Sustainability Assessment in the Construction Sector: Rating Systems and Rated Buildings
Version of Record online: 26 SEP 2011
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd and ERP Environment
Volume 20, Issue 6, pages 411–424, November/December 2012
How to Cite
Berardi, U. (2012), Sustainability Assessment in the Construction Sector: Rating Systems and Rated Buildings. Sust. Dev., 20: 411–424. doi: 10.1002/sd.532
- Issue online: 26 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 26 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 12 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Received: 6 MAY 2011
- 2010. Green Building Certification Programs, Pike Research Report 2Q. , .
- 2006. Designation of Environmentally Preferable Building Materials – Fundamental Change Needed Within LEED, Dovetail Partner Report. http://www.dovetailinc.org/documents/DovetailLEED0606.pdf [12 July 2011]. , , , .
- BRE. 2008. A Discussion Document Comparing International Environmental Assessment Methods for Buildings. BRE: Glasgow.
- 2010. Climatic change and the built environment. Advances in Building Energy Research 4(1): 45–75. DOI: 10.3763/aber.2009.0403 .
- 2008. The Kyoto Protocol, the CDM and the Building and Construction Industry, report for the UNEP Sustainable Buildings and Construction Initiative. UNEP. http://www.unep.org/sbci/pdfs/BuildingsandCDMreporte-version.pdf [12 July 2011]. , , , .
- 1998. Emerging trends in building environmental assessment methods. Building Research and Information 26(1): 3–16. DOI: 10.1080/096132198370065 .
- Construction Products Regulation (CPR) 305/2011/EEC. 2011. Construction Products Regulation CPD. European Commission: Strasbourg.
- 1999. Building environmental assessment methods: application and development trends. Building Research and Information 27(4/5): 300–308. DOI: 10.1080/096132199369417 , .
- 2000. Linking impact assessment and sustainable development at the local level: the introduction of sustainability assessment systems. Sustainable Development 8: 67–78. DOI: 10.1002/(SICI)1099-1719(200005) .
- 2011. Relationships between construction clients and participants of the building industry: structures and mechanisms of coordination and communication. Architectural Engineering and Design Management 7(1): 3–22. DOI: 10.3763/aedm.2009.0110 , , , .
- 2008. Sustainable construction – the role of environmental assessment tools. Journal of Environmental Management 86(3): 451–464. DOI: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2006.12.025 .
- Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA). 2007. Public Law: 110–140. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-110publ140/content-detail.html [12 July 2011].
- Energy Information Administration (EIA). 2010. International Energy Outlook 2010. US Department of Energy: Washington, DC. http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/highlights.html [12 July 2011].
- European Commission (EC). 2003. Directive 2002/91/CE of the European Parliament. Energy Performance of Buildings Directive. Official Journal of the European Communities, Strasbourg.
- European Commission (EC). 2010. Directive 2010/31/CE of the European Parliament. Energy Performance of Buildings Directive. Official Journal of the European Communities, Strasbourg.
- 2006. Sustainable Building Rating Systems Summary, PNNL-15858. Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, US Department of Energy: Richland, WA. , .
- 2005. Assessing sustainable buildings in developing countries – the sustainable building assessment tool (SBAT) and the sustainable building lifecycle (SBL). Proceedings of World Sustainable Building Conference, Tokyo. 1605–1612. .
- 2008. Research and solutions: LEED-ing away from sustainability: toward a green building system using nature's design. Sustainability 1(3): 196–201. DOI: 10.1089/SUS.2008.9959 .
- 2007. Sustainable Solar Housing, Vol. 1 – Strategies and Solutions. Earthscan: London. , .
- 2007. Dimensions of environmentally sustainable innovation: the structure of eco-innovation concepts. Sustainable Development 15(3): 148–159. DOI: 10.1002/sd.309 .
- 2010. From net energy to zero energy buildings: defining life cycle zero energy buildings (LC-ZEB). Energy and Buildings 42(6): 815–821. DOI: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2009.12.001 , .
- IPCC. 2007. Summary for Policymakers, Climate Change, IPCC WG1 Fourth Assessment Report. Cambridge University Press: New York. http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar4/wg1/ar4-wg1-spm.pdf [12 July 2011].
- ISO Standard 14020. 2000. Environmental Labels and Declarations – General Principles.
