EVALUATION OF SPAWNING SUBSTRATE ENHANCEMENT FOR WHITE STURGEON IN A REGULATED RIVER: EFFECTS ON LARVAL RETENTION AND DISPERSAL
Article first published online: 7 NOV 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
River Research and Applications
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 1–10, January 2014
How to Cite
Crossman, J. A. and Hildebrand, L. R. (2014), EVALUATION OF SPAWNING SUBSTRATE ENHANCEMENT FOR WHITE STURGEON IN A REGULATED RIVER: EFFECTS ON LARVAL RETENTION AND DISPERSAL. River Res. Applic., 30: 1–10. doi: 10.1002/rra.2620
- Issue published online: 6 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 7 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 8 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 MAR 2012
- 2002. The first endangered white sturgeon population; repercussions in an altered large river-floodplain ecosystem. In Biology, Management and Protection of North American Sturgeon, Van Winkle W, Anders PJ, Secor DH, Dixon DA (eds). American Fisheries Society: Bethesda; 67–82. , , .
- 2002. Duration and drift of larval lake sturgeon in the Sturgeon River, Michigan. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 18: 557–564. , .
- 1988. Streamflow regulation and fish community structure. Ecology 69: 382–392. , , .
- 1963. The influence of egg size on herring larvae (Clupea harengus). Journal Conseil International pour l'Exploration de la Mer 28: 211–240. DOI: 10.1093/icesjms/28.2.211 , .
- 1984. Columbia River white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus) enhancement. Bonneville Power Administration, Project 1983-31600, BPA Report DOE/BP-363, Portland, Oregon. , , .
- 2009. Comparison of methods for analyzing salmon habitat rehabilitation designs for regulated rivers. River Research and Applications 25: 745–772. , .
- 2008. Strategy for conservation of sturgeon under the conditions of the Kuban River flow regulation. In Fish elevators: A tool for overcoming barriers for large migratory species, Rosenthal H, Bronzi P, Spezia M, Poggioli C (eds). World Sturgeon Conservation Society, Special Publication No. 2. pp. IV, 165; 70–82. Available at: http://www.boku.ac.at/hfa/lehre/812370_gewaesseroekologisches_seminar/Passages_for_fish_ocr.pdf (accessed on 20 Feb 2012). , , .
- 1988. Hatchery manual for the white sturgeon Acipenser transmontanus Richardson with application to other North American Acipenseridae. Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of California, Oakland, CA. , , , .
- 2004. A riparian habitat hypothesis for successful reproduction of white sturgeon. Reviews in Fisheries Science 12: 23–73. .
- 2008. Evaluating collection, rearing, and stocking methods for lake sturgeon (Acipenser fulvescens) restoration programs in the great lakes. PhD Diss, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI. .
- 2011. Effects of the development of a newly created spawning ground in the Des Prairies River (Quebec, Canada) on the reproductive success of lake sturgeon (Acipenser fulvescens). Journal of Applied Ichthyology 27: 394–404. , , , , , , , , .
- Environnement Illimité Inc. 2010. Investigation of Lake Sturgeon Activities at Iroquois Dam on the St. Lawrence River in 2009 – Final Report. Prepared for New York Power Authority, 123 Main St., White Plains, NY 10601.
- FFSBC. 2011. Columbia white sturgeon conservation aquaculture program. Fresh Water Fisheries of British Columbia (FFSBC). Report prepared by BC Hydro Generation, Water Licence Requirements, Castlegar, BC; 44 p. + 2 app.
- 1985. Management of the lake sturgeon, Acipenser fulvescens, population in the Lake Winnebago system, Wisconsin. In North American Sturgeons: Biology and Aquaculture Potential, Binkowski FP, Doroshov SI (eds). Dr W. Junk Publishers: Dordrecht; 135–146. , .
- 2011. CLBMON-16 Middle Columbia River Fish Population Indexing Surveys – 2010 Investigations. Report prepared by BC Hydro Generation, Water Licence Requirements, Revelstoke, BC. Golder Report No. 10-1492-0079F; 54 p. + 5 app. , .
- 1995. An artificial riffle as restored habitat for the threatened Neosho madtom. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 15: 449–503. , .
- 2005. Effects of Turbidity, Light Level, and Cover on Predation of White Sturgeon Larvae by Prickly Sculpins. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 134: 369–374. , .
- Golder Associates Ltd. 2006. A synthesis of white sturgeon investigations in Arrow Lakes Reservoir, B.C. 1995 – 2003. Report prepared for BC Hydro, Castlegar, B.C. Golder Report No. 041480016F; 61 p. + plates + 11 app.
- Golder Associates Ltd. 2008. Lower Columbia River white sturgeon early life history sampling: 2007 investigations. Report prepared for BC Hydro, Revelstoke, B.C. Golder Report No. 07-1480-0036F; 13 p. + 1 app.
- Golder Associates Ltd. 2011. Middle Columbia River white sturgeon spawn monitoring: 2010 investigations. Report prepared for BC Hydro, Castlegar, B.C. Golder Report No. 10-1492-0061F; 17 p. + 1 app.
- Golder Associates Ltd. 2012. Middle Columbia River White Sturgeon Spawning Habitat Assessment. Report prepared for BC Hydro, Castlegar, B.C. Golder Report No. XX; XX p.
- 1998. An analysis of artificial riffles and enhancement of benthic community diversity by physical habitat simulation (PHABSIM) and direct observation. Regulated Rivers: Research & Management 14: 69–77. , , .
- 2008. Summary and Key Findings of Upper Columbia River White Sturgeon Recruitment Failure Hypothesis Review. Prepared for the Upper Columbia River White Sturgeon Technical Working Group; 27 p. , .
