the Western North Pacific. Part I: Evolution of structural characteristics during the transition process. Mon. Weather Rev. 128: 2613–2633. ,
- 2008. Predictability associated with the downstream impacts of the extratropical transition of tropical cyclones: Methodology and a case study of typhoon Nabi (2005). Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 3205–3225. , ,
- 2008. A European daily high-resolution gridded dataset of surface temperature and precipitation for 1950–2006. J. Geophys. Res. (Atmos.) 113: D12, DOI: 10.1029/2008JD010201. , , , , ,
- 1988. A potential vorticity perspective of the storm of 15–16 October 1987. Weather 43: 122–129. ,
- 1985. On the use and significance of isentropic potential vorticity maps. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 111: 877–946. , ,
- 2003. The extratropical transition of tropical cyclones: Forecast challenges, current understanding, and future directions. Weather and Forecasting 18: 1052–1092. , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2011. Characteristics of the TIGGE multimodel ensemble prediction system in representing forecast variability associated with extratropical transition. Geophys. Res. Lett. 38: L12802, DOI:10.1029/2011GL047275. , , ,
- 2000. Extratropical transition of Western North Pacific tropical cyclones: An overview and conceptual model of the transformation stage. Weather and Forecasting 15: 373–396. , ,
- 2001. Frontal modification and lee cyclogenesis in the Alps: A case study using the ALPEX reanalysis data set. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 78: 89–105. , ,
- 2005. Tropical plumes and extreme precipitation in subtropical and tropical West Africa. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 2337–2365. ,
- 1991. The interaction between baroclinic and diabatic processes in a numerical simulation of a rapidly intensifying extratropical marine cyclone. Mon. Weather Rev. 119: 368–384. , ,
- 1999. Quasigeostrophic forcing of ascent in the occluded sector of cyclones and the trowal airstream. Mon. Weather Rev. 127: 70–88.
- 2001. Influence of upstream diabatic heating upon an alpine event of heavy precipitation. Mon. Weather Rev. 129: 2822–2828. , ,
- 2004. The impact of tropical remnants on extratropical cyclogenesis: Case study of hurricanes Danielle and Earl (1998). Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 1933–1951. , ,
- 2009. Dynamics and predictability of a heavy dry-season precipitation event over West Africa—Sensitivity experiments with a global model. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 189–206. ,
- 1993. The life cycle of an extratropical marine cyclone. Part II: Mesoscale structure and diagnostics. Mon. Weather Rev. 121: 2177–2199. , ,
- 2001. Extreme precipitation events over northwest Italy and their relationship with tropical–extratropical interactions over the Atlantic. In Proceedings of the 3rd ECS Plinius Conference on Mediterranean Storms, Baja Sardinia, Italy, October 2001. , , , ,
- 2000. The evolution and dynamical role of reduced upper-tropospheric potential vorticity in intensive observing period one of FASTEX. Mon. Weather Rev. 128: 1817–1834. ,
- 2010. The downstream impact of tropical cyclones on a developing baroclinic wave in idealized scenarios of extratropical transition. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 136: 617–637. ,
- 2008. The impact of extratropical transition on the downstream flow: An idealized modelling study with a straight jet. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 69–91. , ,
- 2001. Sensitivity of a heavy-rain-producing western Mediterranean cyclone to embedded potential-vorticity anomalies. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 127: 2559–2597.
- 2000. Growth and decay of an extratropical cyclone's PV-tower. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 73: 139–156. , ,
- 2009. A description of thenon-hydrostatic Regional Model LM. Part VII: User Guide. Consortium for Small-Scale Modelling: Available at http://www.cosmo-model.org. , ,
- 2003. Meso-gamma scale forecasts using the nonhydrostatic model LM. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 82: 75–96. , , , , , ,
- 1996. A potential vorticity-based study of the role of diabatic heating and friction in a numerically simulated baroclinic cyclone. Mon. Weather Rev. 124: 849–874.
- 1990. Lee cyclogenesis resulting from the combined outbreak of cold air and potential vorticity against the Alps. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 43: 31–47.
- 2000. The extratropical transitions of hurricanes Felix and Iris in 1995. Mon. Weather Rev. 128: 947–972. ,
- 2010. Diagnosis of the downstream ridging associated with extratropical transition using short-term ensemble forecasts. J. Atmos. Sci. 67: 817–833.
- 2009. Initial condition sensitivity of western Pacific extratropical transitions determined using ensemble-based sensitivity analysis. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 3388–3406. ,
- 1973. The role of cumulus convection in the development of extratropical cyclones. Mon. Weather Rev. 101: 573–593.
- 1990. Processes contributing to the rapid development of extratropical cyclones. In Extratropical Cyclones—The Erik Palmén memorial volume, , . (eds.) Amer. Meteorol. Soc: Boston. 81–105.
- 2011. The ‘year’ of tropical convection (May 2008 to April 2010): Climate variability and weather highlights. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. submitted. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1997. A Lagrangian-based analysis of extratropical cyclones. II: A detailed case-study. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 123: 1677–1706.
- 1997. A Lagrangian-based analysis of extratropical cyclones. I: The method and some applications. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 123: 467–489. ,
- 2006. Surface cyclones in the ERA-40 dataset (1958–2001). Part I: Novel identification method and global climatology. J. Atmos. Sci. 63: 2486–2507. ,