Rich pictures: a means to explore the ‘sustainable mind’?
Article first published online: 23 SEP 2010
Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. and ERP Environment
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 30–47, January/February 2013
How to Cite
Bell, S. and Morse, S. (2013), Rich pictures: a means to explore the ‘sustainable mind’?. Sust. Dev., 21: 30–47. doi: 10.1002/sd.497
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 23 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JUL 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 16 JUL 2010
- Manuscript Received: 2 JUN 2010
- 1997. Soft Information Systems and technologies Methodology, SISTeM: a case study on developing the electronic patient record. Requirements in Engineering 2: 1–22.
- 2003. Information Systems Development: Methodologies, Techniques and Tools. Third Edition. McGraw-Hill Education: Maidenhead. ,
- 1992. Towards an SSM Toolkit: rich picture diagramming. European Journal of Information Systems 1(6): 397. , ,
- 1979. Symlog: A system for the multiple level observation of groups. New York, Free Press. , ,
- 2007. Improving the discharge planning process: A systems study. Journal of Research in Nursing 12(6): 687–688.
- 1972. Steps to an Ecology of Mind: Collected essays in anthropology, psychiatry, evolution and epistemology. University of Chicago Press: Chicago.
- 2004. Making sustainable development evaluations work. Sustainable Development 12(4): 200–211.
- 2000. Finding out Rapidly: a soft systems approach to training needs analysis in Thailand. Development and Management. T. Wallace. Oxfam Publication in association with the Open University: Oxford.
- 2008. Systemic Approaches to Managing Across the Gap in the Public Sector: Results of an action research programme. Systemic Practice and Action Research 21(3): 227–240.
- 2003. Learning from Experience in Sustainability. The 2003 International Sustainable Development Research Conference, University of Nottingham, UK. ,
- 2007. Story Telling in Sustainable Development Projects. Sustainable Development 15: 97–110. ,
- 2008. Sustainability Indicators: Measuring the immeasurable. London, Earthscan. ,
- 2000. An Holistic Approach to the Management of Information Systems Development – a view using a soft sysems approach and multiple viewpoints. Systemic Practice and Action Research 13(2): 189–206. , ,
- 1961. Experiences in Groups and Other Papers. Basic Books: New York.
- 1994. The role of visual realism in communicating and understanding spatial change and process. In MacEachren AM and Taylor DRF (eds). Visualization in modern cartography: Setting the Agenda. Oxford, UK: Pergamon.
- 2006. A Simplified Version of the SYMLOG (R) Trait Rating Form. Psychological Reports 99(1): 46–50.
- 2007. The Consultant and the Consulting Process. The Bayswater Institute: London; Handout at the Midhurst Working Conference.
- 1999. Regarding rich pictures as tools for communication in information systems development. Computing and Information Systems 6(2): 85–104.
- 1992. Use your Head. BBC Publications: London.
- 1997. Soft Systems Methodology: Its Potential for Emancipatory Development. Australia and New Zealand Systems Society Conference, Institute of Continuing and TESOL Education, The University of Queensland: Brisbane, Australia. ,
- 1992. Rural Appraisal: rapid, relaxed and participatory. Institute of Development Studies: Brighton.
- 1997. Whose Reality Counts? Putting the first last. Intermediate Technology Publications: London.
- 2002. Participatory Workshops: A sourcebook of 21 sets of ideas and activities. Earthscan: London.
- 1972. Towards a Systems Based Methodology for Real-World Problem Solving. Journal of Systems Engineering 3(2): 87–116.
- 1975. The Development of Systems Thinking by Systems Practice – a methodology from an action research program. Progress in Cybernetics and Systems Research 2: 278–283.
- 1994. Varieties of Systems Thinking: The case of soft systems methodology. Systems Dynamics Review 10(2–3): 189–197.
- 1997. New Maps of Knowledge. University of Lancaster: Lancaster.
- 2001. The Emergent Properties of SSM in Use: A symposium by reflective practitioners. Systemic Practice and Action Research 13(6): 799–823.
- 2006. Learning for Action: A short definitive account of Soft Systems Methodology, and its use, practitioners, teachers and students. John Wiley and Sons Ltd: Chichester. ,
- 1981. Systems Thinking, Systems Practice. Chichester, Wiley.
- 1990. Soft Systems Methodology in Action. Wiley: Chichester. ,
- 1979. The Systems Approach: revised and updated. Dell Publishing Co. Inc.: New York.
- 2005. Modelling the Perceptual Component of Conceptual Learning: a coordination perspective. Cognition, Education and Communication Technology P. Gardenfors. Mahway NJ, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 109–146.
- 1995. Empowering People for Sustainable Development. In Managing Sustainable Development in South Africa Fitzgerald P, McLennan A, Munslow B, (eds). Oxford University Press: Cape Town.
- 2002. Drawing concerns: a structured rich picturing approach. IFIP WG8.6 Conference on Adoption and Diffusion of IT in an Environment of Critical Change, 1–3 Aug. 2002, Sydney, NSW, Australia, University of New South Wales. ,
- 2003. Groups, group members and individual decision processes: The effects of decision strategy, social interaction style and reception of decision-threatening information on post-decision processes. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology 44(5): 467–477.
- 2008. Understanding Diagrams: a pointer to the development of diagramming software. Visible Language 42(3): 265–284.
