Cloudy skies: assessing public understanding of global warming
Article first published online: 12 JUL 2002
Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
System Dynamics Review
Special Issue: The Global Citizen: Celebrating the Life of Dana Meadows
Volume 18, Issue 2, pages 207–240, Summer 2002
How to Cite
Sterman, J. D. and Sweeney, L. B. (2002), Cloudy skies: assessing public understanding of global warming. Syst. Dyn. Rev., 18: 207–240. doi: 10.1002/sdr.242
- Issue published online: 12 JUL 2002
- Article first published online: 12 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: MAY 2002
- Manuscript Received: MAR 2002
- 2000. Bathtub dynamics: initial results of a systems thinking inventory. System Dynamics Review 16(4): 249–294. , .
- 1999. The effects of financial incentives in experiments: a review and capital-labor-production framework. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 19(1–3): 7–42. , .
- 2001. Dis-crediting ocean fertilization. Science 294(12 October): 309–310. , , .
- 1995. Effects of feedback complexity on dynamic decision making. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 62(2): 198–215. , .
- 1997. Feedback Complexity in Integrated Climate–Economy Models. PhD thesis, MIT Sloan School of Management, Cambridge, MA 02142. Available at http://home.earthlink.net/∼tomfid/. .
- 2002. Exploring policy options with a behavioral climate–economy model. System Dynamics Review 18(2): 243–267. .
- 1999. Simple Heuristics that Make Us Smart. Oxford University Press: New York. , et al.
- 1998. Sensitivity of boreal forest carbon balance to soil thaw. Science 279(9 January): 214–217. et al.
- 1999. Elementary pre-service teacher perceptions of the greenhouse effect. Journal of Science Education and Technology 8(1): 75–81. ,
- 1999. Waiting for a signal: public attitudes toward global warming, the environment and geophysical research. American Geophysical Union. Available at http://www.agu.org/sci_soc/attitude_study.html. .
- IPCC 2001a. Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Summary for Policymakers. A Report of Working Group 1 of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. IPCC Third Assessment Report. Available at http://www.ipcc.ch.
- IPCC 2001b. Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Technical Summary. A Report of Working Group 1 of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. IPCC Third Assessment Report. Available at http://www.ipcc.ch.
- 1959. The colloid and the crystal. In The Armchair Science Reader, GordanI, SorkinS (eds). Simon and Schuster: New York. .
- 1999. Letter to the editor. The Chemical Engineer 25 November, p. 25. .
- 1989. System dynamics meets the press. System Dynamics Review 5(1): 68–80. .
- 1999. Identifying and addressing students' alternative conceptions of the causes of global warming: the need for cognitive conflict. Journal of Science Education and Technology 8(3): 235–239. , .
- 2000. Not only the tragedy of the commons: misperceptions of feedback and policies for sustainable development. System Dynamics Review 16(4): 325–348. .
- 1992a. The “DICE” Model: Background and Structure of a Dynamic Integrated Climate–Economy Model of the Economics of Global Warming. Cowles Foundation Discussion Paper No. 1009. Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics: New Haven, CT. .
- 1992b. An optimal transition path for controlling greenhouse gases. Science 258(20 November): 1315–1319. .
- 1995. Limiting future atmospheric carbon dioxide. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 9(1): 121–137. , , .
- 2001. Potential impacts of CO2 injection on deep-sea biota. Science 294(12 October): 319–320. , .
- 1989a. Misperceptions of feedback in dynamic decision making. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 43(3): 301–335. .
- 1989b. Modeling managerial behavior: misperceptions of feedback in a dynamic decision making experiment. Management Science 35(3): 321–339. .
- 1994. Learning in and about complex systems. System Dynamics Review 10(2–3): 291–330. .
- 2000. Business Dynamics: Systems Thinking and Modeling for a Complex World. Irwin/McGraw-Hill: New York. .