- ISO Standard 14040. 2006. Environmental Management – Life Cycle Assessment – Principles and Framework.
- ISO Standard 15392. 2008. Sustainability in Building Construction – General Principles.
- ISO Standard 15643–1. 2010. Sustainability of Construction Works – Sustainability Assessment of Buildings – Part 1: General Framework.
- ISO Standard 21931–1. 2010. Sustainability in Building Construction – Framework for Methods of Assessment for Environmental Performance of Construction Works – Part 1: Buildings.
- 2000. Multi-criteria and multi-perspective analysis of contaminated land management methods. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 60(1): 89–102. DOI: 10.1023/A: 1006152212344 , , .
- 2007. Self-regulatory institutions for solving environmental problems: perspectives and contributions from the management literature. In Governing the Environment: Interdisciplinary Perspectives, Delmas M, Young O (eds.). Cambridge University Press: New York. , .
- 2001. Sustainable Practices in the Built Environment, 2nd edn. Butterworth-Heinemann: Oxford. , .
- 2011. Zero Energy Building – a review of definitions and calculation methodologies. Energy and Buildings 43(4): 971–979. DOI: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2010.12.022 , , , , , , .
- McGraw-Hill Construction. 2008. Key Trends in the European and U.S. Construction Marketplace, SmartMarket Report. McGraw-Hill Construction: New York.
- 1996. Problems and fundamentals of sustainable development indicators. Sustainable Development 4(1): 1–11. DOI: 10.1002/(SICI)1099-1719(199603) .
- 2010. Barriers and opportunities for labels for highly energy-efficient houses. Energy Policy 38(8): 4592–4603. DOI: 10.1016/j.enpol.2010.04.015 , , .
- 1991. Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling Disruptive Products to Mainstream Customers. Harper: New York. .
- 2007. Cost of green revisited. Davis Langdom Report 2: 1–25. , .
- 2009. Do LEED-certified buildings save energy? Yes, but…. Energy and Buildings 41(8): 897–905. DOI: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2009.03.014 , , .
- 1990. Multicriteria Evaluation in Physical Planning. North Holland: New York. , , .
- 2007. Emergy analysis of building manufacturing, maintenance and use: Em-building indices to evaluate housing sustainability. Energy and Buildings 39(5): 620–628. DOI: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2006.10.004 , , , .
- 2003. Diffusion of Innovations, 5th edn. Free Press: New York. .
- 2005. The green edge – the green imperative. Environmental Design and Construction: 55–56. , .
- 2000. Project procurement systems in the attainment of sustainable construction. Sustainable Development 8(1): 39–50. DOI: 10.1002/(SICI)1099-1719(200002)8 , , .
- 2005. LEED is broken; let's fix it. Grist Environmental News and Commentary. http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2005/10/26/leed/index1.html [12 July 2011]. , .
- 2002. Evaluation of LEED Using Life Cycle Assessment Methods, NIST GCR 02–836. National Institute of Standard and Technologies. , .
- 2006. Technical Evaluation of Environmental Assessment Rating Tools, Project PN05.1019. Research and Development Corporation: Victoria. , , , , .
- 2009. How can the construction industry contribute to sustainable development? A conceptual framework. Sustainable Development 17(3): 161–173. DOI: 10.1002/sd.373 .
- 2006. Green building rating systems – a comparison of the LEED and Green Globes in the US. Proceedings of the Carpenters Industrial Council. , , , .
- 2011. Implementing sustainable development in the construction industry: constructors' perspectives in the US and Korea. Sustainable Development in press. DOI: 10.1002/sd.442 , , , .
- 2011. Objectives and indicators in sustainable development strategies: similarities and variances across Europe. Sustainable Development in press. DOI: 10.1002/sd.501 , .
- 1998. Estimation of life cycle energy consumption and CO2 emission of office buildings in Japan. Energy and Buildings 28(1): 33–41. DOI: 10.1016/S0378-7788(98)00010-3 , .
- 2008. Analysis of buildings' energy consumption by means of exergy method. International Journal of Exergy 5(5/6): 605–625. DOI: 10.1504/IJEX.2008.020828 , .
- 2010. Regeneration for sustainable communities? Barriers to implementing sustainable housing in urban areas. Sustainable Development 18(6): 319–330. DOI: 10.1002/sd.399 .