A perspective on emerging automotive safety applications, derived from lessons learned through participation in the DARPA Grand Challenges
Version of Record online: 22 OCT 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Field Robotics
Special Issue: Special Issue on the 2007 DARPA Urban Challenge, Part III
Volume 25, Issue 10, pages 808–840, October 2008
How to Cite
McBride, J. R., Ivan, J. C., Rhode, D. S., Rupp, J. D., Rupp, M. Y., Higgins, J. D., Turner, D. D. and Eustice, R. M. (2008), A perspective on emerging automotive safety applications, derived from lessons learned through participation in the DARPA Grand Challenges. J. Field Robotics, 25: 808–840. doi: 10.1002/rob.20264
- Issue online: 22 OCT 2008
- Version of Record online: 22 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Received: 21 FEB 2008
- DARPA (2008). Various archived data and written accounts found on the Grand Challenge website, http://darpa.mil/grandchallenge.
- 1981). Random sample consensus: A paradigm for model fitting with application to image analysis and automated cartography. Communications of the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery), 24, 381–395. , & (
- Frost & Sullivan. (2005). Japanese passenger car and passive safety, systems markets, Report 4B79–18.
- Intelligent Vehicle Safety Technologies. (2005a). Intelligent vehicle safety technologies 1—Final technical report. Submitted by W. Klarquist & J. McBride, August 29, 2005, and archived at http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge05/TechPapers/IVST.pdf.
- Intelligent Vehicle Safety Technologies. (2005b). User manual, M. Rosenblum, November 11, 2005. Littleton, CO: PercepTek, Inc.
- Intelligent Vehicle Systems (2006). Team proposal for the DARPA Urban Challenge, Proposal for BAA 06-36, submitted by Honeywell Laboratories, June 26, 2006.
- Intelligent Vehicle Systems (2007a). DARPA Urban Challenge technical paper, submitted on behalf of the IVS Team by J. McBride, April 13, 2007, and archived at http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge/TechPapers/Honeyell_IVS.pdf.
- Intelligent Vehicle Systems (2007b). DARPA Urban Challenge final report, submitted by J. McBride, December 22, 2007.
- A perception-driven autonomous urban vehicle. Journal of Field Robotics. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (in press).
- NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation). (2005). Traffic Safety Facts 2005, from http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/TSF2005.PDF.
- National Safety Council. (2004). Mortality classifications. http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm.
- Volpe (2007). In Pre-crash scenario typology for crash avoidance research, Volpe National Transportation Systems Center, Project Memorandum, DOT-VNTSC-NHTSA-06-02, DOT HS 810 767, April 2007, http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departments/nrd-12/pubs_rev.html.