Effect of surface roughness in the determination of the mechanical properties of material using nanoindentation test
Article first published online: 8 JUL 2013
© Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Issue on Diverse Applications of Surface Metrology III
Volume 36, Issue 1, pages 134–149, January-February 2014
How to Cite
Xia, Y., Bigerelle, M., Marteau, J., Mazeran, P.-E., Bouvier, S. and Iost, A. (2014), Effect of surface roughness in the determination of the mechanical properties of material using nanoindentation test. Scanning, 36: 134–149. doi: 10.1002/sca.21111
- Issue published online: 4 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 8 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 JUN 2012
- China Scholarship Council (CSC). Grant Number: 2010008045
- 2008. Elastic and hardness anisotropy and the indentation size effect of pyrite (FeS2) single crystal. Acta Mater 56:2476–2487.
- 1941. On microhardness of solids at the limit of Kick's similarity law. Z Metallkd 33:135–144.
- 2005. Bootstrap analysis of the relation between initial adhesive events and long-term cellular functions of human osteoblasts cultured on biocompatible metallic substrates. Acta Biomater 1:499–510. ,
- 1999. Bootstrap analysis of FCGR, application to the Paris relationship and to lifetime prediction. Int J Fatigue 21:299–307. ,
- 2002. An unscaled parameter to measure the order of surfaces: a new surface elaboration to increase cells adhesion. Biomol Eng 19:79–83. , , , ,
- 2005. Multiscale functional analysis of wear: a fractal model of the grinding process. Wear 258:232–239. , ,
- 2007a. Roughness characteristic length scales of micro-machined surfaces: a multi-scale modelling. Sens. Actuator B-Chem 126:126–137. , ,
- 2007b. The first indenter-sample contact and the indentation size effect in nano-hardness measurement. Mater Sci Eng C 27:1448–1451. , ,
- 2008. Mechanical modelling of micro-scale abrasion in superfinish belt grinding. Tribol Int 41:992–1001. , ,
- 2009. Roughness characteristic length scales of belt finished surface. J Mater Process Technol 209:6103–6116. , , , ,
- 2012. The multi-scale roughness analyses and modeling of abrasion with the grit size effect on ground surfaces. Wear 286–287:124–135. , ,
- 2000. A review of analysis methods for sub-micron indentation testing. Vacuum 58:569–585.
- 2006. Critical review of analysis and interpretation of nanoindentation test data. Surf Coat Tech 200:4153–4165.
- 2003. Geometrically necessary dislocation and size-dependent plasticity. Scripta Mater 48:113–118. ,
- 1994. Recording hardness testing. Problems of measurement at small indentation depths. Phys Status Solidi A 146:537–548. , , ,
- 2010. Indentation size effect of hardness of metallic glasses. Mater Des 31:1563–1566. , , ,
- 1996. Indentation size effect: reality or artefact? J Mater Sci 31:3573–3577. ,
- 2006. Assessment of the constitutive law by inverse methodology: small punch test and hardness. J Nucl Mater 352:97–106. , , , ,
- 2011. Indentation size effect in bulk metallic glass. Scripta Mater 64:753–756. , , , , ,
- 2006. Comparing texture characterization parameters on their ability to differentiate ground polyethylene ski bases. Wear 261:398–409. ,
- 2008. Determination of the effective zero-point and the extraction of spherical nanoindentation stress–strain curves. Acta Mater 56:3523–3532. ,
- 1885. Das Gesetz der proportionalen Widerstände und seine Anwendungen: Felix.
- 2007. Influence of surface-roughness on indentation size effect. Acta Mater 55:3555–3562. , , , , ,
- 2005. Influence of tip bluntness on the size-dependent nanoindentation hardness. Scripta Mater 52:353–358. , , ,
- 1993. Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio of CVD diamond. Diamond Relat Mater 2:918–923. ,
- 2008. Investigations on indentation size effects using a pile-up corrected hardness. J Phys D Appl Phys 41:074027. , , , ,
- 2002. A review of nanoindentation continuous stiffness measurement technique and its applications. Mater Charact 48:11–36. ,
- 2001. Depth dependence of hardness in copper single crystals measured by nanoindentation. Scripta Mater 44:237–241. ,
- 2013. Quantification of first contact detection errors on hardness and indentation size effect measurements. Tribol Int 59:154–162. , , , ,
- 2006. Micro-and nanoindentation techniques for mechanical characterisation of materials. Int Mater Rev 51:209–245. ,
- 2003. The computer-based bootstrap method as a tool to select a relevant surface roughness parameter. Wear 254:450–460. , ,
- 2006. Differentiation of the surface topographies of pharmaceutical excipient compacts. Mater Sci Eng A 430:79–89. , , , , ,
- 1998. Indentation size effects in crystalline materials: a law for strain gradient plasticity. J Mech Phys Solids 46:411–425. ,
- 1985. Multiparameter representation of surface roughness. Wear 102:161–176.
- 2003. Improvement of mechanical strength of micro tools by controlling surface characteristics. Cirp Ann-Manuf Technol 52:467–470. , , , ,
- 1992. Improved technique for determining hardness and elastic modulus using load and displacement sensing indentation experiments. J Mater Res 7:1564–1583. ,
- 2010. Nanoindentation in materials research: past, present, and future. MRS Bull 35:897–907. ,
- 2004. Indenter tip radius effect on the Nix–Gao relation in micro- and nanoindentation hardness experiments. J Mater Res 19:3423–3434. , , , , ,
- 1996. P values: what they are and what they are not. Am Stat 50:203.
- 2005. Dental microwear texture analysis shows within-species diet variability in fossil hominins. Nature 436:693–695. , , , et al.
- 2000. Requirement of a robust method for the precise determination of the contact point in the depth sensing hardness test. Measurement 27:43–51.
- 2008. Micro-contact analysis for the initial contact in nanoindentation tests. Tribol Int 41:1247–1254. , ,
- 2004. The role of plastic deformation of rough surfaces in the size-dependent hardness. Acta Mater 52:57–68. , ,
- 2002. Surface effects on nanoindentation. J Mater Res 17:1716. ,