- 1970. Decision Emergence: Phases in group decision making. Speech Monographs 37: 53–66.
- 2008. If I had a rich picture: Insights into the use of ‘soft’ methodological tools to support the development of interprofessional education. Journal of Interprofessional Care 22(5): 488. ,
- 1983. Teaching Basic Thinking Skills. Journal of Learning Skills 22(2): 24–31.
- 1976. Creative Dreaming. Ballantine: New York.
- 1991. Revolutionary Change Theories: a multilevel exploration of the punctuated equilibrium paradigm. Academy of Management Review 16(1): 10–36.
- 2006. The Social Dimension in Ecosystem Managment: Strengths and weakness of human-nature mind maps. Human Ecology Review 13(2): 122–142.
- 1989. A Participative Application of Soft Systems Methodology: an action research project concerned with formulating an outline design for a learning centre in ICI chemicals and polymers. University of Lancaster: Lancaster.
- 1995. Soft Systems Methodology. In Critical Issues in Systems Theory and Practice, Ellis K, (ed.). Plenum: New York; 251–257.
- 2001. Visual Language and Converging Technologies in the Next 10–15 Years (and Beyond). The National Science Foundation Conference on Converging Technologies (Nano-Bio-Info-Cogno) for Improving Human Performance.
- 1993. Soft Systems: a non-computer view of decision support. Decision Support Systems for the Management of Grazing Lands. J. Stuth and B. Lyons. Paris, UNESCO. II: 83–121.
- 1989. Symlog. Theory and Method of Measuring Group and Organisational Communication. Management Communication Quarterly 2(4): 544–567. ,
- 2003. From Picture Processing to Interval Diagrams. IFTR PAS Reports, 4/2003, Warsaw.
- 1947. Frontiers in Group Dynamics. Human Relations 1: 5–41.
- 1992. Rich picture building in the soft systems methodology. European Journal of Information Systems 1(5): 351–360.
- 2007. Communicative planning – friend or foe? Obstacles and opportunities for implementing sustainable development locally. Sustainable Development 16(1): 35–43. ,
- 2002. Mapping Inner Space. Corwin Press: Thousand Oaks, CA. ,
- 1997. Knowing and Being. Open University.
- 1992. The Tree of Knowledge: the biological roots of human understanding. Shambhala: Boston. ,
- 1998. The rich picture of design activity. Automation in Construction 7(2–3): 157. ,
- 1980. Experiences in Visual Thinking. Wadsworth Inc.: Belmont, CA.
- 2001. An Idea Ahead of its Time: The histrory and development of soft systems methodology. Systemic Practice and Action Research 13(6): 733–756.
- 1994. An Analysis of Team Evolution and Maturation. The Journal of General Psychology 120(3): 277–291. , ,
- 1987. SYMLOG as an instrument of internal and external perspective taking – construct-validation and temporal change. International Journal of Small Group Research 3(2): 180–197.
- 2000. Differentiating Diagrams: A New Approach. Diagrams 2000. In An International Conference on the Theory and Application of Diagrams. University of Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Open University. 1987. T301 – Complexity Management and Change: a systems approach. Open University Systems Group. The Open University Press: Milton Keynes.
- Open University. 1997. Management Information Systems T843. Open University: Milton Keynes.
- Open University. 2000a. T306 Managing Complexity: a systems approach. Open University: Milton Keynes.
- Open University. 2000b. T552: Systems Thinking and Practice: Diagramming. Open University: Milton Keynes.
- Open University. 2004. T851 the Information Systems Toolkit. Open University: Milton Keynes.
- 2009. Greening Garhwal through stakeholder engagement: the role of ecofeminism, community and the state in sustainable development. Sustainable Development 18(1): 12–19.
- 1985. SYMLOG as a method of a team diagnosis of soccer teams. International Journal of Sports Psychology 16(4): 331–332.
- 1990. Creative Shared Vision. Dialog International Ltd.: Clarendon Hills, IL.
- 2009. Visualising Strategy: a classification of graphical roadmap forms. International Journal of Technology Management 47(4): 286–305. , , et al.
- 1998. A Critical Analysis of Soft Systems Methodology and its (Theoretical and Practical) Relationship with Phenomenology. Systemist 21: 187–207.
- 1995. Computer Produced Mind-Maps, Rich Pictures and Charts as Aids to Creativity. Creativity and Innovation Management 4(4): 242–250.
- 1984. Creative Visualization. Thorsons: London.
- 2001. Group Development: A review of the literature and a commentary on future research directions. Group Facilitation 3: 14–45.
- 1990. Soft Systems Techniques with a Sharp(er) Edge: Unit systems and systems properties. presented at the International Conference on Systems Management 90, Hong Kong.
- 2007. Applying rich picture diagrams to model case studies of construction projects. Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management 14(2): 164. ,
- 2009. Public transport service quality and sustainable development: a community stakeholder perspective. Sustainable Development 18(1): 51–61. ,
- 1965. Development Sequence in Small Groups. Psychological Bulletin 63: 384–399.
- 1977. Stages of Small Group Development Revisited. Group Organisational Studies 2: 419–427. ,
- 1983. The Visual Display of Quantitative Information. Graphics Press: Connecticut.
- 2003. Soft Systems: a fresh perspective for project management. Civil Engineering 156: 187–192. ,