Corporate Social Responsibility: An Uneasy Merger of Sustainability and Development
Article first published online: 17 APR 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd and ERP Environment
Special Issue: Critical Perspectives
Volume 21, Issue 2, pages 83–91, March/April 2013
How to Cite
Luke, T. W. (2013), Corporate Social Responsibility: An Uneasy Merger of Sustainability and Development. Sust. Dev., 21: 83–91. doi: 10.1002/sd.1558
- Issue published online: 17 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 17 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 29 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 12 OCT 2012
- Adiger WN, Jordan A (eds). 2009. Governing Sustainability. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
- 1980. How to Save the World: Strategy for World Conservation. Kogan Page: London. .
- 2011. Earth: the Operators’ Manual. Norton: New York. .
- 2006. Material worlds? Resource geographies and the ‘matter of nature’. Progress in Human Geography 30(5): 5–27. DOI: 10.1191/0309132506 ph58809 , .
- 1992. Risk Society. Sage: London. .
- 2002. Biomimicry: Innovation Inspired by Nature. Morrow: New York. .
- 2008. Understanding Sustainable Development. Earthscan: London. .
- 1966. The economics of the coming Spaceship Earth. In Environmental Quality in a Growing Economy, Jarrett H (ed.). Resources for the Future–Johns Hopkins University Press: Baltimore, MD; 3–14. .
- 2004. Governing Through Markets: Forest Certification and the Emergence of Non-State Authority. Yale University Press: New Haven, CT. , , .
- 1998. The privatization of global environmental governance: ISO 14000 and the developing world. Global Governance 4: 295–316. .
- 1971. The Closing Circle: Nature, Man, and Technology. Random House: New York. .
- 1990. Mapping Peace with the Planet. Pantheon: New York. .
- 1977. Steady-State Economics. Freeman: San Francisco. .
- 1996. Beyond Growth: the Economics of Sustainable Development. Beacon: Boston, MA. .
- 2006. Planet of Slums. Verso: London. .
- 2010. The Principles of Sustainability, 2nd edn. Earthscan: London. .
- 2005. The Sustainability Revolution: Portrait of a Paradigm Shift. New Society: Gabriola Island, BC. .
- 2009. Organizational Transformation for Sustainability: an Integral Metatheory. Routledge: New York. .
- 2010. Thriving Beyond Sustainability: Pathways to a Resilient Society. New Society: Gabriola Island, BC. .
- 1968. The Population Bomb. Sierra Club–Ballantine: New York. .
- 1997. Cannibals with Forks: the Triple Bottom Line of 21st Century Business. Wiley: New York. .
- 2009. Now or Never: Why We Must Act Now to End Climate Change and Create a Sustainable Future. Atlantic Monthly: New York. .
- 2007. The Politics of Truth, Lotringer S (ed.). Semiotext(e): New York. .
- 1984. Strategic Management: a Stakeholder Approach. Pittman: Boston, MA. .
- 1968. Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth. Dutton: New York. .
- 1972. Blueprint for Survival. Penguin: London. et al.
- 1992. Population, Technology and Lifestyles: the Transition to Sustainability. Island: Washington, DC. , , , .
- 1993. Forcing the Spring: the Transformation of the American Environmental Movement. Island: Washington, DC. .
- 2011. A review of utopian themes in sustainable development discourse. Sustainable Development. DOI: 10.1002/sd.522 , , .
- 2012. The Ecology of Commerce: a Declaration of Sustainability, rev. edn. Harper Business: New York. .
- 2011. The End of Growth: Adapting to Our New Economic Reality. New Society Publishers: Gabriola Island, BC. .
- 1976. Social Limits to Growth. Harvard University Press: Cambridge. .
- 2006. Living Green: a Practical Guide to Simple Sustainability. Freedom: Topanga, CA. .
- 2003. Organizational greening: critical issues. In Studying Management Critically, Alvesson M, Wilmutt H (eds). Sage: London; 157–176. , .
- 2006. The new corporate environmentalism and green politics. In Handbook of Organizational Studies, Clegg S, Hardy C, Lawrence T, Nord W (eds). Sage: London; 618–650. , , , .
- 2011. Integral responsibilities for a responsive and sustainable practice in organization and management. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management 18: 137–150. .
