Fluorescence analysis of dissolved organic matter in natural, waste and polluted waters—a review
Article first published online: 3 APR 2007
Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
River Research and Applications
Volume 23, Issue 6, pages 631–649, July 2007
How to Cite
Hudson, N., Baker, A. and Reynolds, D. (2007), Fluorescence analysis of dissolved organic matter in natural, waste and polluted waters—a review. River Res. Applic., 23: 631–649. doi: 10.1002/rra.1005
- Issue published online: 26 JUN 2007
- Article first published online: 3 APR 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 24 OCT 2006
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAR 2006
- 1995. Synchronous fluorescence spectroscopy of wastewater and some potential constituents. Water Research 29(6): 1599–1602. , .
- 1999. Monitoring of water quality using fluorescence technique: prospect of on-line process control. Water Research 33(9): 2069–2074. , .
- 1985. An introduction to humic substances in soil, sediment and water. Humic Substances in Soil, Sediment and Water, AikenGR, McKnightD, WershawRL, MacCarthyP (eds). John Wiley & Sons: New York; 203. , , , .
- 1996. Photochemical and microbial consumption of dissolved organic carbon and dissolved oxygen in the Amazon River system. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 60(10): 1783–1792. , .
- 2001. Fluorescence excitation-emission matrix characterization of some sewage-impacted rivers. Environmental Science & Technology 35(5): 948–953. .
- 2002a. Fluorescence properties of some farm wastes: implications for water quality monitoring. Water Research 36(1): 189–195. .
- 2002b. Spectrophotometric discrimination of river dissolved organic matter. Hydrological Processes 16(16): 3203–3213. .
- 2002c. Fluorescence excitation—emission matrix characterization of river waters impacted by a tissue mill effluent. Environmental Science & Technology 36(7): 1377–1382. .
- 2005. Thermal fluorescence quenching properties of dissolved organic matter. Water Research 39(18): 4405–4412. .
- 2004. Fluorescence of leachates from three contrasting landfills. Water Research 38(10): 2605–2613. , .
- 2004. Protein-like fluorescence intensity as a possible tool for determining river water quality. Hydrological Processes 18(15): 2927–2945. , .
- 2004. Characterization of dissolved organic matter from source to sea using fluorescence and absorbance spectroscopy. Science of the Total Environment 333(1–3): 217–232. , .
- 2003. Detecting river pollution using fluorescence spectrophotometry: Case studies from the Ouseburn, NE England. Environmental Pollution 124(1): 57–70. , , , .
- 2004. Measurement of protein-like fluorescence in river and waste water using a handheld spectrophotometer. Water Research 38(12): 2934–2938. , , , , , .
- 1998. Dissolved organic matter and its optical properties in a blackwater tributary of the upper Orinoco river, Venezuela. Organic Geochemistry 28(9–10): 561–569. .
- 2004. Predicting organic loading in natural water using spectral fluorescent signatures. Journal of Hazardous Materials B108(3): 207–211. , .
- 1999. Do photochemical transformations of dissolved organic matter produce biorefractory as well as bioreactive substrates? 8th International Symposium on Marine Ecology. , .
- 2004. Influence of solar radiation on the availability of dissolved organic matter to bacteria in the Southern Ocean. Deep Sea Research II 51(22–24): 2557–2568. , , .
- 1999. Total luminescence spectroscopy of NOM-typing samples and their aluminium complexes. Environment International 25(2–3): 285–293. , , .
- 2004. Examining CDOM fluorescence variability using principal component analysis: seasonal and regional modelling of three-dimensional fluorescence in the Gulf of Mexico. Marine Chemistry 89(1–4): 3–14. , , , .
- 2002. Principal filter analysis for luminescence excitation emission data. Geophysical Research Letters 29(24): Art. No. 2156. , .
- 2004. Fluorescent dissolved organic matter in lakes: relationship with heterotrophic metabolism. Limnology and Oceanography 49(6): 2034–2045. , , , .
- 1999. In situ fluorescence measurements in coastal waters. Organic Geochemistry 30(6): 397–409. .
