Assessing individuals' understanding of nonlinear causal structures in complex systems
Article first published online: 22 FEB 2010
Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
System Dynamics Review
Volume 26, Issue 1, pages 19–33, January/March 2010
How to Cite
Plate, R. (2010), Assessing individuals' understanding of nonlinear causal structures in complex systems. Syst. Dyn. Rev., 26: 19–33. doi: 10.1002/sdr.432
- Issue published online: 22 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 22 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 28 AUG 2008
- 2004. WAND: an ecological network analysis user-friendly tool. Environmental Modeling & Software 19(4): 337–340. and
- 2000. Bathtub dynamics: initial results of a systems thinking inventory. System Dynamics Review 16(4): 249–286. ,
- 1982. The development of causal reasoning. In The Developmental Psychology of Time, WJ Friedman (ed.). Academic Press: New York; 209–254. , ,
- 1997. Web of Life: A New Scientific Understanding of Living Systems. Anchor: New York.
- 2002. Network structure and biodiversity loss in food webs: robustness increases with connectance. Ecology Letters 5: 558–567. , ,
- 1984. Decision makers' beliefs about the causes and effects of structure: an exploratory study. Academy of Management Journal 27(2): 271–291. ,
- 1996. System Dynamics and K-12 Teachers. Lecture at the University of Virginia School of Education: Charlottesville, VA. http://sysdyn.clexchange.org/sdep/papers/D-4665-4.pdf [20 August 2009].
- 2005. From simplistic to complex systems in economics. Cambridge Journal of Economics 29(6): 873–892.
- 2001. Panarchy: Understanding Transformations in Systems of Humans and Nature. Island Press: Washington, DC. ,
- 1997. Linking managerial cognition and organizational performance: a preliminary investigation using causal maps. British Journal of Management (Special Issue) 8: S77–S90. ,
- 2002. Can Students learn stock-flow thinking? An empirical investigation. Proceedings of the 2002 International System Dynamics Conference. System Dynamics Society: Albany, NY. ,
- 1997. Toward a methodology for the measurement of knowledge structures of ordinary people: the conceptual content cognitive map (3CM). Environment and Behavior 29(5): 579–617. ,
- 1999. Stakeholder perspectives on appropriate forest management in the Pacific Northwest. Forest Science 45(1): 62–73. , , ,
- 2007. Beyond covariation: cues to causal structure. In Causal Learning, Gopnik A, Schulz L (eds). Oxford University Press: Oxford; 154–173. , , ,
- 1992. Exploring the need for a shared cognitive map. Journal of Management Studies 29(3): 349–367.
- 2003. Bathtub dynamics at WPI. In Proceedings of the 21st International Conference of the System Dynamics Society. New York. System Dynamics Society: Albany, NY. ,
- 2008. System dynamics in K-12 education: lessons learned. Creative Learning Exchange Newsletter 17(2): 1–17. ,
- 2008. Handbook of Biological Statistics. Sparky House Publishing: Baltimore, MD.
- 1991. Global Citizen. Island Press: Washington, DC.
- 2000. Not only the tragedy of the commons: misperceptions of feedback and policies for sustainable development. System Dynamics Review 16(4): 325–348.
- 1983. Systems Ecology: An Introduction. Wiley: New York.
- 1994. Ecological and General Systems. University Press of Colorado: Niwot, CO.
- 2005. Effect of system dynamics education on systems thinking inventory task performance. System Dynamics Review 21(2): 147–172. ,
- 2005. Dimensions of causal understanding: the role of complex causal models in students understanding of science. Studies in Science Education 41(1): 117–165. ,
- 2008. Attracting institutional support through better assessment of systems thinking. Creative Learning Exchange Newsletter 17(3): 1–8.
- 2005. Students' understanding of complex dynamic systems. Journal of Geoscience Education 53(3): 297–308.
- 1994. System dynamics/systems thinking: let's just get on with it. Delivered at the International System Dynamics Conference. Stirling, U.K. http://www2.umassd.edu/systemdynamics/paper.pdf [20 August 2009].
- 1988. Nonparametric Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences. McGraw-Hill: New York. ,
- 1957. Fundamentals of Curriculum. Revised Edition. World Book Company: Yonkers-on-Hudson, NY. , ,
- 1997. A predictive model of sequential iteration in engineering design. Management Science 43(8): 1104–1120. ,
- 1989. Modeling managerial behavior: misperceptions of feedback in a dynamic decision-making experiment. Management Science 35(3): 321–339.
- 2002. Cloudy skies: assessing public understanding of global warming. System Dynamics Review 18(2): 207–240. ,
- 1990. Food chain to food web: a natural progression? Journal of Biological Education 24(3): 187–190. ,
- 1992. The anthropomorphic machine: causal order in nature and the world view of common sense. British Journal of Psychology 82: 61–96.