This research was conducted as part of the Investigating and Questioning our World through Science and Technology (IQWST) project and the Center for Curriculum Materials in Science (CCMS).
Learning-goals-driven design model: Developing curriculum materials that align with national standards and incorporate project-based pedagogy†
Article first published online: 13 NOV 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 92, Issue 1, pages 1–32, January 2008
How to Cite
Krajcik, J., McNeill, K. L. and Reiser, B. J. (2008), Learning-goals-driven design model: Developing curriculum materials that align with national standards and incorporate project-based pedagogy. Sci. Ed., 92: 1–32. doi: 10.1002/sce.20240
Authorship is in alphabetical order with all authors contributing equally to the conceptualization of the paper.
- Issue published online: 7 DEC 2007
- Article first published online: 13 NOV 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 4 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Received: 5 JAN 2007
- National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: ESI 0101780, ESI 0439493, ESI 0227557
- AAAS. (1993). Benchmarks for science literacy. New York: Oxford University Press.
- AAAS. (2001). Atlas of scientific literacy. Washington, DC: American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- 2004). Inquiry in science education: International perspectives. Science Education, 88(3), 397–419. , , , , , (
- 2005). Science education for everyday life: Evidence-based practice. New York: Teachers College Press. (
- Anderson, L. W., & Krathwohl, D. R. (Eds.). (2001). A taxonomy for learning, teaching, and assessing: A revision of Bloom's taxonomy of educational objectives. New York: Longman.
- 1998). Doing with understanding: Lessons from research on problem- and project-based learning. Journal of the Learning Sciences, 7(3/4), 271–311. , , , , , (
- 2000). Scientific arguments as learning artifacts: Designing for learning from the web with KIE. International Journal of Science Education, 22, 797–817. , & (
- Black, P., & Atkin, J. M. (Eds.). (1996). Changing the subject: Innovations in science, mathematics and technology education. London: Routledge/OECD.
- 2006). Project-based learning. In R. K.Sawyer (Ed.), The Cambridge handbook of the learning sciences (pp. 333–354). New York: Cambridge University Press. , & (
- 1991). Motivating project-based learning: Sustaining the doing, supporting the learning. Educational Psychologist, 26, 369–398. , , , , , & (
- 1992). Design experiments: Theoretical and methodological challenges in creating complex interventions in classroom settings. The Journal of the Learning Sciences, 2(2), 141–178. (
- 2004). Struggle in natural environments: What will survive? In J.Krajcik & B. J.Reiser (Eds.), IQWST: Investigating and questioning our world through science and technology. Evanston, IL: Northwestern University. , , , , , & (
- 2003). Design experiments in educational research. Educational Researcher, 32(1), 9–13. , , , , & (
- 1989). Cognitive apprenticeship: Teaching the crafts of reading, writing, and mathematics. In L. B.Resnick (Ed.), Knowing, learning, and instruction: Essays in honor of Robert Glaser (pp. 453–494). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum. , , & (
- 2001). The systematic design of instruction (5th ed.). New York: Longman. , , & (
- Duschl, R. A., Schweingruber, H. A., & Shouse, A. W. (Eds.). (2007). Taking science to school: Learning and teaching science in grades K-8. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
- 2001). Learning-for-use: A framework for integrating content and process learning in the design of inquiry activities. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 38(3), 355–385. (
- 2002). Design research: What we learn when we engage in design. The Journal of the Learning Sciences, 11(1), 105–121. (
- 2006). Educational standards and the changing discourse on education: The reception and consequences of the PISA study in Germany. Oxford Review of Education, 32(5), 619–634. (
- 1999). School science and public understanding of science. International Journal of Science Education, 21(7), 755–763. , & (
- 2002). An investigation of software scaffolds supporting modeling practices. Research in Science Education, 32(4), 567–589. , , , , , & (
- 2005). Principles of instructional design. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth. , , , & (
- 2006). Usable assessments for teaching science content and inquiry standards. In M.McMahon, P.Simmons, R.Sommers, D.DeBaets, & F.Crowley (Eds.), Assessment in science: Practical experiences and education research (pp. 67–88). Arlington, VA: National Science Teachers Association Press. , , , , & (
- 2002). How well do middle school science programs measure up? Findings from Project 2061's curriculum review. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 39(6), 522–549. , & (
- 1997). Between systemic reforms and the mathematics and science classroom: The dynamics of innovation, implementation, and professional learning. Review of Educational Research, 67(2), 227–266. (
- 2003). Problem-based learning meets case-based reasoning in the middle-school science classroom: Putting learning by design into practice. The Journal of the Learning Sciences, 12(4), 495–547. , , , , , (
- 2007). Teaching science in elementary and middle school: A project-based approach. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum. , & (
- 2006). Scientific thinking and science literacy: Supporting development in learning in contexts. In W.Damon, R. M.Lerner, K. A.Renninger, & I. E.Sigel (Eds.), Handbook of child psychology (6th ed., Vol. 4) Hoboken, NJ: Wiley. , & (
- 2004). Internet environments for science education. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum. , , & (
- 2000). Computers, teachers, peers: Science learning partners. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum. , & (
- 2004). Inquiry-based science in the middle grades: Assessment of learning in urban systemic reform. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 41(10), 1063–1080. , , , , , (
- 1998). The nature of science in international science education standards. In W. F.McComas (Ed.), The nature of science in science education: Rationales and strategies (pp. 41–52). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer. , & (
- 1995). Improving education through standards-based reform. A report by the National Academy of Education panel on standards-based education reform. Stanford, CA: National Academy of Education, Stanford University. , & (
- 2004). How can I make new stuff from old stuff? In J.Krajcik & B. J.Reiser (Eds.), IQWST: Investigating and questioning our world through science and technology. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan. , , , , , & (
- 2007). Middle school students' use of appropriate and inappropriate evidence in writing scientific explanations. In M. C.Lovett & P.Shah (Eds.), Thinking with data (pp. 233–265). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum. , & (
- Scientific explanations: Characterizing and evaluating the effects of teachers' instructional practices on student learning. Journal of Research in Science Teaching. , & (in press).