- 2002. Sturgeon conservation: insights from elasticity analyses. In Biology, management, and protection of North American sturgeon, Van Winkle W, Anders P, Secor DH, Dixon D (eds). American Fisheries Society, Symposium 28: Bethesda, Maryland; 13–29. , , , , .
- 2005. Key uncertainties in gravel augmentation: Geomorphological and biological research needs for effective river restoration, report. CALFED Sci. Program, Sacramento, Calif.; 99 pp. , , , , , .
- 1999. Status and management of white sturgeon in the Columbia River in British Columbia, Canada: an overview. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 15: 164–172. , , .
- 2007. Lake Roosevelt white sturgeon recovery project. Annual Progress Report, April 2005 - March 2006. Prepared for the U.S. Department of Energy, Bonneville Power Administration, Environment, Fish and Wildlife. Project Number: 1995-027-00; 96 p. + 7 app. , .
- 2002. Success of hatchery-reared juvenile white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus) following release in the Kootenai River, Idaho. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 18: 642–650. , , , , .
- 2007. Population Status of White Sturgeon in the Lower Columbia River within Canada. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 136: 1472–1479. , , .
- 2001. Channel-bed elevation changes downstream from large reservoirs in Kansas. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 01–4205. .
- 2010. A review of lake sturgeon habitat requirements and strategies to protect and enhance sturgeon habitat. Fisheries Policy Section, Biodiversity Branch. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. Peterborough, Ontario; 58 p. + appendices. , , .
- 2010. Ontogenetic behavior of Kootenai River White Sturgeon, Acipenser transmontanus, with a note on body color: A laboratory study. Environmental Biology of Fishes 88: 65–77. , , .
- 1995. Down-stream ecological effects of dams, a geomorphic perspective. BioScience 45: 183–192. , , .
- 1992. Effects of sediment transport on survival of salmonid embryos in a natural stream: A simulation approach. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 49: 2337–2344. , .
- 1998. An action spectrum for the light-dependent inhibition of swimming behavior in newly hatched white sturgeon, Acipenser transmontanus. Vision Research 38: 11–114. , .
- 2011. Effects of substrate condition on habitat use and survival by white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus) larvae and potential implications for recruitment. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 68: 812–822. .
- 2005. Linkages between white sturgeon recruitment and altered bed substrates in the Nechako River, Canada. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 134: 1448–1456. , , .
- 1996. Aquatic habitat measurements. In Fisheries techniques, Murphy BR, Willis DW (eds). American Fisheries Society: Bethesda; 83–120. , , .
- 2005. Effects of gravel augmentation on macroinvertebrate assemblages in a regulated California River. River Research and Applications 21: 61–74. , .
- 2004. Evaluation of a Spawning Habitat Enhancement Site for Chinook Salmon in a Regulated California River. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 24: 397–407. , .
- 2004. Predicting benefits of spawning-habitat rehabilitation to salmonid (Oncorhynchus spp.) fry production in a regulated California River. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 61(8): 1433–1446. , , , .
- 2002. Flow-sediment-biota relations: Implications for river regulation effects on native fish abundance. Ecological Applications 12: 1719–1739. , , , .
- 2005. Status, population dynamics, and future prospects of the endangered Kootenai River white sturgeon population with and without hatchery intervention. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 134: 518–532. , , .
- 1993. Spawning and rearing habitat use by white sturgeons in the Columbia River downstream from McNary Dam. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 122: 217–227. , , .
- 2011. Mid Columbia Sturgeon Incubation and Rearing Study (Year 2). Report prepared for BC Hydro, Castlegar, B.C.; 23 p. + 1 app. , , .
- 1997. The natural flow regime: a paradigm for river conservation and restoration. BioScience 47: 769–784. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Restoration of Spawning Habitats of Brown Trout (Salmo trutta) in a Regulated Chalk Stream. River Research and Applications, published online 29 September 2011. DOI: 10.1002/rra.1594. , , , , .
- R.L. & L. Environmental Services Ltd. 1994. Fish stock and habitat assessments of the Columbia River below Revelstoke Canyon Dam. Prepared for BC Hydro, Environmental Resources, Burnaby, BC. R.L. & L. Report No. 340F; 99 pp + appendices.
- 2002. A Review of Stream Restoration Techniques and a Hierarchical Strategy for Prioritizing Restoration in Pacific Northwest Watersheds. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 22: 1–20. , , , , , .
- 2011. Lake sturgeon response to a spawning reef constructed in the Detroit River. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 27: 66–76. DOI: 10.1111/j.1439-0426.2011.01829.x , , , , , , , .
- 1973. Freshwater fishes of Canada. Bulletin of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 184. , .
- 2005. Characteristics of spawning lake sturgeon in the Upper Black River, Michigan. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 25: 301–307. , .
- Species at Risk Act (SARA). 2011. White sturgeon species profile. http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca/species/speciesDetails_e.cfm?sid=123. Site accessed February 13, 2012.
- 2002. Techniques for measuring substrate embeddedness. EMRRP Technical Notes Collection (ERDC TN-EMRRP-SR-36), U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center, Vicksburg, MS. http://www.wes.army.mil/el/emrrp; http://el.erdc.usace.army.mil/elpubs/pdf/sr36.pdf , .
- 1983. A new method of relating size of spawning gravel to salmonid embryo survival. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 3: 123–135. , .
- 2006. Validation of a critical assumption of the riparian habitat hypothesis for white sturgeon. U.S. Geological Survey, Scientific Investigations Report. SIR 2006-5225. , , , .
- 2004. Spawning habitat rehabilitation -I. Conceptual approach and methods. International Journal of River Basin Management 2: 3–20. , , .
- 1990. Fines in redds of large salmonids. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 119: 156–162. , , .