- 2002. A time-resolved fluorescence study of dissolved organic matter in a riverine to marine transition zone. Marine Chemistry 78(2–3): 121–135. , , , , , .
- 1996. Characterization of marine and terrestrial DOM in seawater using excitation-emission matrix spectroscopy. Marine Chemistry 51(4): 325–346. .
- 1986. Steady-state and decay characteristics of protein tryptophan fluorescence from bacteria. Applied Spectroscopy 40(1): 86–90. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Spectral identification and behaviour of dissolved organic fluorescent materials during estuarine mixing processes. Marine Chemistry 58(1–2): 51–58. , , .
- 1999. Analysis of the optical properties of the Orinoco River plume by absorption and fluorescence spectroscopy. Marine Chemistry 66(1–2): 35–51. , , , , .
- 2002. Photobleaching of chromophoric dissolved organic matter in natural waters: kinetics and modelling. Marine Chemistry 78(4): 231–253. , .
- 2004a. Spatial and seasonal distribution of chromophoric dissolved organic matter and dissolved organic carbon in the Middle Atlantic Bight. Marine Chemistry 89(1–4): 169–187. , .
- 2004b. On the origin of the optical properties of humic substances. Environmental Science & Technology 38(14): 3885–3891. , .
- 1998. Ultraviolet fluorescence excitation and emission spectroscopy of marine algae and bacteria. Marine Chemistry 62(1–2): 137–156. , , , .
- 2001. Fluorescence and FT-IR spectroscopic studies of Suwannee river fulvic acid complexation with aluminium, terbium and calcium. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry 87(1–2): 81–96. , .
- 2006. Thermal quenching of fluorescence of freshwater, planktonic bacteria. Analytica Chimica Acta 564: 219–225. , , .
- 2003. Correlating protein structure and protein fluorescence. Journal of Fluorescence 13(1): 9–16. .
- 1998. Fluorescence quenching of anthropogenic fulvic acids by Cu(II), Fe(III) and UO. Talanta 45(6): 1155–1165. , , , .
- 1996. Relationship between the optical properties of chromophoric dissolved organic matter and total concentration of dissolved organic carbon in the southern Baltic Sea region. Marine Chemistry 55(3–4): 299–316. , , , .
- 1998. Multivariate calibration applied to synchronous fluorescence spectrometry. Simultaneous determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in water samples. Talanta 45(6): 1073–1080. , , .
- 2001. Degradation characteristics of humic acid during photo-fenton processes. Environmental Science & Technology 35(18): 3683–3690. , , .
- 1998. Detection of domestic wastes in Kurose River using synchronous fluorescence spectroscopy. Water Research 32(7): 2232–2239. , , , , , .
- 1998. Factors influencing photoreactions of dissolved organic matter in a coastal river of the Southeastern United States. Environmental Science & Technology 32(19): 2940–2946. , .
- 2000. Measurement of aquatic humus content by spectroscopic analysis. Water Research 34(1): 246–258. , , .
- 2003. Characterization of DOM as a function of MW by fluorescence EEM and HPLC-SEC using UVA, DOC, and fluorescence detection. Water Research 37(17): 4295–4303. , , , , .
- 2004. Source characterization of dissolved organic matter in a subtropical mangrove-dominated estuary by fluorescence analysis. Marine Chemistry 84(3–4): 195–210. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Humification indices of water-soluble fulvic acids derived from synchronous fluorescence spectra—effects of spectrometer type and concentration. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science-Zeitschrift Fur Pflanzenernahrung Und Bodenkunde 164(3): 259–265. , .
- 2000. A comparative characterization of dissolved organic matter by means of original aqueous samples and isolated humic substances. Chemosphere 40(12): 1305–1312. , , .
- 1949. Fluoreszenz und Gelbstoff im Bottnischen und Finnischen Meerbusen. Deutsche Hydrographische Zeitschrift 2: 117–124. .
- 2002. Determining the sources of stormflow from the fluorescence properties of dissolved organic carbon in a forested headwater catchment. Journal of Hydrology 268(1–4): 192–202. , .