- 2006). Supporting students' construction of scientific explanations by fading scaffolds in instructional materials. The Journal of the Learning Sciences, 15(2), 153–191. , , , & (
- 1998). Beyond 2000: Science education for the future. London: King's College. , & (
- 2004). Explaining explanations: Developing scientific literacy in middle-school project-based science reforms. In D.Strickland & D. E.Alvermann (Eds.), Bridging the gap: Improving literacy learning for preadolescent and adolescent learners in grades 4–12 (pp. 227–251). New York: Teachers College Press. , , , , , & (
- NRC. (1996). National Science Education Standards. Washington, DC: National Research Council.
- OECD. (2000). Measuring student knowledge and skills: The PISA 2000 assessment of reading, mathematical and scientific literacy. Paris: Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development.
- 2004). Enhancing the quality of argumentation in school science. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 41(10), 994–1020. , , & (
- 1998). What is understanding? In M. S.Wiske (Ed.), Teaching for understanding: Linking research with practice (pp. 39–58). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. (
- 2004). A scaffolding design framework for software to support science inquiry. The Journal of the Learning Sciences, 13(3), 337–386. , , , , , (
- 2001). BGuILE: Strategic and conceptual scaffolds for scientific inquiry in biology classrooms. In S. M.Carver & D.Klahr (Eds.), Cognition and instruction: Twenty-five years of progress (pp. 263–305). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum. , , , , , & (
- 2004). Achieving standards in urban systemic reform: An example of a sixth grade project-based science curriculum. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 41(7), 669–692. , & (
- 2003). Conceptual and epistemic aspects of students' scientific explanations. Journal of the Learning Sciences, 12(1), 5–51. (
- 2004). Explanation-driven inquiry: Integrating conceptual and epistemic scaffolds for scientific inquiry. Science Education, 88(3), 345–372. , & (
- 1991). Students' transition from an engineering model to a science model of experimentation. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 28, 859–882. , , & (
- 2005). Curriculum coherence: An examination of U.S. mathematics and science content standards from an international perspective. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 37(5), 525–559. , , & (
- 2005). Enacting reform-based science materials: The range of teacher enactments in reform classrooms. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 42(3), 283–312. , , & (
- 2004). On the content of task-structured curricula. In L. B.Flick & N. G.Lederman (Eds.), Scientific inquiry and nature of science: Implications for teaching, learning, and teacher education (pp. 221–248). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer. , , & (
- 2000). Constructing extended inquiry projects: Curriculum materials for science education reform. Educational Psychologist, 35, 165–178. , , , & (
- 1991). Systemic school reform. In S. H.Fuhrman & B.Malen (Eds.), The politics of curriculum and testing (pp. 233–267). Washington, DC: Falmer Press. , & (
- 2004). Standards deviation: How schools misunderstand education policy. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. (
- 2006). Teaching socioscientific issues: Classroom culture and students' performances. Cultural Studies of Science Education, 1(4), 615–644. , & (
- The Design-Based Research Collective. (2003). Design-based research: An emerging paradigm for educational inquiry. Educational Researcher, 32(1), 5–8.
- Tomorrow 98. (1992). Report of the superior committee on science, mathematics and technology education in Israel. Jerusalem: The Ministry of Education and Culture.
- 1967). Perspectives of curriculum evaluation. Chicago: Rand McNally. , , & (
- 1998). Understanding by design. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. , & (
- 2006). Systems for state science assessment. Washington, DC: National Academies Press. , & (
- 2002). Fostering students' knowledge and argumentation skills through dilemmas in human genetics. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 39(1), 35–62. , & (