Transitioning Adolescents and Young Adults with a Chronic Health Condition to Adult HealthCare – An Exemplar Program
Article first published online: 25 MAR 2013
© 2013 Association of Rehabilitation Nurses
Volume 38, Issue 2, pages 63–72, March/April 2013
How to Cite
Kaufmann Rauen, K., Sawin, K. J., Bartelt, T., Waring, W. P., Orr, M. and Corey O'Connor, R. (2013), Transitioning Adolescents and Young Adults with a Chronic Health Condition to Adult HealthCare – An Exemplar Program. Rehabilitation Nursing, 38: 63–72. doi: 10.1002/rnj.74
- Issue published online: 25 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 25 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 20 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 17 APR 2012
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2002). Improving transition for adolescents with special health care needs – from pediatric to adult-centered care. Pediatrics, 110, 1304–1306.
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2011). Supporting the health care transition from adolescence to adulthood in the medical home. Pediatrics, 128, 185–186.
- 2004). Transitions of adolescents with special health care needs: Review and analysis of the literature. Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing, 27, 179–241. (
- 2010). Spina bifida: What we learned from consumers. Pediatric Clinics of North America, 57(4), 935–944. , , , , , & (
- 2001). Spina bifida outcome: A 25 year prospective. Pediatric Neurosurgery, 34(3), 114–120. , , , , & (
- 2001). Strategies for improving transition to adult cystic fibrosis care based on patient and parent views. Pediatric Pulmonology, 32, 428–436. , , & (
- 2009). Transition to adult health care for adolescents and young adults with congenital heart disease: Perspectives of the patient, parent and health care provider. Canadian Journal of Cardiology, 25(9), e317–e322. , , , , , & (
- Delmarva Foundation (2006). Spina Bifida Clinic Survey Analysis Report. Easton, MD: Author.
- 2008). Rehabilitation and medical management of the adult with spina bifida. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 87(121), 1027–1050. , , , , , et al. (
- 2004). Transition programs in cystic fibrosis centers: Perceptions of team members. Pediatric Pulmonology, 37(1), 4–7. , , , , & (
- 2003). Understanding the role of health care providers during the transition of adolescents with disabilities and special health care needs. Journal of Adolescent Health, 32(3), 225–233. , , & (
- 2008). Adolescents' transition to self-management of a chronic genetic disorder. Qualitative Health Research, 18(4), 441–457. , , , & (
- Healthy and Ready to Work. (1989). Surgeon General's Conference: Growing Up and Getting Medical Care: Youth with Special Health Care Needs. Retrieved from http://www.syntiro.org/hrtw/systems/def_cyshcn.html
- 2009). Proceedings from The Future is Now: First World Congress on Spina Bifida Research and Care. March 15-18, 2009. Washington, DC: Spina Bifida Association. (ed). (
- 2008). Improving transition from pediatric to adult cystic fibrosis care: Lessons from a national survey of current practices. Pediatrics, 121(5), e1160–e1166. doi: 10.1542/peds.2007-2217 , , , , , & (
- 1999). Adolescent health transitions: Focus group of teens and young adults with special health care needs. Family & Community Health, 22, 43–58. , & (
- 2005). Health care transition: Youth, family, and provider perspectives. Pediatrics, 115(1), 112–120. , , & (
- 2003). Correlates of functional status, self management, and developmental competence in adolescents with spina bifida. SCI Nursing, 20(2), 72–86. , , , & (
- 2010). Transition to adulthood. In J. Jackson, & J. Vessey (Eds.) Primary Care of Children with Chronic Conditions, 5th Ed (pp. 60–73). St. Louis: Elsevier Health Sciences Company. , , & (
- 2009). The experience of finding an effective bowel management program for children with spina bifida: The parents' perspective. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 24(4), 280–299. doi:10.1016/j.pedn.2008.03.008 , & (
- 2010). Transition to adult health care for adolescents with spina bifida: Research issues. Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews, 16(1), 60–65. , & (
- 2010). Developing an outpatient wound care clinic in an acute rehabilitation setting. Rehabilitation Nursing, 35(3), 91–98. , & (
- Spina Bifida Association. (2005). Publication Health Guide for Adults Living with Spina Bifida. Washington, D.C.: Author.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2000). Healthy People 2010: Understanding and Improving Health, 2nd ed. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, Stock Number 017-001-00-550-9.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2010). Healthy People 2020: The Road Ahead. Retrieved from http://www.health.gov/healthypeople/url
- 2010). Health care transitions among youth with disabilities or special health care needs: An ecological approach. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 25, 505–549. , , & (