- 2008. Sustainable Value: How the World's Leading Companies are Doing Well by Doing Good. Stanford University Press–Stanford Business: Stanford, CA. .
- 2012. Everyday Environmentalism: Creating an Urban Political Ecology. University of Minnesota Press: Minneapolis, MN. .
- 1997. Ecocritique: Contesting the Politics of Nature, Economy, and Culture. University of Minnesota Press: Minneapolis, MN. .
- 1999. Capitalism, Democracy, and Ecology: Departing from Marx. University of Illinois Press: Urbana, IL. .
- 2000. Rough road out of Rio: the right-wing reaction in the United States against global environmentalism. In Consuming Cities, Low N, Gleeson B, Elancer I, Lidskog R (eds). Routledge: London; 54–69. .
- 2009. Developing planetarian accountancy: fabricating nature as stock, service, and system for green governmentality. Current Perspectives in Social Theory 26: 129–159. .
- 2012. How college leaders can bring sustainability to campuses. The Chronicle of Higher Education 23 July. http://chronicle.com/article/how-leaders-can-bring/133007 , .
- 2008. Green Chic: Saving the Earth in Style. Sourcebooks: Naperville, IL. .
- 2002. Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things. North Point: San Francisco. , .
- 1972 The Limits to Growth: a Report of the Club of Rome's Project on the Predicament of Mankind. Universe: New York. , et al.
- 1909. Of the stationary state. In Principles of Political Economy, 7th edn. Longmans: London. http://www.econlib.org/library/Mill/mlP61.html#Bk.IV,Ch.VI .
- 2010. Treading Softly: Paths to Ecological Order. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA. .
- 2007. Making sense of corporate environmentalism: an environmental contestation approach to analyzing the causes and consequences of the climate change policy split in the oil industry. Organization and Environment 20: 1–40. .
- 2005. Sustainable development (1987–2005): an oxymoron comes of age. Sustainable Development 13: 212–237. .
- 2010. Green Gone Wrong: How Our Economy is Undermining the Environmental Revolution. Scribner: New York. .
- 2007. The Green Book: the Everyday Guide to Saving the Planet One Simple Step at a Time. Three Rivers: New York. , .
- 2011. ‘Sustainable consumption’ as a new phase in a governmentalization on consumption. Theory and Society 40: 669–699. DOI: 10-DO>/s11186-011-9153-5 .
- 2012. How to Think Seriously About the Planet: the Case for an Environmental Conservatism. Oxford University Press: Oxford. .
- 1981. The Ultimate Resource. Princeton University Press: Princeton, NJ. .
- 2011. Against Ecological Sovereignty, Ethics, Biopolitics, and Saving the Natural World. University of Minnesota Press: Minneapolis, MN. .
- 2006. Global Environmental Governance. Island: Washington, DC. , .
- 2005. Whom is sustainable development for? Unions and deliberative democracy. Sustainable Development 13: 271–281. .
- 2006. Structural limits to sustainable development: managers and progressive agency. International Journal of Innovation and Sustainable Development 1(1): 127–152. .
- 1965. Speech to UNESCO. Geneva 9 July. http://www.adlaitoday.org/articles/connect2_geneva_07-09-65.pdf .
- 2007. Shopping Our Way to Safety: How We Changed from Protecting the Environment to Protecting Ourselves. University of Minnesota Press: Minneapolis, MN. .
- T. Rowe Price Investor. 2012a. Finding sustainable growth. September: 6.
- T. Rowe Price Investor. 2012b. The growth of sustainability. September: 26.
- United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP). 1972. Declaration of the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment. www.unep.org/Documents.Multilingual/Default.asp?documentid=97&articleid=1503.
- 2005. The Market for Virtue: the Potential and Limits of Corporate Social Responsibility. Brookings Institution Press: Washington, DC. .
- 1966. Spaceship Earth. Columbia University Press: New York. .
- 1972. Only One Earth – the Care and Maintenance of a Small Planet. Deutsch: London. , .
- 1998. The clean development mechanism and unwrapping the Kyoto surprise. Review of European Community and Environmental Law 7(2): 147–158. .
- World Commission on Environment and Development (WCED). 1989. Our Common Future, Oxford University Press: Oxford.
- 2012. Abundance on trial: the cultural significance of ‘sustainability’. The Hedgehog Review Summer: 8–25. .