Using system dynamics to develop policies that matter: global management of poliomyelitis and beyond
Article first published online: 4 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
System Dynamics Review
Volume 24, Issue 4, pages 433–449, Winter 2008
How to Cite
Thompson, K. M. and Tebbens, R. J. D. (2008), Using system dynamics to develop policies that matter: global management of poliomyelitis and beyond. Syst. Dyn. Rev., 24: 433–449. doi: 10.1002/sdr.419
- Issue published online: 4 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 4 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: OCT 2008
- Manuscript Received: SEP 2008
- 2006. Is polio eradication realistic? Science 312(5775): 852–854. , , .
- 2003. Global health goals: lessons from the worldwide effort to eradicate poliomyelitis. Lancet 362: 909–914. , , , , .
- 2006. Risk management in a polio-free world. Risk Analysis 26(6): 1441–1448. , , , , , .
- 2007. Optimal disease eradication. Environment and Development Economics 12(5): 627–652. , .
- Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. 2008. US/UK foreign exchange rate. http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/data/EXUSUK.txt [28 September 2008].
- 1979. Robustness in the strategy of scientific model building. In Robustness in Statistics, LaunerRL, WilkinsonGN (eds). Academic Press: New York; 201–235. .
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. 2008. U.S. Department of Labor Consumer price index. ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/cpi/cpiai.txt [28 September 2008].
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 1993. Recommendations of the International Task Force for Disease Eradication. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 42(RR-16).
- 2008. Why don't well-educated adults understand accumulation? A challenge to researchers, educators, and citizens. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. DOI: 10.1016/j.obhdp.2008.03.003 , , .
- 2006. Global surveillance and the value of information: the case of the global polio laboratory network. Risk Analysis 26(6): 1557–1569. , , , , .
- 2006a. Risks of paralytic disease due to wild or vaccine-derived poliovirus after eradication. Risk Analysis 26(6): 1471–1505. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. A dynamic model of poliomyelitis outbreaks: learning from the past to help inform the future. American Journal of Epidemiology 162(4): 358–372. , , , , , .
- 2008a. Uncertainty and sensitivity analyses of a decision analytic model for post-eradication polio risk management. Risk Analysis 28(4): 855–876. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006b. The costs of future polio risk management policies. Risk Analysis 26(6): 1507–1531. , , .
- 2009. Priority shifting and the dynamics of managing eradicable infectious diseases. Management Science (in press). , .
- 2008b. Uncertainty and sensitivity analyses of a dynamic economic evaluation model for vaccination programs. Medical Decision Making 28(2): 182–200. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Smallpox and its Eradication. World Health Organization: Geneva. , , , , .
- 2007. Dynamics of climate policy. System Dynamics Review 23(1): 21–34. .
- 1994. Stepping out of your own shadow: a didactic example of how facing uncertainty can improve decision-making. Risk Analysis 14(5): 751–761. .
- 2005. Design by deception: the politics of megaproject approval. Harvard Design Magazine Spring/Summer: 50–59. .
- 2003. Megaprojects and Risk. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK. , , .
- 1983. Future developments of the system dynamics paradigm. In International System Dynamics Conference, President's Address, July 1983; D-3454-1. .
- 1989. SDS Banquet Talk: The Beginning of System Dynamics. D-4165-1. .
- 2007. System dynamics: the next fifty years. System Dynamics Review 23(2/3): 359–370. .
- 1997. Disease eradication private versus public vaccination. American Economic Review 87: 222–230. , .
- Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI). 2008. The Polio Pipeline. World Health Organization: Geneva, Switzerland. Available at http://www.polioeradication.org/content/poliopipeline/PolioPipeline_02.pdf [accessed 17 November 2008].
- 1993. Opening is again delayed, and more Circe is needed: Channel tunnel: no end in sight. International Herald Tribune, 20 April 1993. http://www.iht.com/articles/1993/04/20/chun.php [28 September 2008]. .
