The Persian Gulf summertime low-level jet over sloping terrain
Article first published online: 24 AUG 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 138, Issue 662, pages 145–157, January 2012 Part A
How to Cite
Giannakopoulou, E. M. and Toumi, R. (2012), The Persian Gulf summertime low-level jet over sloping terrain. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 138: 145–157. doi: 10.1002/qj.901
- Issue published online: 23 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 24 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 27 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 9 DEC 2010
- 1994. Wind regime of the Arabian Gulf. In The Gulf War and the Environment. , (eds.) 31–48. Gordon and Breach: Lausanne, Switzerland.
- 2005. Radar-duct and boundary-layer characteristics over the area of the Gulf. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 1923–1953. ,
- 1957. Boundary-layer wind maxima and their significance for the growth of nocturnal inversions. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 38: 283–290.
- 1970. Diurnal variations in boundary-layer winds over the south-central United States in summer. Mon. Weather Rev. 98: 735–744. ,
- 1999. Effects of coastal orography on landfalling cold fronts. Part I: Dry, inviscid dynamics. J. Atmos. Sci. 56: 517–533. , ,
- 2000. Aircraft observations of the mean and turbulent structure of a shallow boundary layer over the Persian Gulf. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 95: 189–210. ,
- 1999. Observations of strong surface radar ducts over the Persian Gulf. J. Appl. Meteorol. 38: 1293–1310. , ,
- 1996. The summertime low-level jet and marine boundary-layer structure along the California coast. Mon. Weather Rev. 124: 668–686. ,
- 2001. Coupling an advanced land surface–hydrology model with the Penn State–NCAR MM5 modeling system. Part I: Model implementation and sensitivity. Mon. Weather Rev. 129: 569–585. ,
- 1997. The influence of mesoscale orography on a coastal jet and rainband. Mon. Weather Rev. 125: 1465–1488.
- 2000. AMS Glossary of Meteorology. (CD). 2nd edition. Amer. Meteorol. Soc: Boston, USA.
- 1967. The diurnal boundary-layer wind oscillation above sloping terrain. Tellus 19: 199–205.
- 2004. A revised approach to ice microphysical processes for the bulk parameterization of clouds and precipitation. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 103–120. , ,
- 2004. Coriolis effects in mesoscale flows with sharp changes in surface conditions. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 130: 2703–2731. , , ,
- 2007. Mechanisms of the Great Plains low-level jet as simulated in an AGCM. J. Atmos. Sci. 64: 532–547. , , ,
- 1981. Diurnal boundary-layer development over sloping terrain. J. Atmos. Sci. 38: 2198–2212. ,
- 1983. Low-level wind profiles during the Gulf Shamal. Weather 38: 18–24.
- 2009. Three-dimensional idealized simulations of barrier jets along the southeast coast of Alaska. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 391–413. ,
- 2010. On the role of sloping terrain in the forcing of the Great Plains low-level jet. J. Atmos. Sci. 67: 2690–2699. ,
- 1988. A case study of the summertime Great Plains low-level jet. Mon. Weather Rev. 116: 94–105. , ,
- 1979. ‘Winter shamal in the Persian Gulf’. Tech. Report TR-79-06, Naval Environmental Prediction Research Facility, Monterey, USA.
- 1984. Linear results on the barrier effects of mesoscale mountains. J. Atmos. Sci. 41: 1356–1367.
- 1985. Upstream effects of mesoscale mountains. J. Atmos. Sci. 42: 977–1003. ,
- 2003. Summer shamals over the Arabian Gulf. Weather 58: 471–478. , , ,
- 2008. The Greenland Flow Distortion Experiment. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 89: 1307–1324. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. A meteorological reanalysis for the 1991 Gulf War. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 623–640. , , , ,
- 2008. ‘A description of the Advanced Research WRF Version 3’. Tech. Note 475+STR. National Center for Atmospheric Research: Boulder, USA. , , , , , , , ,
- 1979. The influence of mountains on the atmosphere. Adv. Geophys. 21: 87–230.
- 1996. Importance of low-level jets to climate: A review. J. Climate 9: 1698–1711.
- 2006. A quasi-normal scale elimination model of turbulence and its application to stably stratified flows. Nonlin. Proc. Geophys. 13: 9–22. , ,
- 2006. The role of the North American topography on the maintenance of the Great Plains summer low-level jet. J. Atmos. Sci. 63: 1056–1068. ,
- 1939. Uber die Tageswinde in der freien Atmosphäre. (Concerning the daily wind in the free atmosphere.) Beitr. Phys. freien Atmos. 25: 145–170.
- 1988. Frontogenesis over a mountain ridge. J. Atmos. Sci. 45: 628–644. ,
- 2004. Observed and modelled climatology of the land–sea breeze circulation over the Persian Gulf. Int. J. Climatol. 24: 883–905. ,