Conditional nonlinear optimal perturbations: behaviour during the evolution of cold vortices over northeast China
Version of Record online: 5 SEP 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 138, Issue 662, pages 198–208, January 2012 Part A
How to Cite
Jiang, Z. and Wang, D. (2012), Conditional nonlinear optimal perturbations: behaviour during the evolution of cold vortices over northeast China. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 138: 198–208. doi: 10.1002/qj.913
- Issue online: 23 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 5 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 14 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 21 JUL 2010
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 40905023, 40633016
- 2000. Nonmonotone spectral projected gradient methods on convex sets. SIAM J. Optim. 10: 1196–1211. , ,
- 1994. Sensitivity of optimal unstable structures. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 120: 429–451.
- 1995. The singular-vector structure of the atmospheric global circulation. J. Atmos. Sci. 52: 1434–1456. ,
- 1993. Computation of optimal unstable structures for a numerical weather prediction model. Tellus 45A: 388–407. , , ,
- 1994. An investigation of cold vortices in the upper troposphere over the western North Pacific during the warm season. Mon. Weather Rev. 122: 1436–1448. ,
- 2004. Conditional nonlinear optimal perturbations as the optimal precursors for El Niño–Southern Oscillation events. J. Geophys. Res. 109: D23105, DOI: 10.1029/2004 JD004756. , ,
- 1995. Mesoscale predictability and the spectrum of optimal perturbations. J. Atmos. Sci. 52 3475–3500. ,
- 1999. Singular-vector perturbation growth in a primitive equation model with moist physics. J. Atmos. Sci. 56: 1627–1648. , ,
- 2002. The workshop in atmospheric predictability. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 83 1341–1343. , ,
- 2000. Singular vectors, finite-time normal modes, and error growth during blocking. J. Atmos. Sci. 57: 312–333.
- 1949. An investigation of a selected cold vortex over North America. J. Meteorol. 6: 401–410.
- 2010. Seasonal climatology of cut-off lows and associated precipitation patterns over northeast China. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 106: 37–48. , ,
- 2008. Conditional nonlinear optimal perturbation of a T21L3 quasi-geostrophic model. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 134: 1027–1038. , ,
- 2005. Application of adjoint-derived forecast sensitivities to the 24–25 January 2000 U.S. East Coast snowstorm. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 3148–3175. ,
- 1963. The predictability of hydrodynamic flow. Trans. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 25B: 409–432.
- 1965. A study of the predictability of a 28-variable atmospheric model. Tellus 17: 321–333.
- 1969. The predictability of a flow which possesses many scales of motion. Tellus 21: 289–307.
- 1993. Predictability and finite-time instability of the northern winter circulation. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 119 269–298. ,
- 2003. A new approach to studying ENSO predictability: Conditional nonlinear optimal perturbation. Chinese Sci. Bull. 48: 1045–1047. ,
- 2008. A method to find perturbations that trigger blocking onset: Conditional nonlinear optimal perturbations. J. Atmos. Sci. 65: 3935–3946. ,
- 2006. Conditional nonlinear optimal perturbations of a two-dimensional quasigeostrophic model. J. Atmos. Sci. 63: 1587–1604. ,
- 2004. Recent advances in predictability studies in China (1999–2002). Adv. Atmos. Sci. 21: 437–443. , ,
- 2009. A method for identifying the sensitive areas in targeted observations for tropical cyclone prediction: Conditional nonlinear optimal perturbation. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 1623–1639. , ,
- 2008. Nonlinear generalization of singular vectors: Behavior in a baroclinic unstable flow. J. Atmos. Sci. 65: 1896–1911. , ,
- 2009. A novel technique for nonlinear sensitivity analysis: Application to moist predictability. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 135: 1520–1537. , ,
- 2002. A composite diagnostic study of heavy rainfall caused by the northeast cold vortex over Songhuajiang-Nenjiang river basin in summer of 1998. J. Appl. Meteorol. Science 13: 156–162 (in Chinese). , , , , ,
- 2004. Mesoscale predictability of moist baroclinic waves: Experiments with parameterized convection. J. Atmos. Sci. 61: 1794–1804. , , ,
- 1957. Uncertainty of initial state as a factor in the predictability of large scale atmospheric flow patterns. Tellus 9: 275–295.
- 2010. Analysis of impact of dry intrusion on a cold vortex process in northeast China. Plateau Meteorol. 29: 1208–1217 (in Chinese). , ,
- 2002. Mesoscale predictability of the ‘surprise’ snowstorm of 24–25 January 2000. Mon. Weather Rev. 130: 1617–1632. , ,
- 2003. Effects of moist convection on mesoscale predictability. J. Atmos. Sci. 60: 1173–1185. , ,
- 2007. Study on cut-off low-pressure systems with floods over Northeast Asia. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 96 159–180. ,
- 1992. ‘Heavy rainfall over northeast China.’ China Meteorol. Press: Beijing. Pp 19–43 (in Chinese). , ,