- 1997. Photooxidation of triglycerides and fatty acids in seawater: implication toward the formation of marine humic substances. Limnology and Oceanography 42(6): 1454–1462. , , .
- 2002. Fluorescence characteristics of organic matter released from coastal sediments during resuspension. Marine Chemistry 79(2): 81–97. , , .
- Lakowicz. 1999. Principle of Fluorescence Spectroscopy 2nd Edition. Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers: New York.
- 1999. Fluorescence spectroscopy of high performance liquid chromatography fractionated marine and terrestrial organic materials. Water Research 33(2): 512–520. , .
- 2000. Application of fluorescence technique for rapid identification of DOM fractions in source waters. Journal of Environmental Engineering 126(11): 1039–1044. , .
- 2000. Rapid identification of dissolved organic matter fractions in water by spectral fluorescent signatures. Water Research 34(14): 3543–3550. , , .
- 2002. Hydrogeochemical controls on the variations in chemical characteristics of natural organic matter at a small freshwater wetland. Chemical Geology 187(1–2): 59–77. , , , .
- 1999. Dissolved protein fluorescence in two Maine estuaries. Marine Chemistry 64(3): 171–179. , , .
- 2002. Determination of apparent quantum yield spectra for the formation of biologically labile photoproducts. Limnology and Oceanography 47(2): 343–352. , , , , .
- 1996. Fluorescence characterization of IHSS humic substances: total luminescence spectra with absorbance correction. Environmental Science & Technology 30(10): 3061–3065. , , , .
- 2001. Spectrofluorimetric determination of chlorophylls and pheopigments using parallel factor analysis. Talanta 54(1): 161–170. , , .
- 1996. Effects of cross-flow filtration on the absorption and fluorescence properties of seawater. Marine Chemistry 55(1–2): 53–74. , , , .
- 2000. Carbon loss and optical property change during long-term photochemical and biological degradation of estuarine organic matter. Limnology and Oceanography 45(6): 1254–1264. , , .
- 1999. Three-dimensional fluorescence of the dissolved organ carbon in the Amazon River. Water Research 33(6): 1523–1533. , , , , .
- 1999. Imaging of humic substance macromolecular structures in water and soils. Science 286(5443): 1335–1337. , , , .
- 2003. Characteristics of humic substances in the Kuji River waters as determined by high-performance size exclusion chromatography with fluorescence detection. Water Research 37(17): 4159–4170. , , , , .
- 2001. The potential role of freshwater luminescence measurements in exploring runoff pathways in upland catchments. Hydrological Processes 15(6): 989–1002. , , .
- 2004. Second-order advantage achieved with four-way fluorescence excitation-emission-kinetic data processed by parallel factor analysis and trilinear least-squares. Determination of methotexate and leucovorin in human urine. Analytical Chemistry 76(19): 5657–5666. , , , , .
- 2000. Dissolved organic matter fluorescence spectroscopy as a tool to estimate biological activity in a coastal zone submitted to anthropogenic inputs. Organic Geochemistry 31(12): 1765–1781. , , , .
- 2002. Excitation-emission fluorescence matrix to study pH influence on organic matter fluorescence in the Amazon basin rivers. Water Research 36(10): 2571–2581. , , .
- 2004. Effects of UV-visible irradiation on natural organic matter from the Amazon basin. Science of the Total Environment 321(1–3): 231–239. , , , .
- 1997. Effects of a sewage plume on the biology, optical characteristics, and particle size distributions of coastal waters. Journal of Geophysical Research 102(C11): 25,061–25,071. , , , , .
- 2000. Investigation of metal ions binding of humic substances using fluorescence emission and synchronous-scan spectroscopy. Journal of Environmental Science and Health: Part B 35(1): 87–102. , .
- 1997. Physicochemical variations in DOM-synchronous fluorescence: implications for mixing studies. Limnology and Oceanography 42(8): 1766–1773. , .
