Lessons Learned About the Nature of Groundwater Contamination by PAHs: A Case History–Based Discussion
Article first published online: 18 JAN 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 103–121, Winter 2013
How to Cite
Brassington, R. (2013), Lessons Learned About the Nature of Groundwater Contamination by PAHs: A Case History–Based Discussion. Remediation, 23: 103–121. doi: 10.1002/rem.21341
- Issue published online: 18 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 18 JAN 2013
- Alcontrol. (2007). The determination of six specified polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons in potable and river waters using solid phase extraction and high performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection. Information leaflet. Rotherham, UK: Author.
- 2002). Basic water treatment. London, UK: Thomas Telford Ltd. , , & (
- 2006). Field hydrogeology (3rd ed.). Chichester, UK: Wiley. (
- 2009). The potential use of hydrogen peroxide in water well rehabilitation. Water and Environment Journal, 23, 69–74. , , , & (
- British Standards Institution. (1988). British standard guide for geophysical logging of boreholes for hydrogeological purposes. BS 7022:1988. London, UK: Author.
- 2009). Adsorption of naphthalene and phenanthrene on dodecylpyridinium-modified bentonite. Applied Clay Science, 43, 317–321. , & (
- 1999). Bioremediation of petroleum hydrocarbon-contaminated ground water: The perspectives of history and hydrology. Ground Water, 37, 122–132. (
- 2002). Soil vapor extraction and chemical oxidation to remediate chlorinated solvents in fractured crystalline bedrock: Pilot study results and lessons learned. Remediation, 12(2), 35–50. , , & (
- 1992). Methodology for monitoring and sampling groundwater. R&D Note 126. Bristol, UK: Environment Agency. (
- 2011). Two-dimensional transport of lactate-modified nanoscale iron particles in porous media. Remediation, 21(4), 45–72. , & (
- 1986). Groundwater and wells (2nd ed.). St. Paul, MN: Johnson Filtration Systems. (
- Environment Agency. (2005). Decommissioning redundant boreholes and wells. Bristol, UK: Author.
- 1991). Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons: Chemistry and carcinogenicity. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. (
- International Carbon Black Association (ICBA). (2004). Carbon black users' guide—Safety, health, & environmental information. Retrieved from http://www.carbon-black.org/user_guide.html
- International Carbon Black Association (ICBA). (2006). What is carbon black? Retrieved from http://www.carbon-black.org/what_is.html
- 1999). Applications of hydrogen peroxide and derivatives. Cambridge, UK: The Royal Society of Chemistry. (
- 2006) Water wells and boreholes. Chichester, UK: Wiley. , , & (
- 1984). Aromatic hydrocarbons-polycyclics. In J. W. Moore & S. Ramamoorthy, Organic chemicals in natural waters: Applied monitoring and impact assessment (pp. 67–87). New York, NY: Springer-Verlag. , & (
- 1979). Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the aquatic environment: Sources, fates and biological effects. London, UK: Applied Science. (
- 1999). Hydrogen peroxide treatment: The good, the bad, the ugly. Ground Water Monitoring & Remediation, 19(3), 54–57. , & (
- 2011). Iron precipitation and biofouling at Cockle Park Farm borehole array (Unpublished MSc dissertation). School of Civil Engineering & Geosciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. (
- Solvay Interox. (2004). Handling and storage of hydrogen peroxide. Safety brochure. Bruxelles, Belgium: Solvay Chemicals.
- 2001). The fate of PAHs in the carbon black manufacturing process. Atmospheric Environment, 35, 3495–3501. , , , & (
- UK Government. (2000). The water supply (water quality) regulations 2000 (statutory instruments 2000). No. 3184. London, UK: HMSO.
- US Environmental Protection Agency. (1975). Manual of water well construction practices. Washington, DC: Author.
- 1975). Fenton's reagent revisited. Accounts of Chemical Research, 8, 125–131. (
- 2008). Cleaning a borehole with hydrogen peroxide. UK Patent Application (No. 0801753.5). (