- 2008. Steering without Circe: attending to reinforcing loops in social systems. System Dynamics Review 24(1): 37–61. , .
- 2007. System dynamics applied to project management: a survey, assessment, and directions for future research. System Dynamics Review 23(2–3): 157–189. , .
- Massachusetts Turnpike Authority. 2007. Cost/schedule update of the Central Artery/Tunnel project. http://www.masspike.com/pdf/finances/costschedule_0507.pdf [28 September 2008].
- 2008. Big Dig's red ink engulfs state: cost spirals to $22b; crushing debt sidetracks other work, pushes agency toward insolvency. Boston Globe, 17 July 2008. http://www.boston.com/news/traffic/bigdig/articles/2008/07/17/big_digs_red_ink_engulfs_state/ [28 September 2008]. .
- 2005. The Cutter Incident: How America's First Polio Vaccine Led to the Growing Vaccine Crisis. Yale University Press: New Haven, CT. .
- 2005. Polio: An American Story. Oxford University Press: New York. .
- 2003. Selling system dynamics to (other) social scientists. System Dynamics Review 19(4): 303–327. .
- 2006. Polio: No cheap way out. Science 2007 316(5823): 362–363. .
- 2003. Policy decision options during the first five years following certification of polio eradication. Medscape General Medicine 5(4) (19 December). http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/464841. , , , .
- 2000. Business Dynamics: Systems Thinking and Modeling for a Complex World. McGraw-Hill: Boston, MA. .
- 2002. All models are wrong: reflections on becoming a systems scientist. System Dynamics Review 18(4): 501–531. .
- 2008. Risk communication on climate: mental models and mass balance. Science 322(5901): 532–533. .
- 2002. Cloudy skies: assessing public understanding of global warming. System Dynamics Review 18(2): 207–240. , .
- 2002. Variability and uncertainty meet risk management and risk communication. Risk Analysis 22(3): 647–654. .
- 2006. Poliomyelitis and the role of risk analysis in global infectious disease policy and management. Risk Analysis 26(6): 1419–1421. .
- 2005. Modeling global policy for managing polioviruses: an analytical journey. Presented at the International Conference of the System Dynamics Society 2005, Boston, MA. http://www.systemdynamics.org/conferences/2005/proceed/papers/THOMP452.pdf [5 November 2008]. , .
- 2006. Retrospective cost-effectiveness analyses for polio vaccination in the United States. Risk Analysis 26(6): 1423–1440. , .
- 2007. Eradication versus control for poliomyelitis: an economic analysis. Lancet 369(9570): 1363–1371. , .
- 2008. The case for cooperation in managing and maintaining the end of poliomyelitis: stockpile needs and coordinated OPV cessation. Medscape Journal of Medicine 10(8): 190 (13 August 2008). http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/578396 [28 September 2008]. , .
- 2006a. Evaluation of response scenarios to potential polio outbreaks using mathematical models. Risk Analysis 26(6): 1541–1556. , , .
- 2008. The risks, costs, and benefits of future global policies for managing polioviruses. American Journal of Public Health 98(7): 1322–1330. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006b. Perspective: development and consideration of global policies for managing the future risks of poliovirus outbreaks: insights and lessons learned through modeling. Risk Analysis 26(6): 1571–1580. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Going beyond the single number: using probabilistic risk assessment to improve risk management. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 2(4): 1008–1034. , .
- 2005. Improving strategic management with the fundamental principles of system dynamics. System Dynamics Review 21(4): 329–350. .
- 2004. Using generic system archetypes to support thinking and modelling. System Dynamics Review 20(4): 341–356. .
- World Health Assembly. 1988. Global eradication of poliomyelitis by the year 2000: Resolution of the 41st World Health Assembly. WHA resolution no. 41.28. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- World Health Organization. 2008. Global polio eradication initiative, financial resource requirements 2008–2012 as of August 2008. World Health Organization: Geneva. http://www.polioeradication.org/content/general/FinalFRR_English2008-2012_August08.pdf [28 September 2008].