How small system dynamics models can help the public policy process
Version of Record online: 20 OCT 2010
Copyright © 2010 System Dynamics Society
System Dynamics Review
Volume 27, Issue 1, pages 22–44, January-March 2011
How to Cite
Ghaffarzadegan, N., Lyneis, J. and Richardson, G. P. (2011), How small system dynamics models can help the public policy process. Syst. Dyn. Rev., 27: 22–44. doi: 10.1002/sdr.442
- Issue online: 23 FEB 2011
- Version of Record online: 20 OCT 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Received: 16 JUN 2009
- 2008. A Scientific Approach to Policy. Science 322(5907): 1435.
- 1976. Introduction to Urban Dynamics. Pegasus Communications: Waltham, MA. ,
- 1997. Scripts for group model building. System Dynamics Review 13(2): 107–129. ,
- 1997. Explaining bargaining impasse: the role of self-serving biases. Journal of Economic Perspectives 11(1): 109–126. ,
- 1994. Judgment in Managerial Decision Making (3rd edn). Wiley: Chichester.
- 1992. Statistical laws of confidence versus behavioral response: how individuals respond to public management decisions under uncertainty. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 2(3): 333–334. ,
- 2006. Demonstrating the utility of system dynamics for public policy analysis in New Zealand: the case of excise tax policy on tobacco. System Dynamics Review 22(4): 321–348. ,
- 1963. A Behavioral Theory of the Firm. Prentice-Hall: Englewood Cliffs, NJ. ,
- 2001. Adaptation as information restriction: the hot stove effect. Organization Science 12(5): 523–538. ,
- 1997. Feedback complexity in integrated climate–economy models. Doctoral Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA.
- 2002. Exploring policy options with a behavioral climate–economy model. System Dynamics Review 18(2): 243–267.
- 1997. System dynamics and the electric power industry. System Dynamics Review 13(1): 57–85.
- 2005. Simulating the impacts of a strategic fuels reserve in California. Energy Policy 33: 483–498.
- 1969. Urban Dynamics. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA. (Now available from Pegasus Communication, Waltham, MA)
- 1971a. World Dynamics. Wright-Allen Press: Cambridge, MA. (Now available from Pegasus Communication, Waltham, MA)
- 1971b. Counterintuitive behavior of social systems. Technology Review 73(3): 52–68.
- 2007. System dynamics: the next fifty years. System Dynamics Review 23(2–3): 359–370.
- 2008. How a system backfires: dynamics of redundancy solution in security. Risk Analysis 28(6): 1669–1687.
- 1992. The weighing of evidence and the determinants of confidence. Cognitive Psychology 24(3): 411–535. ,
- 1986. Assessing uncertainty in physical constants. Journal of Physics 54(9): 791–798. ,
- 2000. Toward a dynamic theory of antibiotic resistance. System Dynamics Review 16(4): 287–319. , , , , ,
- 2004. Models for collaboration: how system dynamics helped a community organize cost-effective care for chronic illness. System Dynamics Review 20(3): 199–222. , , ,
- 2007. Chronic illness in a complex health economy: the perils and promises of downstream and upstream reforms. System Dynamics Review 23(2–3): 313–343. , ,
- 1998. Effectiveness of infrastructure service delivery through earmarking: the case of highway construction in China. System Dynamics Review 14(2–3): 221–255. , ,
- 2004. The middle aging of new public management: into the age of paradox? Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 14(3): 267–282. ,
- 2004. Overconfidence and War: The Havoc and Glory of Positive Illusions. Harvard University Press: Cambridge, MA.
- 1997. Decision quality, confidence, and commitment with expert systems: an experimental study. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 7(1): 131–157. , , , .
- 1977. Do those who know more also know more about what they know. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance 20: 159–183. ,
- 1982. Calibration of probabilities: the state of the art to 1980. In Judgments under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases, KahnemanD, SlovicP, TverskyA (eds). Cambridge University Press: New York; 306–334. , ,
- 1997. The Tides of Reform: Making Government Work 1945–1995. Yale University Press: New Haven, CT.
