Determinants of Climate Change Disclosure by Developed and Emerging Countries in Asia Pacific
Article first published online: 2 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd and ERP Environment
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 188–204, May 2014
How to Cite
Amran, A., Periasamy, V. and Zulkafli, A. H. (2014), Determinants of Climate Change Disclosure by Developed and Emerging Countries in Asia Pacific. Sust. Dev., 22: 188–204. doi: 10.1002/sd.539
- Issue published online: 25 JUN 2014
- Article first published online: 2 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 5 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Received: 20 JUL 2011
- 2004. Gender diversity in the boardroom European Corporate Governance Institute, Finance Working Paper, 57. , .
- ADB. 2009. Building Climate Resilience in the Agriculture Sector in Asia and the Pacific. Asia Development Bank.
- 2003. Determinants of Environmental Reporting in Malaysia. International Journal of Business Studies 11(1): 69–90. , , .
- 2006. The association between firm-specific characteristics and disclosure: the case of Saudi Arabia. Managerial Auditing Journal 21(5): 476–496. .
- 2011. Evidence in development of sustainability reporting: a case of a developing country. Business Strategy and the Environment 20(3): 141–156. , .
- 2001. Algunos determinantes de la información medioambiental divulgada por las empresas españolas cotizadas. Revista de Contabilidad 4(7): 139–153. , .
- 1968. An empirical evaluation of accounting income number. Journal of Accounting Research 159–178. , .
- 2009 Organisational culture and leadership. Preconditions for the development of sustainable corporation. Sustainable Development 17(2): 102–113. .
- 1987. Linking issues and observations. Issues and observations 7. .
- 2003. Corporate governance, board diversity and firm value. The Financial Review 38: 33–53. , , .
- 2001. An examination of the relationship of governance mechanisms to performance. Journal of Management 27: 23–50. , , .
- 1992. The impact of size, stock market listing and industry type on disclosure in the annual reports of Japanese listed corporations. Accounting and Business Research 22(87): 229–237. .
- 2003. Corporate governance: decades of dialogue and data. Academy of Management Review 28: 371–382. , , .
- 1998. Meta-analytic reviews of board composition, leadership structure and financial performance Strategic Management Journal 19: 269–290. , , , .
- 1989. Agency Theory: an assessment and review. Academy of Management Review 14: 57–74. .
- 2007. Corporate boards and company performance: review of research in light or recent reforms. Corporate Governance an International Review 15: 865–878. , , .
- 2005. Global warming, commitment to the Kyoto protocol, and accounting disclosures by the largest global public firms from polluting industries. The International Journal of Accounting 40(3): 215–232. , .
- 2009. Global warming and corporate disclosures: a comparative analysis of companies from the European Union, Japan and Canada. Sustainability, Environmental Performance and Disclosures (Advances in Environmental Accounting & Management) 4: 129–160. , .
- 2009. Corporate governance practices that address climate change: an exploratory study. Business Strategy and the Environment 19(5): 335–350. .
- 1993. Top management team size, CEO dominance and firm performance: the moderating roles of environmental turbulence and discretion. Academy of Management Journal 36: 844–863. , .
- 1997. The Influence of Corporate Governance, Industry and Country Factors on Environmental Reporting. Scandinavian Journal of Management 13(2): 137–157. , .
- 2006. Corporate Governance Failure:How Would Effective Internal and External Monitoring Mechanism Help? Universiti Sains Malaysia: Georgetown. .
- 2004. The role of the board in firm strategy: integrating agency and organisation control perspectives. Corporate Governance an International Review 12: 500–520. , .
- 2003. Differences in environmental reporting practices in the UK and the US: the legal and regulatory context. The British Accounting Review 35: 1–18. , .
- 2005. Sustainable Development: mapping different approaches. Sustainable Development 13(1): 38–52. , , .
- 2006. Gender-related boardroom dynamics: how Scandinavian women make and can make contribution on corporate boards. Women in Management Review 21(2): 113–130. , .
- IEA. 2009. CO2 Emissions From Fuel Combustion Highlights. International Energy Agency.
- 2011. Corporate Report on Sustainability and Sustainable Development: “We have Arrived”. Sustainable Development. DOI: 10.1002/sd.524 , .
- IPCC. 2001. Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 881.
- 2002. An Empirical Investigation of Factors Influencing Voluntary Disclosure of Financial Information on the Internet in the GCC Countries. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=420700 or doi: 10.2139/ssrn.420700 [1 July 2002] .
- 1993. Presidential address: the modern industrial revolution, exit and the failure of internal control systems. Journal of Finance 48(3): 831–880. .
