Models for collaboration: how system dynamics helped a community organize cost-effective care for chronic illness
Version of Record online: 21 SEP 2004
Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
System Dynamics Review
Volume 20, Issue 3, pages 199–222, Autumn (Fall) 2004
How to Cite
Homer, J., Hirsch, G., Minniti, M. and Pierson, M. (2004), Models for collaboration: how system dynamics helped a community organize cost-effective care for chronic illness. Syst. Dyn. Rev., 20: 199–222. doi: 10.1002/sdr.295
- Issue online: 21 SEP 2004
- Version of Record online: 21 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: APR 2004
- Manuscript Received: AUG 2003
- American Diabetes Association and National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (ADA/NIDDK). 2002. The Prevention or Delay of Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 25: 742– 749.
- American Heart Association (AHA). 2000. 2001 Heart and Stroke Statistical Update. AHA: Dallas, Tx.
- 2002. Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2000. Journal of the American Medical Association 288: 1723– 1727. , , , .
- 1998. Design of simulators to enhance learning: examples from a health care microworld. Proceedings of the International Conference of the System Dynamics Society, Quebec City, Quebec. , .
- 1999. Microworlds and generic structures as resources for integrating care and improving health. System Dynamics Review 15( 3): 315– 330. , .
- 1975. A New Framework for Projecting Dental Manpower Requirements. Inquiry 12( 2): 126– 142. , .
- 1984. Cardiovascular disease in the Dutch population: a model-based approach to scenarios. Ministry of Health: Conference on Health Care Scenarios. The Hague, Netherlands, August. , .
- 1996. Persons with chronic conditions: their prevalence and costs. Journal of the American Medical Association 276( 18): 1473– 1479. . , .
- 2003. Models for collaboration: how system dynamics helped a community organize cost-effective care for chronic illness. Proceedings of the 21st International System Dynamics Conference, New York, NY. , , , .
- Institute for Health and Aging, University of California, San Francisco. 1996. Chronic Care in America: A 21st Century Challenge. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: Princeton, NJ. Available at: http://www.rwjf.org/publications/publicationsPdfs/Chronic_Care_in_America.pdf. [Last accessed 21 July 2004]
- Institute of Medicine Committee on Quality of Health Care in America (IoM). 2001. Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. National Academy Press: Washington, DC.
- 1981. Prevention and rehabilitation as a means of cost-containment: the example of myocardial infarction. Journal of Public Health Policy 2( 2): 103– 115. , , , .
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK). 2004a. National Diabetes Statistics. Available at: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/statistics/index.htm. [Last accessed 21 July 2004]
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK). 2004b. Statistics Related to Overweight and Obesity. Available at: http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/nutrit/pubs/statobes.htm#preval. [Last accessed 21 July 2004]
- 1993. Economic impact of heart failure in the United States: time for a different approach. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 13(suppl): S107– S112. , .
- Partnership for Solutions, Better Lives for People with Chronic Conditions. 2004. Johns Hopkins University and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Available at: http://www.partnershipforsolutions.org. [Last accessed 21 July 2004]
- Patient Powered: Patient Centered Healthcare in Whatcom County. 2004. Whatcom County Pursuing Perfection Project. Available at: http://www.patientpowered.org.
- Pursuing Perfection Learning Network. 2004. Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Available at: http://www.ihi.org/IHI/Programs/PursuingPerfection. [Last accessed 21 July 2004]
- 1998. Health economic benefits and quality of life during improved glycemic control in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized, controlled double-blind trial. Journal of the American Medical Association 17: 1490– 1496. , .
- 2001. Effect of improved glycemic control on health care costs and utilization. Journal of the American Medical Association 285( 2): 182– 189. , , , , , .