This paper was edited by former Editor Nancy W. Brickhouse.
Becoming a scientist: The role of undergraduate research in students' cognitive, personal, and professional development†
Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 91, Issue 1, pages 36–74, January 2007
How to Cite
Hunter, A.-B., Laursen, S. L. and Seymour, E. (2007), Becoming a scientist: The role of undergraduate research in students' cognitive, personal, and professional development. Sci. Ed., 91: 36–74. doi: 10.1002/sce.20173
- Issue online: 1 DEC 2006
- Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JUN 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 2 MAY 2006
- Manuscript Received: 9 NOV 2005
- NSF-ROLE grant (#NSF PR REC-0087611): “Pilot Study to Establish the Nature and Impact of Effective Undergraduate Research Experiences on Learning, Attitudes and Career Choice.”
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute special projects grant, “Establishing the Processes and Mediating Factors that Contribute to Significant Outcomes in Undergraduate Research Experiences for both Students and Faculty: A Second Stage Study.”
- 2002). “But what good came of it at last?”: How to assess the value of undergraduate research. Notices of the AMS, 49(10), 1252–1257. , & (
- 2004). Making a difference for minorities: Evaluation of an educational enrichment program. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 41(9), 861–881. , & (
- 2003). Alumni perceptions used to assess undergraduate research experience. The Journal of Higher Education, 74(2), 210–230. , & (
- 1999). Creating contexts for learning and self-authorship: Constructive developmental pedagogy. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University Press. (
- 2001). Making their own way: Narratives for transforming higher education to promote self-development. Sterling, VA: Stylus. (
- 2004). Evolution of a constructivist conceptualization of epistemological reflection. Educational Psychologist, 39(1), 31–42. (
- 1967). The social construction of reality. London: Penguin Press. , & (
- 1996). Towards a model of workplace learning: The learning curriculum. Studies in Continuing Education, 18(1), 43–58. (
- 2004). Transformations at work: Identity and learning. Studies in Continuing Education, 26(2), 309–326. , & (
- 1969). Symbolic interactionism: Perspectives and methods. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall. (
- 2002). The potential of Vygotsky's contributions to our understanding of cognitive apprenticeship as a process of development in adult vocational and technical education. Journal of Career and Technical Education, 19(1), 47–66. (
- Boyer Commission on Educating Undergraduates in the Research University (1998). Reinventing undergraduate education: A blueprint for America's research universities. S.S. Kenny (chair). State University of New York-Stony Brook.
- Boyer Commission on Educating Undergraduates in the Research University. (2002). Reinventing undergraduate education: Three years after the Boyer Report. S.S. Kenny (chair). State University of New York-Stony Brook.
- 1998). The university of learning: Beyond quality and competence in higher education. London: Kogan Page. , & (
- 2004). The university of learning: Beyond quality and competence in higher education (paperback ed.). London: RoutledgeFalmer. , & (
- 1989). Situated cognition and the culture of learning. Educational Researcher, 18(1), 32–42. , , & (
- 2003, Spring). Apprenticeship: Applications in adult education. Journal of Adult Education, 32(1), 29–43. , , , & (
- 2003). The influence of family, social and work socialization on construction of the professional development of young adults. Journal of Career Development, 29(4), 237–249. (
- 1933). Experience and education. New York: Macmillan. (
- 1938). How we think. Lexington, MA: Heath. (
- 2005). Developmental networks and professional identity: A longitudinal study. Career Development International, 10(6/7), 567–583. , & (
- 1991). La socialisation, construction des identités sociales et professionnelle. Paris: Armand Colin Editeur. (
- 1998). Introducing second-year chemistry students to research work through mini-projects. Journal of Chemical Education, 75(7), 866–869. , & (
- 1992). Cognitive apprenticeship: Implications for continuing professional development. New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education, 55, 41–49. , , & (
- 1990). Pedagogy of the oppressed. New York: Continuum. (
- 1967). Studies in ethnomethodology. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall. (
- 1988). Schooling and the struggle for public life: Critical pedagogy in the modern age. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press. (
- 2005). Space of influence: A framework for analysis of an individual's contribution within communities of practice. Higher Education Research and Development, 24(4), 293–307. (
- 1993). The undergraduate student as research assistant. Nurse Educator, 18(3): 18–21. , , , & (
- 2002). The relationship of undergraduate research participation to graduate and professional educational pursuit: An empirical study. Journal of College Student Development, 43(5), 614–631. , , & (
- 1993). Legitimate peripheral participation, instructionism and constructivism: Whose situation is it anyway? Educational Technology, 33(3), 33–38. (
- 2006, February 10–11). Benefits of participating in undergraduate research in science: A comparative analysis of student and faculty perceptions. Paper presented at the Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX. , , & (
- 2004, Spring). Undergraduates: Do research, publish! Cell Biology Education, 3, 24–27. , , , & (