- 1976. Theory of the firm: managerial behaviour, agency costs and ownership structure. Journal of Financial Economics 3: 305–360. , .
- 2003. Board composition and corporate performance: how the Australian experience informs contrasting theories of corporate governance. Corporate Governance 11(3): 189–205. , .
- 2005. Evaluating boards and Directors. Corporate Governance an International Review 13: 613–631. , .
- 2008. Determinants of the adoption of sustainability assurance statements: an international investigation. Business Strategy and the Environment 19(3): 182–198. , .
- 2010. Institutionalisation of Corporate Social Responsibility in the Corporate Governance Code: the new Trend of the Dutch Model. Critical Studies on corporate Responsibility, Governance and Sustainability 1: 145–179. .
- 2002. Accountability and accounting regulation: the case of Spanish environmental disclosure standard. The European Accounting Review 11(4): 723–740. , , , , .
- 2007. Environmental disclosure and compulsory accounting standards: the case of Spanish anuual reports. Business Strategy and the Environment 16(1): 50–63. , , .
- 1989. Pawns Potentates: The Reality of America's Corporate Boards. Harvard University Graduate School of Business Administration: Boston, MA. , .
- 1995. Factors influencing voluntary annual report disclosure by US, UK and continental European multinational corporations. Journal of International Business Studies 26: 555–572. , , .
- 2009. Corporate social and environment reporting and the impact of internal environmental policy in South Africa. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management 16: 48–60. , .
- 2007. The contribution of corporate social responsibility to sustainable development. Sustainable Development 15: 296–306. .
- 2009. Board characterictics and involvement in strategic decision making: The Nigerian perspective. Management Research News 32(2): 169–184. , , .
- 2000. Changing superfund disclosure and its relation to the provision of other environmental information. Advances in Environmental Accounting & Management 1: 101–121. .
- 2001. Corporate Environmental Responsibility in Singapore and Malaysia: the potential and limits of voluntary initiatives. Business and Society Programme Paper, United Nations Research Institute for Social Development 3: 1–41. , .
- 2009. Factors influencing the disclosure of greenhouse gas emissions in companies world-wide. Management Decision 47(7): 1133–1157. , , , .
- 2007. Does female board representation influence firm performance? The Danish evidence Corporate Governance an International Review 15: 404–413. .
- 1995. America's Competitive Secret: Utilizing Women as a Management Strategy. Oxford University Press: New York. .
- 2011. Obstacles to sustainable development: the destabilization of climate change knowledge. Sustainable Development 19: 157–166. .
- 2009. The relationship between corporate social responsibility disclosure and corporate governance characteristic in Malaysian public listed companies. Social Responsibility Journal 5(2): 212–225. , , .
- 2010. Factors influencing corporate disclosure transparency in the active share trading firms: an explanatory study. Research in Accounting in Emerging Economies 10: 87–118. , .
- 1997. The Hand-Picked Board. Working paper Michigan State University and New York University. , .
- 2009. Determinants of environmental disclosure in the annual reports of large companies operating in Portugal. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management 17: 185–204. DOI: 10.1002/csr.197 , .
- 2008. Corporate environmental disclosures about the effects of climate change. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management 15(6): 338–348. , .
- 2007. Environmental reporting in a developing country: a case study on status and implementation in Malaysia. Journal of Cleaner Production 15(10): 895–901. , , .
- 2008. Adapting to Climate Change: A Business Approach. Pew Center on Global Climate Change. , .
- 2000. Corporate governance and financial transparencies in the Hong Kong special administrative region of the People's Republic of China. Paper presented at the 2nd Asian Roundtable on Corporate Governance, Hong Kong. , .
- UNFCCC. 2007. Climate Change: Impacts, Vulnerabilities and Adaptation in Developing Countries. UNFCC: New York.
- 2010. Determinants of environmental accounting practices in local entities: evidence from Portugal. Social Responsibility Journal 6(3): 404–419. , , .
- 2007. Reporting the Business Implication of Climate Change in Sustainability Reports. , , , , , .
- 1994. The relationship between the comprehensiveness of corporate annual reports and firm characteristic in Spain. Accounting and Business Research 25: 41–53. , , .
- 1986. Positive Accounting Theory. Prentice Hall. , .
- 2004. An examination of socially responsible firms' board structure. Journal of Management and Governance 8: 255–277. .
- WWF. 2008. WWF-Malaysian Position in climate change. http://www.wwf.org.my/media_and_information/wwf_position_statements/?5720 [18 March 2010]
- 2004. Corporate Governance in Malaysia. Malaysian Institute of Corporate Governance. , , .