- 2002. The differentiation of biodegradable and non-biodegradable dissolved organic matter in wastewaters using fluorescence spectroscopy. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology 77(8): 965–972. .
- 2003. Rapid and direct determination of tryptophan in water using synchronous fluorescence spectroscopy. Water Research 37(13): 3055–3060. .
- 1995. Effect of metal ions on the fluorescence of sewage wastewater. Water Research 29(9): 2214–2216. , .
- 1997. Rapid and direct determination of wastewater BOD values using a fluorescence technique. Water Research 31(8): 2012–2018. , .
- 1989. Spectroscopic and compositional comparative characterization of I.H.S.S. reference and standard fulvic and humic acids of various origin. The Science of the Total Environment 81–82: 143–156. , , , .
- 1991. Characterization, differentiation and classification of humic substances by fluorescence spectroscopy. Soil Science 152(4): 259–271. , , , .
- 1999. Effects of aluminium-induced aggregation on the fluorescence of humic substances. Environmental Science & Technology 33(18): 3264–3270. , .
- 1980. Identification of fluorescence pseudomonas species. Clinical Chemistry 26(8): 1127–1132. , , .
- 1980. Multiparameter approach to the “fingerprinting” of fluorescent pseudomonads. Clinical Chemistry 26(10): 1419–1424. , , .
- 1996. Photobleaching of fluorescence and the organic carbon concentration in a coastal environment. Marine Chemistry 55(3–4): 333–345. , , .
- 2004. Detection of Bacillus endospores using total luminescence spectroscopy. Spectrochimica Acta Part A 60(11): 2517–2521. , , .
- 2003. Tracing dissolved organic matter in aquatic environments using a new approach to fluorescence spectroscopy. Marine Chemistry 82(3–4): 239–254. , , .
- 2005. Development and application of functional assays for freshwater dissolved organic matter. Water Research 39(18): 4559–4573. , , , .
- 2000. The development of a chemical 'fingerprint' to characterise dissolved organic matter in natural waters. Journal of Environmental Monitoring 2(5): 398–403. , , .
- 2005. Evaluation of humic acid photocatalytic degradation by UV-vis and fluorescence spectroscopy. Catalysis Today 101(3–4): 267–274. , .
- 2002. On the use of fluorescence measurements to characterize wastewater. Water Science and Technology 45(4–5): 109–116. , .
- 1987. Environmental effects on laser-induced fluorescence spectra of natural waters. Remote Sensing of Environment 21(1): 83–95. , .
- 2004. Photodegradation of DOC in a shallow prairie wetland: evidence from seasonal changes in DOC optical properties and chemical characteristics. Biogeochemistry 69(2): 263–284. , .
- 2001. Fluorescence analysis of a standard fulvic acid and tertiary treated wastewater. Journal of Environmental Quality 30(6): 2037–2046. , , .
- 1973. Effects of molecular structure and molecular environment on fluorescence. In Practical Fluorescence: Theory, Methods, and Techniques, GuilbaultGG. (ed). Marcel Dekker: New York; 79–136. .
- 2003. Role of the photo-Fenton reaction in the production of hydroxyl radicals and photobleaching of colored dissolved organic matter in a coastal river of the southeastern United States. Aquatic Sciences 65(4): 402–414. , , .
- 2003. Separation and characterization of NOM by high-performance liquid chromatography and on-line three-dimensional excitation emission matrix fluorescence detection. Environmental Science & Technology 37(16): 3687–3693. , , .
- 2003. Chemical characterization of protein-like fluorophores in DOM in relation to aromatic amino acids. Marine Chemistry 82(3–4): 255–271. , .
- 2000. Fluorescence fingerprint of waters: excitation-emission matrix spectroscopy as a tracking tool. Applied Spectroscopy 54(10): 1539–1542. , , .
- 1995. Concentration effect on the fluorescence spectra of humic substances. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 26(15–16): 2333–2349. , .
- 2004. Seasonal variation in molecular mass and optical properties of chromophoric dissolved organic material in coastal waters of southwest Florida. Marine Chemistry 89(1–4): 37–54. , , .