- 2000). Evaluation of an undergraduate research experience: Perceptions of undergraduate interns and their faculty mentors. Journal of Educational Psychology, 92(1), 191–201. (
- 1997). Constructivism, workplace learning, and vocational education (ERIC Digest No. 181, Accession No. ED407573). Columbus, OH: ERIC Clearinghouse on Adult Career and Vocational Education. (
- 1990). The effects of an intensive research experience on the careers of talented undergraduates. Journal of Research and Development in Education, 24(1), 1–5. , & (
- 1991). Situated learning: Legitimate peripheral participation. Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University Press. , & (
- 2004a). Survey of Undergraduate Research Experiences (SURE): First findings. Cell Biology Education, 3, 270–277. (
- 2004b). What undergraduate research can tell us about research on learning. Retrieved March 30, 2005, from http://www.pkal.org/template2.cfm?c_id=1002 (
- 1934). Mind, self and society. Chicago: University Press of Chicago. (
- 1998). Undergraduate student-faculty research partnerships affect student retention. The Review of Higher Education, 22(1), 55–72. , , , , & (
- National Research Council, Committee on Undergraduate Science Education, Center for Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Education. (1999). Transforming undergraduate education in science, mathematics, engineering and technology. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
- National Research Council, Committee on Developments in the Science of Learning, Committee on Learning Research and Educational Practice, Commission on Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education. (2000). In J. D.Bransford, A. L.Brown, & R. R.Cocking (Eds.), How people learn: Brain, mind, experience and school, expanded edition. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
- National Research Council, Committee on Undergraduate Biology Education to Prepare Research Scientists for the 21st Century, Board on Life Sciences. (2003a). BIO2010: Transforming undergraduate education for future research biologists. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
- National Research Council, Committee on Recognizing, Evaluating, Rewarding and Developing Excellence in Teaching of Undergraduate Science, Mathematics, Engineering, and Technology, Center for Education, Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education. (2003b). In M. A.Fox & N.Hackerman (Eds.), Evaluating and improving undergraduate teaching in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
- National Science Foundation. (2000). NSF GPRA Strategic Plan, FY 2002–2006 (NSF Publication 0104). Retrieved March 25, 2005, from http://www.nsf.gov/od/gpra
- National Science Foundation. (2003a, March 30–April 1). Exploring the concept of undergraduate research centers: A report on the NSF workshop. Arlington, VA: Division of Chemistry, Office of Special Projects, Office of Multidisciplinary Activities, MPS Directorate.
- National Science Foundation. (2003b, August 2–4). Enhancing research in the Chemical sciences at predominantly undergraduate institutions. Report from the Undergraduate Research Summit. Lewiston, ME: Bates College.
- 1997). Searching for a prominent role of research in undergraduate education: Project interface. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, 8(1), 69–81. , , , , & (
- 2001, July). Measuring the impact of the undergraduate research experience on student intellectual development. Paper presented at Project Kaleidoscope Summer Institute, Snowbird, UT. (
- 2003). Pathways to the professorate: The development of faculty identity in education. Innovative Higher Education, (27)4, 235–252. (
- 2005, November). Evaluation of NSF support for undergraduate research opportunities: 2003 NSF-program participant survey (Draft Final Report to the NSF). Menlo Park, CA: SRI International. Retrieved February 19, 2006, from http://www.sri.com/policy/csted/reports/ (
- 1974). The structures of the life world. London: Heinemann. , & (
- 1998). The Ethnograph: A program for the computer-assisted analysis of text-based data (Version 5.0). Qualis Research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Scolari Sage Publications Software. (
- 2004). Establishing the benefits of research experiences for undergraduates in the sciences: First findings from a three-year study. Science Education, 88(4), 493–534. , , , & (
- 1987). Critical teaching and everyday life. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. (
- 1987). Qualitative analysis for social scientists. New York: Cambridge University Press. (
- 1978). Mind in society: The development of higher psychological processes. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. (
- 2002). Content analysis of undergraduate research student evaluations. Retrieved March 2005 from http://www.udel.edu/RAIRE , , & (
- 1998). Communities of practice: Learning, meaning and identity. Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University Press. (
- 2003). Definitions of undergraduate research. Retrieved April 12, 2006, from http://abacus.bates.edu/acad/depts/chemistry/twenzel/definition.pdf (
- 1976). The role of tutoring in problem solving. Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 17(1), 89–100. , , & (
- 2002a). Impact of undergraduate research experience in engineering. Journal of Engineering Education, 91(2), 151–157. , , , & (
- 2002b). Faculty perspectives regarding the undergraduate research experience in science and engineering. Journal of Engineering Education, 91(3), 291–297. , , , & (