Forest Spice Development: the Use of Value Chain Analysis to Identify Opportunities for the Sustainable Development of Ethiopian Cardamom (Korerima)
Article first published online: 4 OCT 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd and ERP Environment
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 1–15, January/February 2015
How to Cite
2015), Forest Spice Development: the Use of Value Chain Analysis to Identify Opportunities for the Sustainable Development of Ethiopian Cardamom (Korerima), Sust. Dev., 23, 1–15, doi: 10.1002/sd.1563, and (
- Issue published online: 23 FEB 2015
- Article first published online: 4 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 15 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 NOV 2012
- 2010. Market Chain Analysis of Red Pepper: the case of Bure Woreda, West Gojjam Zone, Amhara National Regional State, Ethiopia. Unpublished thesis, Haramay University. .
- ACP. 2010. Spice Sub-sector: A strategy for Ethiopia. Submitted to the Government of Ethiopia by the Spice Sector Strategy Coordinating Committee, February 2010.
- 2001. Common Property Institutions and Sustainable Governance of Resources. World Development 29(10): 1649–1672. .
- 2010. Mobile Phones and Economic Development in Africa. Centre for Global Development. WP NO. 211. http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1693963 [20 October 2012]. , .
- 2001. Local Clusters in Global Value Chains: The Causes and Consequences of Export Dynamism in Torreon's Blue Jeans Industry. World Development 29(11): 1885–1903. , .
- 2010. Integrating Poverty and Environmental Concerns into Value Chain Analysis: A Conceptual Framework. Development Policy Review 28(2): 173–194. , , , , .
- 2004. Tanzania Spice Crop Sector Review: Constraints, Potential and an Agenda for Support. Tanzania Diagnostic Trade Integration Study. Unpublished Final Report .
- 2009. Intervening in Value Chains: lessons from Zambia's Task Force on Acceleration of cassava utilisation. Journal of Development Studies 45(4): 593–620. , , .
- 2011. Developing entrepreneurship in value chains of cinnamum tamala (bay leaf): linking poor producers to markets of essential oils and spices. In Markets and Rural Poverty: upgrading in Value Chains, Mitchell J, Coles C (eds). Earthscan/IDRC: London. , , , .
- 2001. Participation in the New Tyranny? Zed Books: London. , .
- 2004. Biodiversity impacts of some agricultural commodity production systems. Conservation Biology 18: 17–37. .
- 2012. Supporting smallholders to access sustainable supply chains:lessons from the Indian Cotton Supply Chain. Sustainable Development. DOI:10.1002/sd.1540 , .
- 2001. Making Social Science Matter. Cambridge University Press: New York.
- 2009. A brief History of Spices in Ethiopia. Ethiopian e-journal for Research and Innovation Foresight. 1(1 December): 1114–1127.
- 2005. The Governance of global value chains. Review of International Political Economy 12(1): 78–104. , , .
- 2007. Subsector Supply Chains: operational diagnostics for a complex rural economy. In Transforming the Rural Nonfarm Economy, Haggblade S, Hazel P, Reardon T (eds). John Hopkins University Press: Baltimore. .
- 2010. Agro-Food Chain Interventions in Asia. A review and analysis of case studies. Working Paper, December 2010. UNIDO/IFAD Vienna. , , , , .
- 2010. Value chains, donor interventions and poverty reduction: a review of donor practice. IDS Research report, vol. 2010, no. 63. Brighton. Sussex. , .
- IFAD. 2009. Sharing and Documenting Good Practices in Value Chain Development. Documentation of Writeshop held in November 2009, IFAD, Asia Division.
- 2008. Economic Efficiency and Marketing Performance of Vegetables in Eastern and Central Parts of Ethiopia. Unpublished PhD thesis. University of Sweden. .
- 2001. A Handbook for value chain research. Report prepared for IDRC. IDS, Sussex, Brighton. , .
- 2008. Live Animal and Meat Export Value Chains for Selected Areas in Ethiopia. Constraints and Opportunities for Enhancing Meat Exports, Improving MARKET Opportunities. Discussion Paper No. 1. International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), Nairobi, Kenya. , , , .
- 2007. Value Chain Program Design:Promoting Market-based Solutions for MSME and Industry Competitiveness. USAID: Washington, DC.
- 2011. Swimming Upstream: Local Indonesian Production Networks in ‘Globalised’ Palm Oil Production. World Development 40(3):555–569. , , .
- 2006. Value Chain Analysis and Making Markets Work for the Poor: Poverty Reduction through Value Chain Promotion. GTZ: Eschborn. , .
- 2011. Markets and Rural Poverty: Upgrading in Value Chains. Earthscan: London. , .
- 2004. Industrial Clusters and Poverty Reduction: towards a methodology for poverty and social impact assessment of cluster development initiatives. IDS/UNIDO, Vienna. , .
- 2008. Global Private Regulation and Value-Chain Restructuring in Indonesian Smallholder Coffee Systems. World Development 36(9): 1607-1622.
- NTFP-PFM (Non-Timber Forest Products – Participatory Forest Management Project). 2012. (http://wetlandsandforests.hud.ac.uk/forests/ntfp_pfm/).
- 2010. Greening Garhwal through stakeholder engagement:the role of ecofeminism, community and the state in sustainable development. Sustainable Development 18: 12–19.
- 2009. What do Corporations have to do with Fair Trade? Positive and Normative Analysis from a Value Chain Perspective. Journal of Business Ethics 86: 3–26.
- 2011. Quantifying Value Chain Analysis in the context of livestock systems in developing countries. Food Policy 36: 214–222. , , , .
- 2010. A Value Chain Analysis of the Organic Cotton Industry: the case of UK retailers and suppliers. Ecological Economics 69: 2292–2302. , .
- 2008. A toolbox for Cation Research with small producers in Value Chains. Working paper 17. DIIS: Copenhagen. , , , , , .
- 2007. Donor Interventions in Value Chain Development. Working Paper. Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation: Berne.
- 2009. Handbook: promoting gender equitable opportunities in agricultural value chains. USAID: Washington DC. , , .
- 2012. Competitive Forests - making forests sustainable in South-West Ethiopia. International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology 19(6): 471–481. , , .
- 2005. Reaching the Marginalised? Gender value chains and ethical trade in African horticulture. Development in Practice 15(3 and 4): 559–571. , , , .
- 2005. Value Chain Analysis: an approach to supply chain improvement in agri-food chains. International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management 35(10): 744–761. .
- 2012. Sustainable Development: a role for market information systems for non-timber forest products. Sustainable Development 20(2): 128–140. , .
- 2010. Market Profile on Spices: Ethiopia. Addis Ababa. Research paper submitted to UNCTAD ITC. .