Observational probability method to assess ensemble precipitation forecasts
Version of Record online: 11 AUG 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 138, Issue 662, pages 209–221, January 2012 Part A
How to Cite
Santos, C. and Ghelli, A. (2012), Observational probability method to assess ensemble precipitation forecasts. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 138: 209–221. doi: 10.1002/qj.895
- Issue online: 23 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 11 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 5 APR 2011
- Manuscript Received: 3 NOV 2010
- 2008. Accounting for the effect of observation errors on verification of MOGREPS. Meteorol. Appl. 15: 199–205.
- 2005. Incorporating misclassification error in skill assessment. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 3382–3392. , ,
- 1995. The singular-vector structure of the atmospheric global circulation. J. Atmos. Sci. 52: 1434–1456. ,
- 1999. Stochastic representation of model uncertainties in the ECMWF ensemble prediction system. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 125: 2887–2908. , ,
- 2003. Benefits of increased resolution in the ECMWF ensemble system and comparison with poor-man's ensembles. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 129: 1269–1288. , ,
- 2005. Evaluation of probabilistic prediction systems for a scalar variable. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 2131–2150. ,
- 2008. Impact of observational error on the validation of ensemble prediction systems. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 959–971. ,
- 2002. Verification of precipitation forecasts over the Alpine region using a high-density observing network. Weather Forecast. 17: 238–249. , ,
- 1999. Radar–rain gauge comparisons under observational uncertainties. J. Appl. Meteor. 38: 1519–1525. ,
- 1993. The unified forecast/climate model. Meteorol. Mag. 122: 81–94.
- 1997. ‘The nonhydrostatic limited-area model LM (Lokal-Modell) of DWD. Part I: Scientific documentation’. Deutscher Wetterdienst, Offenbach, Germany, March 1997. ,
- 1993. A nonhydrostatic version of the Penn State–NCAR mesoscale model: validation tests and simulation of an Atlantic cyclone and cold front. Mon. Weather Rev. 121: 1493–1513.
- 2008. Statistical characteristics of daily precipitation: comparisons of gridded and point data sets. J. Appl. Meteorol. Climatol. 47: 2468–2476. ,
- 2011. Predictability of short-range forecasting: a multimodel approach. Tellus A 63: 550–563. , , , , ,
- 2000. Verifying precipitation forecasts using upscaled observations. ECMWF Newsl. 87: 9–17. ,
- 2009. On the use of the extreme dependency score to investigate the performance of a NWP model for rare events. Meteorol. Appl. 16: 537–544. ,
- 1994. ‘A description of the fifth-generation Penn State/NCAR mesoscale model (MM5)’. NCAR Technical Note NCAR/TN-398+STR. , ,
- 2004. Clustering methods for statistical downscaling in short-range weather forecasts. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 2169–2183. , , ,
- 2000. The IFS cycle CY21r4 made operational in October 1999. ECMWF Newsl. 87: 2–9. , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. Forecast Verification: A Practitioner's Guide in Atmospheric Science. Wiley: New York. ,
- 2003. On the ROC score of probability forecasts. J. Climate 16: 4145–4150. ,
- 1994. Short description of the Europa-Modell (EM) and Deutschland Modell (DM) of the DWD. Deutscer Wetterdienst Quarterly Bulletin April, 78 pp. ,
- 2002. The operational Global Icosahedral–Hexagonal gridpoint model GME: description and high-resolution tests. Mon. Weather Rev. 130: 319–338. , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. On using ‘climatology’ as a reference strategy in the Brier and ranked probability skill scores. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 1891–1895.
- 1992. A two-time-level, three-dimensional semi-Lagrangian, semi-implicit, limited-area gridpoint model of the primitive equations. Mon. Weather Rev. 120: 2603–2621. ,
- 2009. The skill of probabilistic precipitation forecasts under observational uncertainties within the generalized likelihood uncertainty estimation framework for hydrological applications. J. Hydrometeorol. 10 807–819. , , ,
- 2008. Scale-selective verification of rainfall accumulations from high-resolution forecasts of convective events. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 78–97. ,
- 2004. Effects of observation errors on the statistics for ensemble spread and reliability. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 1487–1501. , , ,
- 1982. ‘The NMC spectral model’. NOAA Technical Report NWS-30.
- 2007. Probabilistic quantitative precipitation forecasting using Bayesian model averaging. Mon. Weather Rev. 135: 3209–3220. , , ,
- 2002. ‘HIRLAM-5 scientific documentation’. Available from Hirlam-5 Project, c/o Per Undén, SMHI, Norrköping, Sweden. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences (2nd edn). International Geophysics Series Vol. 91. Academic Press: New York, NY.
- 2000. Comparison of a single-model EPS with a multimodel ensemble consisting of a few operational models. Tellus A 52 280–299.