- 2008. A behavioral theory of insider-threat risks: a system dynamics approach. ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation 18(2): Article 7. , , , ,
- 1998. Public finance, oil revenue expenditure and economic performance: a comparative study of four countries. System Dynamics Review 14(2–3): 189–219.
- 2008. Overconfidence in interval estimates: what does expertise buy you? Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 107(2): 179–191. , ,
- 1972. The Limits to Growth. Universe: New York. , , ,
- 1983. System dynamics: portraying bounded rationality. Omega 11(2): 131–142.
- 1998. Not only the tragedy of the commons: misperceptions of bioeconomics. Management Science 44(9): 1234–1248.
- 2008. Effect of delays on complexity of organizational learning. Management Science 54(7): 1297–1312.
- 2008. Heterogeneity and network structure in the dynamics of diffusion: comparing agent-based and differential equation models. Management Science 54(5): 998–1014. ,
- 2009. Effect of feedback delays on learning. System Dynamics Review 25(4): 309–338. , ,
- 2003. Selling system dynamics to (other) social scientists. System Dynamics Review 19(4): 303–327.
- 2002. Capability traps and self-confirming attribution errors in the dynamics of process improvement. Administrative Science Quarterly 47(2): 265–295. ,
- 1983a. An Interview with Jay Forrester. PLEXUS, System Dynamics News 2.
- 1983b. Heroin addiction and its impact on the community. In Introduction to Computer Simulation: A System Dynamics Approach, RobertsN et al. (eds). Addison-Wesley: Reading, MA; 419–438 (Now available from Pegasus Communication, Waltham, MA).
- 2006. Concept models. In Proceedings of the 2006 International System Dynamics Conference, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 23–27 July.
- 2007. How to anticipate change in tobacco control systems, in Greater than the Sum: Systems Thinking in Tobacco Control, BestA, ClarkPI, LeischowSJ, TrochimWMK (eds). National Cancer Institute, US Department of Health and Human Services, NIH: Bethesda, MD.
- 1995. Teamwork in group model building. System Dynamics Review 11(2): 113–137. ,
- 2002. Misattribution in welfare dynamics: the puzzling dynamics of recidivism. In Proceedings of the 2002 International System Dynamics Conference, Palermo, Italy, 28 July–1 August. , ,
- 2001. An Introduction to Systems Thinking. High Performance Systems: Watkinsville, GA.
- 1998. Towards Sustainable Development: Essays on System Analysis of National Policy (2nd edn). Ashgate: Aldershot, UK.
- 1990. The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization. Doubleday: New York.
- 1989. Modeling managerial behavior: misperceptions of feedback in a dynamic decision making experiment. Management Science 35(3): 321–339.
- 2000. Business Dynamics: Systems Thinking and Modeling for a Complex World. Irwin/McGraw-Hill: Boston, MA.
- 2008. Risk communication on climate: mental models and mass balance. Science 322: 532–533.
- System Dynamics Society. 2009. System Dynamics Bibliography. http://systemdynamics.org/biblio/sdbib.html [1 June 2009].
- 2007. New analysis says eradicating polio a better option than extended control of the disease. Lancet 369: 1363–1371. ,
- 2008. Using system dynamics to develop policies that matter: global management of poliomyelitis and beyond. System Dynamics Review 24(4): 433–449. ,
- Thomson Reuters. 2009. ISI web of knowledge. http://www.isiwebofknowledge.com [20 September 2009].
- 1974. Judgment under uncertainty: heuristics and biases. Science 185(4157): 1124–1131. ,
- 1996. Group Model Building: Facilitating Team Learning. Wiley: Chichester.
- 2006. Threshold setting and the cycling of a decision threshold. System Dynamics Review 22(1): 1–26. ,
- 2004. Using simulation models to address “what if” questions about welfare reform. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 23(4): 890–901. , , ,